Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Vernon apologies to team for his performance

mizer

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2010/12/30/aberdeen-striker-scott-vernon-admits-he-must-do-more-despite-winning-goal-86908-22815397/

SCOTT VERNON earned Aberdeen a precious triumph - only to then apologise to his team-mates for having a Hamilton howler.

The English striker popped up in stoppage time at New Douglas Park to secure the 1-0 victory and hand new boss Craig Brown a second straight win.

Vernon also provided the winner four days ago at Hibs.

But Brown said: "That was nothing like the way Scott played at Easter Road and he's a humble boy.

"He deserves credit for scoring the goals. You can't argue with two winners in two away games.

"But Scott knows he didn't have his best game for Aberdeen.

"He finished well but apologised for his overall performance."

Brown punched the air as the bench exploded after the winner and keeper Jamie Langfield ran the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the travelling supporters.

The Dons boss added: "If anyone was going to score at the end, it was us.

"We played poorly in the first half but were better in the second half without being outstanding.

"Hamilton seemed to be accepting a draw with 15 minutes to go. That was the impression I got.

"The spine of the team was excellent and strong and I cannot emphasise enough the support.

"We had 1300 down here on a midweek afternoon. They saw their team lose seven in a row, yet the Aberdeen end was packed at Easter Road and here again."

Billy Reid watched Accies fall six behind the Dons at the bottom of the table.

Reid became the longest-serving Accies boss - his five years and six months overtaking Jimmy McStay's record.

But it proved an unhappy anniversary. Reid said: "I thought it was going to end 0-0.

"But we made a mistake and lost a goal. It was a kick in the teeth after not playing for five weeks.

"We matched Aberdeen in every department."

I like Vernon, he was signed as a replacement for Miller, but he's nothing like Miller.

Miller was all fancy touches and holding the ball up when what we've needed was someone to be in the right place at the right time and put the ball into the net. Vernon does that well.

Everyone wanks when Mackie gets into double figures, Vernon's almost there barely halfway through the season.

I like Vernon, I think he is exactly the kind of striker we've been missing for a long time. It was frustrating as under McGhee, he and Maguire would show glimpses of forming a decent partnership, and then he'd ship Maguire out wide :hammer:

We needed a guy to score all the messy goals, and so far he's doing that. That's good enough start for me :thumbsup:

"We needed a guy to score all the messy goals, and so far he's doing that. That's good enough start for me" :thumbsup:

that will do fir me too , he seems a good wee character and it takes a bit o gumpsion to stand up and say sorry for not being 100% ( if he did say it) . Now he needs to get stuck in and prove himself , especially after this article

im absolutely ecstatic to hear him say that

i must be in the minority as i actually thought he was fine in difficult circumstances

he's got the face of a guy you could make cry quite easily.

by that, i mean he doesnt look like a "strong" willed guy, or give off an aura of confidence, but i liked him yesterday

he was blatantly shoved over in the box and for the next 15/20 mins he was throwing himself about - i liked that

I like Vernon. Certainly knows where the goal is which is what we've been crying out for since Stavrum. Although he does have a tendency to drift in and out of games but is always willing to come back and help out the team when defending if need be. Far more effective than Lee Miller IMO.

I think it was Liam McLeod commentating on the radio saying 5 minutes before he scored that Vernon was having a shocker!

I like Vernon, he was signed as a replacement for Miller, but he's nothing like Miller.

Miller was all fancy touches and holding the ball up when what we've needed was someone to be in the right place at the right time and put the ball into the net. Vernon does that well.

Everyone wanks when Mackie gets into double figures, Vernon's almost there barely halfway through the season.

Agreed. Vernon played some excellent passes from the middle, through the defence for Bebo, Aluko, Folly etc down the flank.

Onlt thing I'd have faulted him on is not getting onto the end of crosses sharp enough.

Booth was slating him for not holding the ball long enough to allow players such as Maguire, Jack and Aluko to get round him and do something creative.

maybe so. Booth certainly knows more about it than me anyway.

He usually does ok holding it up so not too worried.

I don't think he's a great player but he's gone up in my estimation in the last couple games. Nice to feel that there's someone who will take a chance if they get it.

Thats good to hear things like that, think if we had Aluko and McGuire firing more often creating chances this guy could score 15-20 a season. Still 8 in 19 or something still a have decent return  :clap:

even more so of an achievement considering how gash we've been this season.