Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Its not all going to change over night

Ajja

I expect a virtual kicking for this post but fuck it, I'm going to post it anyway.

I am as gutted as everyone else about the way we played on Saturday, it took us 45 minutes to realise we were at a cup semi-final and there is no excusing the lack of fight that we showed in all areas of the park.

However, this is the team that 8 weeks ago was getting horsed by anyone who came up against us. We were the SPL punchbag with no confidence, an imbalanced squad and a battered support. Despite the obvious changes that Brown has made to the teams morale as well as a few personnel changes that looked to have improved things we have a long long way to go to be turning up to a semi-final and knocking out Celtic. A Celtic side who are flying, who brushed a strong Hearts side away with little effort 3 days previously. They were strong and fluid and we were nowhere near competing with them.

Just because 14,000 fans turn up to watch us, doesn't mean we become a great side as a result. We have beaten some of the poorest sides in the SPL and East Fife over the last weeks, it's improvement but people need to realise what Aberdeen FC are at the moment. We are a fragile side with a few encouraging results under our belts with a glimmer of optimism ahead. It doesn't all just change overnight and this game came too early for that team. Celtic are streets ahead of us and it showed. We just have to pick ourselves up, forget the blow it delivers and keep rebuilding. If we can keep seeing some momentum then maybe the Scottish cup becomes a more achievable goal.

SF.

Said much the same in the match thread.

Scottish Cup is where it's at anyway  :thumbsup:

So you did, I didn't go near the match thread. I assumed a train wreck! Only read the one about our support and it confirmed my fears of knee-jerkville.  :-\

I think most peoples problem is not that we lost but in the way that we lost. If we had got beat 4-1 but it looked like we were even making it hard for celtic I am sure that many fans would not be as hurt as they were or are. The big problem is that we made it far too easy for them as you yourself have alluded to in your second paragraph.

I think most peoples problem is not that we lost but in the way that we lost. If we had got beat 4-1 but it looked like we were even making it hard for celtic I am sure that many fans would not be as hurt as they were or are. The big problem is that we made it far too easy for them as you yourself have alluded to in your second paragraph.

Agreed. We have some serial offenders when it comes to not turning up to these games. We need to move them on from this club but that only serves to re-iterate my point that its going to take Brown time. He has at least demonstrated that he might make the right changes, unlike McGhee who failed to show a change of fortune from day 1.

On the money with this post Ajja. We didnt suddenly become a great side overnight but I think that the feel good factor made large sections of the support over confident.

Coopy is right though and we definitely need to get rid of the usual suspects who have let us down too many times.

I'm sure, or I think we discussed this during the game and I agreed at the time. It still doesn't take the pain away though. I pray that Brown gets rid of these serial offenders in the summer and hopefully have a side that does not bottle it, or at least, to a lesser extent.

I think we all knew we were getting carried away with the optimism, but I genuinely felt that we could do some damage. Just a shame, hopefully Brown has learned from it and won't play a bizarre formation like that again.

I alluded to the same on here last week at some point, with a lot of people praising how Brown had turned it round etc. My feeling is we've carried a lot of luck that was missing earlier in the season and had a fortunate run of fixtures.

At about 3:30pm on Saturday I found that team to be as piss poor as I could remember at any point of any season, it was beyond diabolical.

February is a big month for us, I think we may struggle to dispose of Dunfermline on Sunday being honest.

I'm sure, or I think we discussed this during the game and I agreed at the time. It still doesn't take the pain away though. I pray that Brown gets rid of these serial offenders in the summer and hopefully have a side that does not bottle it, or at least, to a lesser extent.

I think we all knew we were getting carried away with the optimism, but I genuinely felt that we could do some damage. Just a shame, hopefully Brown has learned from it and won't play a bizarre formation like that again.

The test will be contract renewals, if he keeps Langfield then we know nothing is going to change.

The test will be contract renewals, if he keeps Langfield then we know nothing is going to change.

I'm more concerned about Diamond now to be honest. I think he is indicative of a regime that has got comfortable with failure and although I always felt there was a player there waiting to get out after Saturday I think his footballing limitations and poor decision making just keep letting us down when it really matters. He needs to go now.

I alluded to the same on here last week at some point, with a lot of people praising how Brown had turned it round etc. My feeling is we've carried a lot of luck that was missing earlier in the season and had a fortunate run of fixtures.

