Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

St Mirren - Aberdeen 6.4.2011 7.45pm

Harcus

Guest ally s

All about opinions, McNamee is injury prone and pish.  Feel that Smith is talked up but mainly because we had no left back before, therefore anything is an improvement. Not saying he's not a decent player though. Perhaps he and Milsom are good indications of what Brown can do but my point was more that he's strying to keep players who have proved for years that they are not good enough.

Not sure who you've marked down as a loser but who has actually been offered a new deal?

Do you not think there's a chance Brown could turn turn these players round?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All about opinions, McNamee is injury prone and pish.  Feel that Smith is talked up but mainly because we had no left back before, therefore anything is an improvement. Not saying he's not a decent player though. Perhaps he and Milsom are good indications of what Brown can do but my point was more that he's strying to keep players who have proved for years that they are not good enough.

The problem is the squad is so threadbare after McGhee that once the loan signings go home if we let all the out of contract players go then we are in a position of needing to sign an entire team of players in the summer.  Now this is maybe what the team needs but as a club we just don't have the finances to be paying that kind of money out in one transfer window and  any manager in the world would struggle to get sufficient quality for so many signings.

I understand peoples apathy, and despair at me trying to take positives from a defeat to St Mirren.  This season however has been a disaster from day 1 and to judge the team and management properly we really need to wait until next season, but even then the damage McGhee has done may take a year or two to sort out.  At the moment we need to take the positives where we can.  We gave a few players a decent run out and genuinely looked good until McArdle went off on Wed.  Even the defence looked decent but it is a very fragile unit and the fell to bits and conceded two terrible goals.  I'm pretty sure Brown and Knox are well aware of where the problems lie (certainly their signings in Jan would suggest they at least have more awareness than McGhee, though that's not saying much)

We had alot of youngsters out there on Wed and for them as much as anything we should be showing some support and encouragement as they are our future. In Pawlett, Jack, Fyvie and Maguire we have some of the most promising players to come through in recent years which should prompt at least some optimism. 

After the season we've had and the dross we've had to watch I quite enjoyed the St Mirren game as a game of football and although the result is embarrassing at this stage of the season we have nothing to play for in the league.

Lets back the side through the next three games and see if we can achieve the unthinkable next Sat, after that look to the future, get a few more youngsters having 90mins and start preparing for next season.  As terrible as we have been we weren't a million miles from top 6 and if injuries had been kinder we might even have sneaked in.  I know it is against the Aberdonian grain but lets try and see some hope for the future

Not sure who you've marked down as a loser but who has actually been offered a new deal?

Do you not think there's a chance Brown could turn turn these players round?

No chance, Ferguson couldn't turn these players around.

Seems to come in more frequent waves these days though, which is quite worrying. The only way the club can do anything to reverse this, is to win something.....

If by some weird force of nature meant we actually won something I think it would reverse the feeling of 'not giving a fuck' for all of....... oh......... about 5 minutes, because I would know for a fact that it was a fluke and we'd be looking forward to another season of abject misery and depressing lows.

The board's only plan is to see AFC tread water and the only bouyancy aid I'll be giving them from now on is the purchase of a replica shirt each summer which I'll no doubt have to wear under something else at 5's on occasion, having suffered yet another bewildering defeat the Saturday before at the hands of yet another of Scotland's footballing minows.

Give me a poke in the ribs when Stewart Milne is crushed under a pile of his own fucking cash.

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

If by some weird force of nature meant we actually won something I think it would reverse the feeling of 'not giving a fuck' for all of....... oh......... about 5 minutes, because I would know for a fact that it was a fluke and we'd be looking forward to another season of abject misery and depressing lows.

The board's only plan is to see AFC tread water and the only bouyancy aid I'll be giving them from now on is the purchase of a replica shirt each summer which I'll no doubt have to wear under something else at 5's on occasion, having suffered yet another bewildering defeat the Saturday before at the hands of yet another of Scotland's footballing minows.

Give me a poke in the ribs when Stewart Milne is crushed under a pile of his own fucking cash.

Yeah winning a trophy would be terrible  ::)

Genuinely, I don't give a fuck what trophy it is, as long as its a National cup, I'll be chuffed to win it. It will give the kids, and I probably include myself in that, who have not witnessed success, something to be proud about.

If you win a cup it's not a fluke. You can't fluke your way through every one of 4/5/6 matches.

Do you only support Aberdeen to look "cool"? Because that's the way it's coming across.  I've taken pelters all my life for supporting the Dons, but I'd never, ever hide the fact I'm an Aberdeen fan no matter how shite they are.  Yes, I go through times I can't be arsed with them, I lose patience and get unbelieveably frustrated with them but I'm never embarrassed to say they're my team. 

Why do you give a fuck what anyone else says about it?

Well said bb, growing up an aberdeen fan has taught me many important things in life regardless of how much a thankless task it is.  Humility, Perserverance,    The ability not to take life to seriously, how to spot when things are actually going well and not take it for granted. I have no doubt i am a better person for being an aberdeen fan and no matter how pish the team is i will never stop caring.  Stand free

Well said bb, growing up an aberdeen fan has taught me many important things in life regardless of how much a thankless task it is.  Humility, Perseverance,    The ability not to take life to seriously, how to spot when things are actually going well and not take it for granted. I have no doubt i am a better person for being an aberdeen fan and no matter how pish the team is i will never stop caring.  Stand free

What yourself and BB have said pretty much sums it up for me. Wouldn't have been the bitter and twisted cunt i am today :D unfortunately we're not blessed with having a team that performs very well, but it doesn't and will not change the fact we are still reds!

If you win a cup it's not a fluke. You can't fluke your way through every one of 4/5/6 matches.

