Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Out of contract Players

glasgow sheep

I see BB has posted that Maguire and Milson have been offered been offered new contracts but what about the rest of them.  Am I correct in saying Langfield, Diamond and Aluko are all out of contract, along with McNamee?  Also we have Smith till the end of the season on loan but I think he is contracted to Norwich for another year, I presume very little chance of keeping him.  Anyone else out of contract?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith is supposedly looking to move back to Scotland due to homesickness - hopefully Norwich wouldn't be too hard to deal with, although if they are looking for a fee that rules us out.

McNamee would be a decent signing if he can stay fit.

Think we should be looking to keep Aluko, but wouldn't be devastated if he left.

Langfield and Diamond can GTF.

Smith is supposedly looking to move back to Scotland due to homesickness - hopefully Norwich wouldn't be too hard to deal with, although if they are looking for a fee that rules us out.

Think we should be looking to keep Aluko, but wouldn't be devastated if he left.

What he said.

Is Considine no out of contract aswell?

^^^^^^ Spot on

Aluko's starting to regain the form he showed under JC, if Brown and Knox can keep that going until the end of the season then I'd be happy to see him sign another contract.

Langfield and Diamond are liabilities.

I'd agree mostly but not sure about clangers.  I still think he is a reasonable keeper and probably as good as we can get but then he has been so closely associated with recurrent failures in big matches.

There are a few reasons I think he should be let go and your last point is certainly one of them. 

He makes some very good saves, but what pro keeper doesn't? He doesn't command his area, his distribution is shite, positional sense is very suspect and doesn't move his feet quickly enough.

But more pertinently, he's a loser. He's got a loser's mentality (and he's admitted as much) and once you have it there is no going back.

This 'who is better than Langfield' argument is bollocks. Look at the keepers Dundee United have had in the past ten years - could we not have had any of them with a bit of scouting?

I'm fairly hopeful Brown and Knox will have identified Langfield as being mediocre, and will have the mechanisms in place to replace him.

Cerny from Hamilton would be an option, if they get relegated and aren't looking for a fee.  :-\

Replacements for Langfield are pretty thin on the ground. Who do we go for?

No idea. But just because we don't know shouldn't mean we stick with what is a mediocre keeper at best.  I'd never heard of Rob Milsom before he signed for us, and he's proving to be a very good player for us. It's down to CB and AK and their scouts to unearth a keeper who is an improvement on Langfield.

Replacements for Langfield are pretty thin on the ground. Who do we go for?

Isn't Cammy Bell out of contract the end of the season too?

I've not seen enough of him to form a proper opinion, but he's young and forced his way into the last few Scotland squads and Jim Leighton rates him.

Just a suggestion. That or another Peter Kjear style signing would be good.

This 'who is better than Langfield' argument is bollocks. Look at the keepers Dundee United have had in the past ten years - could we not have had any of them with a bit of scouting?

I'm fairly hopeful Brown and Knox will have identified Langfield as being mediocre, and will have the mechanisms in place to replace him.

Cerny from Hamilton would be an option, if they get relegated and aren't looking for a fee.  :-\

And look at the keepers Hibs have had, we could just as easily end up with the likes of them as well. Better the devil you know till something else equal or better appears and we can actually afford.

And look at the keepers Hibs have had, we could just as easily end up with the likes of them as well. Better the devil you know till something else equal or better appears and we can actually afford.

surely though we can expect CB to do the proper groundwork on this? If players are scouted properly then this shouldn't be an issue, ok every manager makes mistakes but to say we may end up with some of the clowns Hibs have had as a reason for keeping Langfield is pretty horrifying to be honest.  How do we ever improve if we don't sign players just because other teams have had nightmares in recruiting for similar positions?

i think cerny would be a good shout, from what i have seen he has the makings of a decent keeper and if leighton rates bell thats good enough for me as well.  I have defended langfield in the past and think he is a really good shotstopper but its become clear hes never going to learn how to command his area effectively. 

i think cerny would be a good shout, from what i have seen he has the makings of a decent keeper and if leighton rates bell thats good enough for me as well.  I have defended langfield in the past and think he is a really good shotstopper but its become clear hes never going to learn how to command his area effectively.

Did Leighton not allegedly rate Bossu also?

No, he was signed against his advice. One of the dunniest/scariest things I have ever seen was Leighton teaching him the basics during preseason.

His performance against Killie at Rugby Park was without doubt, far and away, the worst goalkeeping performance I have ever witnessed. It was real candid camera stuff.

Isn't Cammy Bell out of contract the end of the season too?

I've not seen enough of him to form a proper opinion, but he's young and forced his way into the last few Scotland squads and Jim Leighton rates him.

Just a suggestion. That or another Peter Kjear style signing would be good.

In the limited games I have seen Bell in he has looked pretty poor and no better than anything we already have. Also getting into the Scotland squad as the kit bag carrier is nothing special. Langfield managed it as well.