At about 3:30pm on Saturday I found that team to be as piss poor as I could remember at any point of any season, it was beyond diabolical.

February is a big month for us, I think we may struggle to dispose of Dunfermline on Sunday being honest.

Agreed . . . I'm seriously debating whether to go to both Tuesday's game against Celtic and Sunday's game against Dunfermline.  I don't have any confidence in the team for either fixture.  I certainly won't be going to every league fixture at home in February if there is not a rapid improvement in the performance from Saturday

:hammer:

I fear that the Brown "bounce" may have come to an end now. As ever we allowed ourselves to get a bit carried away, and I was no exception, anticipating a far better performance from the team on Saturday. Celtic were just far too good in comparison and came out at the start of the game raring to go, where we were left at the starting gate, looking mesmerised and awestruck.

It shows the massive task that Craig Brown has ahead of him if we are to be seriously considered as some sort of force in the SPL. And forget about the Scottish Cup, there's no point in being lulled into another disaster.

Has the last month been any different to the start of the season when we were supposedly title contenders? People need to learn to keep their feet on the ground. :hammer:

Sorry padre but thats a load of pish.  The semi final was a huge blow, but things are much better than at the start of the season, the team is obviously still work in progress but even that is streets ahead of what it was like under mcghee.

Sorry padre but thats a load of pish.  The semi final was a huge blow, but things are much better than at the start of the season, the team is obviously still work in progress but even that is streets ahead of what it was like under mcghee.

I'm talking about fans getting over excited though. Remember when we had a nanosecond at the top of the league and people were getting all frothy mouthed about it? It was ridiculous then and people are doing much the same now.

I'm talking about fans getting over excited though. Remember when we had a nanosecond at the top of the league and people were getting all frothy mouthed about it? It was ridiculous then and people are doing much the same now.

I'm not sure all that many people are getting frothy about it though, what i see is optimism at having a manager that actually has a clue what he's doing (despite all evidence on saturday suggesting otherwise).

Agreed . . . I'm seriously debating whether to go to both Tuesday's game against Celtic and Sunday's game against Dunfermline.  I don't have any confidence in the team for either fixture.  I certainly won't be going to every league fixture at home in February if there is not a rapid improvement in the performance from Saturday

:hammer:

What a load of pish.

Saturday was terrible but you don't just suddenly give up on the lads after one game.  There has been a huge improvement since Broon came on board and the players and club should get all they backing we can give them through what will be a tough month or two.  Tough, because although we have improved massively we are still stuck with the majority of the squad McGhee assembled.

I still have every confidence that we'll get past Dunfermline. I've seen nothing to change that point of view. Obviously being an Aberdeen fan means that nothing is a sure thing but I think Broon and Knox will steer us past without too many problems.

What a load of pish.

Saturday was terrible but you don't just suddenly give up on the lads after one game.  There has been a huge improvement since Broon came on board and the players and club should get all they backing we can give them through what will be a tough month or two.  Tough, because although we have improved massively we are still stuck with the majority of the squad McGhee assembled.

The problem is that some may see it as not only one game. Three chances to progress to a final have ended up in absolute spankings. The celtic game some may seem as the last straw. Indeed there has been a vast improvement under brown and knox but we are still in the bottom half of the league with some very hard games still to come. The thoughts of some may be that they have been booted in the balls once too many by this current dons team and various individuals in it and do not wish to pay for the privilege of that happening again. I must admit I felt like this after the game on Saturday. I will be going tonight though. Glutton for punishment I am!

I still have every confidence that we'll get past Dunfermline. I've seen nothing to change that point of view. Obviously being an Aberdeen fan means that nothing is a sure thing but I think Broon and Knox will steer us past without too many problems.

Agreed. After the cup game we have two huge games against St Johnstone and Motherwell than we must win to push for top 6 and we should be confident going into those games as well. Celtic are not the benchmark for us at present, they'll keep.

I agree Ajja, what disapointed me was not getting beat by Celtic but the manner in which we got beat.

Especially after the great battling performance the previous week.

But as you said we have beaten the smaller teams recently (saying that these are teams I expected to beat us under the previous management) and progress is going to be slow and we will have the odd blip along the way.