Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Langfield, Considine and Diamond

Kowalski

Langfield can’t offer many saving graces

By Michael Gannon

Published: 31/01/2011

Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield knows the Dons have let down their long-suffering supporters yet again and that it will take an almighty effort to win back their affections.

The Red Army invaded Hampden for the League Cup semi-final against Celtic, with 14,000 optimistic souls helping to swell the attendance to 38,085 – the biggest gate in the last four of the competition since the Old Firm met in 2002.

But a familiar capitulation will lead to recrimination and Langfield is aware they cannot keep subjecting the supporters to such painful humiliation.

The 4-1 scoreline fails to reflect the poverty of the Dons performance in an encounter which was all but over after 10 minutes. By the time the third goal arrived in just 21 minutes, some of the Red Army was on the retreat.

Langfield said: “The minute the third goal went in I knew supporters would start heading for the exits. Then when the penalty went in a lot of them would be fearing the worst. We had to pull together as a group and make sure no more goals went in. But it is a very disappointing day after it promised so much.

“Every man knew what he had to do and what he did wrong.

“There is nothing I can say that the supporters do not feel themselves. We know we have let everybody down.

“We know they follow us in great numbers, so we have to pick up our heads and try to win back their trust. We know it is going to be very hard. I have been here so long I am used to it but we have to go again and try to get them back onside.

“I am working as hard as I possibly can to get this club to finals and winning finals. It has not happened, so we need to build a relationship between us and the supporters again. Hopefully, we can do it in the Scottish Cup.

“This was my first time playing at Hampden and you don’t get a bigger stage. I was grateful to get the opportu-nity but we did not do ourselves justice. We have to try to get back here and, hopefully, send the supporters back up the road happy next time.”

The Dons looked a defeated lot right from the off. The untested 5-4-1 formation was a calculated risk which backfired, causing confusion in the ranks and chasms in the flanks.

The goals were symptomatic, however, not systematic.

Langfield said: “We changed the system but that would be totally looking for excuses. Each player in that dressing-room knows they did not do themselves justice. We just capitulated.”

Fire_alarm6.jpg

considine on his day can play rather well and seems to have at least a little bit of heart for a fight ( could've said the same about diamond a while back though ,so we'll see ) At the end of the day i'd like to see him stay . As for langfield and diamond i think it's time for club and players to move on . I wish them well as it can't be denied they have been here for some good times as well as bad . but ultimatley  :wave:

aye, if only he could go into opposition players with such thunderous challenges.  Once again he was left on his arse by 5'9 Hooper more than once. Do some weights you fucking clown.

hooper only 5'9?  He's a stocky lad to be fair but exscuses diamonds performance tonight not.  Thought mcardle looked really good in the middle tonight, really put himself about

Another shocker from Diamond by all accounts?

Fucking pathetic. A complete disaster from start to finish. I think the one move that summed him up was when he had an easy header back to langfield but instead of this option he decided to blindly hack it out for a Celtic throw inviting yet more pressure on us needlessly.

Fucking pathetic. A complete disaster from start to finish. I think the one move that summed him up was when he had an easy header back to langfield but instead of this option he decided to blindly hack it out for a Celtic throw inviting yet more pressure on us needlessly.

I couldn't believe it when he did that. I don't think it even got as far as a throw in did it? Did he not just hack away to a Celtic player instead of a simple header back to Langfield?