Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Football Years - STV

glasgow sheep

Strangely enough, I don't remember much about Ralph Milne.  ???

Interesting that McNeill seems to regret leaving us!

Anyway, that was great.  Some wonderful memories and some nice interviews.  I never tire of seeing our second goal against Bayern!  :thumbsup:

:AFC:

Who is Ralph Milne and why hasn't he got into helping insomniacs?

Still find it bizarre that Fergie signed him for Man Utd, however I it is alleged that he has admitted that Milne was in fact his worst ever signing for Man U.

The TV programmes are good, but can't beat having lived through it :thumbsup:

Agree Al?

Missed this post MBT.

Got to agree with you on this.

To the younger lads on here imagine attending three cup finals in a row against the brothers grim and winning them all and having the luxury of your manager slating the team after one of them, because despite the victory it wasn't up to the standard you'd become used to  ;)

Missed this post MBT.

Got to agree with you on this.

To the younger lads on here imagine attending three cup finals in a row against the brothers grim and winning them all and having the luxury of your manager slating the team after one of them, because despite the victory it wasn't up to the standard you'd become used to  ;)

True Al, we didnt know how lucky we were.

I remember being gutted I coulnd't get to Gothenburg, but compensated that by the "knowledge" we'd be in the final in '84 and I could go then  ;D

Still can't believe we lost the semi in the fog at pittodrie :hammer:

You mean the semi-final that Porto were alleged to have bribed the referee?

In the same season Roma are meant to have bribed the ref in their semi with the arabs.

True Al, we didnt know how lucky we were.

In all honesty, I think in part we did. I remember standing in the rain in Gothenburg when the team had finally left the pitch, when I had tears streaming down my face, thinking I'd never see the likes again. Having said that after coming back from Portuga the next year and losing the first leg of the semi 1-0, we booked up for the final in Switzerland. Still struggle to believe we didn't get back to the final. At the time the last four were us, Porto, Juventus and Man Utd, I remember praying we would get Porto ::)

In all honesty, I think in part we did. I remember standing in the rain in Gothenburg when the team had finally left the pitch, when I had tears streaming down my face, thinking I'd never see the likes again. Having said that after coming back from Portuga the next year and losing the first leg of the semi 1-0, we booked up for the final in Switzerland. Still struggle to believe we didn't get back to the final. At the time the last four were us, Porto, Juventus and Man Utd, I remember praying we would get Porto ::)

We would have beaten Man Utd, Al. That Juve team would have been the one with Platini, Rossi and Boniek eh? Think we would have beaten them?

Thanks for the link Kow  :thumbsup:

watched this, this evening. I'm obviously horrendously biased but thought it concentrated more on United which, considering there have only been 3 teams from Scotland to win Euro trophies, is a bit crazy; it almost done us down.

Good contributions by most I thought apart from Chick Young... "You knew Aberdeen were a really good side.. but .... WOOF! Where did Dundee United come from?"

The clue's in the name, Chick....

Liked Hamish McAlpine's comment about "maurice Backpass"... how accurate.

And aye, Richard Gough's still a cunt.

We would have beaten Man Utd, Al. That Juve team would have been the one with Platini, Rossi and Boniek eh? Think we would have beaten them?

Thanks for the link Kow  :thumbsup:

Over ninety minutes and playing as we were capable of, I reckon we could potentially have beaten any of them. My point however was at the time Porto were the least known of the possible opponents and i reckoned by drawing them we probably had represented our best chance of reaching the final.

After first leg, we booked and paid a £50 deposit to travel to Switzerland for the final by train from Aberdeen. Absolutely fucking gutted that night we crashed out to them

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching this weeks episode... 92-93 but it was really all about the huns in the CL.  They broke off talking about that to talk about the League Cup Final, and considering our current predicament (and that of the last 16 years), that Hately cunt gave us a reminder of just how far we have fallen:

"In those days you really wanted the LC, to win the first trophy ahead of ... Aberdeen"

The LC Final was sickening - Winnie's (even though they said it was Aitken) "backpass" and Theo's chest down for McCall to score and then Smith's og - but it was nowhere near as sickening as the Scottish Cup Final.  Grant hitting the post in the first 30 seconds but then before we knew it we were 2 down without doing too much wrong.

They kicked the fuck out of us that day; John Brown assaulted Scott Booth on several occasions but was never punished for it.  Our midfield (in particular Grant, but Richardson and Mason too) were superb and ran the game, the huns were chasing shadows all day but we just couldn't get the second goal after Rico's strike. It was fucking gutting.

I often wonder what our fate would have been if we had won just one of those trophies.  It was probably only second to 90-91 as far as how good a footballing side I've seen regularly in the flesh, but like 90-91 I do wonder about the long term effect that season had on us.

Not sure, think Miller would still have dismantled the side as he wanted the title. It wasn't a lack of resources that stopped us progressing under Miller but how he used them, sadly.  That team was a joy to watch at times, 5's, 6's, 7's, all in the right end too.

Not sure, think Miller would still have dismantled the side as he wanted the title. It wasn't a lack of resources that stopped us progressing under Miller but how he used them, sadly.  That team was a joy to watch at times, 5's, 6's, 7's, all in the right end too.

I read some time ago that Miller actually asked the board for £3m, and had targets identified which he felt could win us the league and the board refused. But no doubt the resources he did get weren't used too wisely.  Joe Miller as a replacement for Paul Mason... EFF EFF ESS.  :hammer:

I read some time ago that Miller actually asked the board for £3m, and had targets identified which he felt could win us the league and the board refused. But no doubt the resources he did get weren't used too wisely.  Joe Miller as a replacement for Paul Mason... EFF EFF ESS.  :hammer:

Paul Mason, fantastic  :thumbsup: