Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Managers in England

TENEMENTFUNSTER

There's no room for sentimentality in football. End of story. They have been awful for months and if they stay up it will have been the right decision.

Ironically, i would say that traditionally sentimentality is the very lifeblood of football, as the majority of fans are attached to their clubs through an irrational personal bond, regardless of how shite or well they are doing. 

It's why former players are often the first to be touted for managerial positions, and why potential signings to or from traditionally rival clubs can be met with huge resistance ("he's a hun" etc).

However, the more that corporate (TV) money replaces fan-generated money, the more that will influence a club's decisions over what the fans think, and as you rightly say, corporations have no room for sentimentality.

Ironically, i would say that traditionally sentimentality is the very lifeblood of football, as the majority of fans are attached to their clubs through an irrational personal bond, regardless of how shite or well they are doing. 

It's why former players are often the first to be touted for managerial positions, and why potential signings to or from traditionally rival clubs can be met with huge resistance ("he's a hun" etc).

However, the more that corporate (TV) money replaces fan-generated money, the more that will influence a club's decisions over what the fans think, and as you rightly say, corporations have no room for sentimentality.

I had drafted something very similar over lunch, but wasn't really happy with the coherence of it, think emotions got in the way.  You've put it much more succinctly  :thumbsup:

If that bit in bold were true - and I'm not saying it isn't - then how do you explain the lack of "traditional sentimentality" shown to the board of AFC over the last 20+ years?

Why didn't the fans object to Milne and let him know what they thought?

Did they not see what he was doing? Did they think he's been operating with the club's best interests at heart?

Why have the majority of us not voiced our concerns over this very extended period?

• 2 weeks later...

See Alex Neil has been "resigned (tm The Sevco, 2017)" by Norwich.

Bet The Sevco are sick.

I reckon they saw Neil has a cheap option that might make them look ambitious to their zombie followers.

Lovely that Norwich have seen through that and held onto him until it was certain they could not get compo for a failing manager, before punting him.

See Alex Neil has been "resigned (tm The Sevco, 2017)" by Norwich.

Bet The Sevco are sick.

I reckon they saw Neil has a cheap option that might make them look ambitious to their zombie followers.

Lovely that Norwich have seen through that and held onto him until it was certain they could not get compo for a failing manager, before punting him.

Neil is a Roman Catholic from Coatbridge. I doubt even the most progressive of sevco boardmembers would have thought he was the answer to their managerial conundrum however cheap an option he may have been.

What odds he is however unveiled as Motherwell manager by midweek

Neil is a Roman Catholic from Coatbridge. I doubt even the most progressive of sevco boardmembers would have thought he was the answer to their managerial conundrum however cheap an option he may have been.

What odds he is however unveiled as Motherwell manager by midweek

Never. He' a cut above them.

Wouldn't mind him at us if McInnes ever left. He's about the only guy out there I can think of who could do a job.

Never. He' a cut above them.

Wouldn't mind him at us if McInnes ever left. He's about the only guy out there I can think of who could do a job.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Unless McLeish is at a bigger club than us at the time of Deeks inevitable departure ( which i think will be at the end of his current contract at the absolute latest ) then it is written in the stars that he will come home.

It will be a pretty uninspiring appointment but hes a relatively safe if boring pair of hands. The oldco connection will not be forgotten and his tenure will be relatively brief...

I'd hate to see McLeish back at us a manager! He strikes me as having embraced the weegie mentality and sees himself as being better than us. He just comes across wrong any time i've seen him on the box lately, it's like he's pissed or suffering the heebie jeebies!

I noticed Steve McLaren got sacked yet again the other night.... how many times does that guy need to be sacked after a short time in charge for clubs to realise he's just a shit manager?!

• 1 month later...

I see Norwich are sniffing about Michael O'Neil, he'd have been one of my choices to replace DM when he eventually decides to move on.

We could never have the ambition to approach someone as good as O'Neill. We wouldn't make that type of investment.

I don't see McInnes as being so good or demand for him ever being big enough that HE decides to move on. Sack the man after agreeing terms with Lennon is what I'd like to see.

Norn Irn are paying O'Neill wages far in excess of what Scotland are paying the wee ginger shyte. So i doubt hes a viable replacement when the inevitable time comes. FWIW if the sevco Portuguese experiment is cut short in the next 12 months (probably less) and they come sniffing around Deek I'd be tempted to take the million quid compo and if Alex Neil is stiil out a job give him a shottie

Norn Irn are paying O'Neill wages far in excess of what Scotland are paying the wee ginger shyte. So i doubt hes a viable replacement when the inevitable time comes. FWIW if the sevco Portuguese experiment is cut short in the next 12 months (probably less) and they come sniffing around Deek I'd be tempted to take the million quid compo and if Alex Neil is stiil out a job give him a shottie

I'd deffo insist on used bank notes if it comes to compo from that lot.

• 2 weeks later...