Milsom - Long Term Contract

BigAl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Milsom shows his staying power

I am really enjoying it at Pittodrie and would like to stay, says former Fulham reserves captain

By Michael Gannon

Published: 21/02/2011

Aberdeen midfielder Rob Milsom wants to drive the Dons into the top half of the Scottish Premier League and earn a long-term deal at Pittodrie.

The former Fulham reserves captain played a key role as Aberdeen stormed to a 5-0 home victory against Kilmarnock on Saturday to strengthen their chances of reaching the top six before the split.

The Dons are seven points behind sixth-placed Caley Thistle with a game in hand and eight matches until the division splits for the run-in.

The prospect seemed unthinkable when Craig Brown took charge in December with Aberdeen bottom of the table but the Reds are now 12 points clear of Hamilton, who come to Pittodrie tomorrow.

The Dons will be in confident mood after Scott Vernon, Sone Aluko, Chris Maguire, Rory McArdle and Josh Magennis racked up the club’s record SPL victory and their first five-goal league haul since the 5-3 victory against Dundee United in September 2000.

Ambitious Milsom is out of contract in the summer and is determined to secure a new deal. He said: “We have not been thinking about breaking into the top six too much, just trying to take every game as it comes and win. But if we do that we’ll break into the top six.

“It is a realistic aim. We had a dip against Motherwell but, if we can string a few good performances and results from now until the split, we have a good chance for the top six. Craig and Archie have been around and know their stuff and that’s all incorporated in the turnaround.

“I’ve had talks about my future at Aberdeen but nothing in writing. I am really enjoying it here and would like to stay. I like to get on the ball and keep passing. As long as everyone feels I’m doing a good job I’m happy.”

Milsom’s commitment to the cause on Saturday was undeniable. He suffered a nasty wound in his ankle against Dunfermline 13 days previously and performed impressively against Kilmarnock despite appearing to be in discomfort at times.

He said: “I managed to get through most of the game despite some knocks on the injury I took against Dunfermline.

“I felt at the time like I had just taken a bit of a whack and it wasn’t till I looked down and saw a lot of blood that I knew it was worse.

“It was a nasty one and I am a bit squeamish as well.

“It needed five stitches but, fortunately, there was no damage inside the leg.

“I trained the last two days and came through all right and I was very happy to be part of such a good performance and result.

“A lot of players chipped in with goals, I would have liked to get one myself.”

Aberdeen will have captain Paul Hartley and Andrew Considine available to face Hamilton after serving suspensions.

Let's hope he signs it. He's looked the part and has already stated that he wants CB to make him an offer.  :thumbsup:

Who are the definites in our midfield next year in terms of actually still being under contract?

Not sure but I think we have: Hartley (past it), Young (never had it) Fyvie (coming off a year out), Pawlett (seemingly lost his spark).  Although that could be Hartley (inspirational leader and tons of experience), Young (excellent squad player, will always give 100%), Fyvie (best prospect in years) and Pawlett (most exciting player with the ball at his feet since Jess)

Not sure but I think we have: Hartley (past it), Young (never had it) Fyvie (coming off a year out), Pawlett (seemingly lost his spark).  Although that could be Hartley (inspirational leader and tons of experience), Young (excellent squad player, will always give 100%), Fyvie (best prospect in years) and Pawlett (most exciting player with the ball at his feet since Jess)

Pretty sure Young is out of contract this season. Would be very disappointed if he was not sent on his way to junior football where he belongs.

Entirely harsh.  Young has done nothing to deserve such derision.

He is far too easy a target for the typically lazy minded dons fan who takes glee in whinging about non-flair players who do their job and give their all for little or no accolade.

See Darren Mackie, Brian Grant and Brian Irvine

I would say that Brian Grant was very well liked by Dons fans, in fact in a midfield of Connor, Bett and Grant, Granty didn't get anywhere near the stick the other two got and I think there was a high level of admiration for him from our support.  He is certainly in my top 5 favourite Dons of all time, and know a lot of my mates hold him in equally high regard.

I appreciate the point you're making, but there is no way I'd ever put Grant in with those other players.

I have no recollection of Grant or Irvine being unpopular with the fans.

Obviously my feelings on Irvine are well documented here; he wasn't a good player.  A lot of Dons fans (particularly the away crowd at the time) I would say had reservations about him but Irvine had a lot of goodwill in the bank - he had scored the winning pen in the 1990 Cup Final and everyone appreciated taking over the no.6 shirt was a near thankless task.  He was rash and ungainly but even I can appreciate he had his moments and played with all his heart for the Dons which can only ever be a good thing.