Do you only support Aberdeen to look "cool"? Because that's the way it's coming across.  I've taken pelters all my life for supporting the Dons, but I'd never, ever hide the fact I'm an Aberdeen fan no matter how shite they are.  Yes, I go through times I can't be arsed with them, I lose patience and get unbelieveably frustrated with them but I'm never embarrassed to say they're my team. 

I would say I understand where the other loon is coming from. There is nothing to be proud about supporting Aberdeen this year and arguably for about 13 of the last 15 years of total misery.

Its probably obvious but I am not in love with Aberdeen anymore.  When I was younger I was mad for this club, missed about 3 games in 8 years, went to youth games, the lot. I think you change when you get older but also for me I feel no hope because the misery is compounding year on year. I have lost count of how many semi finals/cup ties we've bottled and how many useless results we've already collated at New St Mirren Park or whatever its called

I remember growing up and standing on the terracing at Hearts and expecting us to win  :thumbsup: This year I saw us lose 5-0 at Hearts and it could have been more. We also suffered our record loss in the history of the club and yet still people want to show support for these players  :

When Langfield, as an example, makes an error I go back to that miserable semi final at Tynecastle where his arse collapsed in front of us and numerous other games. Its not just Langfield, there is so many games where i've watched this team disintergate in front of me, even the talented players, such as Aluko. As an aside, I read you and Glasgow Sheep (just two mainly positive posters but there are others) posts and I feel its illogical that you's can "support" players such as Langfield when in reality logic no longer has anything to do with it.

I think my attitude is represenative of a lot of Aberdeen fans, hence the crowds are so low.  I walked out at the end of Wednesday and had to wait whilst people applauded that shambles of a team off the park. I remember years ago being a happy clapper (at the want of a better phrase) and some older loon shouting at me (and others) in total disgust, after we'd lost somewhere. At the time I could not relate to his frustration as I felt we'd played well, perhaps like you and GS did on Weds, many have felt this way and simply given up on Aberdeen. I fully believe the loon won't be attending games now.

Being honest, I am on the brink of falling into an existance of avoiding Aberdeen. I don't go for the right reasons anymore, I go because its something I have always done but I am miserable supporting AFC - hard to tell eh?  :wave:

I would say I understand where the other loon is coming from. There is nothing to be proud about supporting Aberdeen this year and arguably for about 13 of the last 15 years of total misery.

Its probably obvious but I am not in love with Aberdeen anymore.  When I was younger I was mad for this club, missed about 3 games in 8 years, went to youth games, the lot. I think you change when you get older but also for me I feel no hope because the misery is compounding year on year. I have lost count of how many semi finals/cup ties we've bottled and how many useless results we've already collated at New St Mirren Park or whatever its called

I remember growing up and standing on the terracing at Hearts and expecting us to win  :thumbsup: This year I saw us lose 5-0 at Hearts and it could have been more. We also suffered our record loss in the history of the club and yet still people want to show support for these players  :

When Langfield, as an example, makes an error I go back to that miserable semi final at Tynecastle where his arse collapsed in front of us and numerous other games. Its not just Langfield, there is so many games where i've watched this team disintergate in front of me, even the talented players, such as Aluko. As an aside, I read you and Glasgow Sheep (just two mainly positive posters but there are others) posts and I feel its illogical that you's can "support" players such as Langfield when in reality logic no longer has anything to do with it.

I think my attitude is represenative of a lot of Aberdeen fans, hence the crowds are so low.  I walked out at the end of Wednesday and had to wait whilst people applauded that shambles of a team off the park. I remember years ago being a happy clapper (at the want of a better phrase) and some older loon shouting at me (and others) in total disgust, after we'd lost somewhere. At the time I could not relate to his frustration as I felt we'd played well, perhaps like you and GS did on Weds, many have felt this way and simply given up on Aberdeen. I fully believe the loon won't be attending games now.

Being honest, I am on the brink of falling into an existance of avoiding Aberdeen. I don't go for the right reasons anymore, I go because its something I have always done but I am miserable supporting AFC - hard to tell eh?  :wave:

Sorry tsr, I think you may have me mixed up with someone else. I wasn't at the game on Wed and the main reason being that I can't put myself through the shite anymore.  My point to ST was that no matter how shite they are I'm never embarrassed to say I'm a Dons fan, you are what you are, why pretend to be anything else? In case someone takes the piss?  That's my point, absolutely nothing to do with the stuff you're going on about and if you look in one of the other threads I'm backing you up about this stuff.

And as for the Langfield stuff, most on here will tell you i've wanted the cunt out since he signed near enough. I can't stand the guy. I want most of them out.

I'm pretty much like yourself, had a season ticket for years, travelling all over the country every Saturday for umpteen years to see them and gave it up a few years ago.

As for me being a happy clapper...jesus wept. One of the worst experiences of supporting the Dons for me was when there was a conga at Hampden at the 2000 Cup Final, so I think you're barking up the wrong tree with that one too.

I think you've picked me up totally wrong.  Or at least that's how it seems.

I can assure you when I'm gracing a 5's pitch in amongst an increasing plethora of cunts in alice bands, white boots and snoods, the last think I'm trying to do when sporting a Dons' top is 'trying to look cool'.

Over the past few years I've noticed that I've actually been hiding my shirt on the odd occasion or choosing not to wear it, not because I can't handle a bit of ribbing now and then.  As far as I'm concerned, I play football as much for fitness side of things as the social aspect.  In other words - banter.  It goes with the territory.

But to be honest I just can't be bothered explaining to someone who might not know that much about Aberdeen Football Club that we've succumb to our heaviest ever defeat, or we were nearing relegation before sacking a club legend or we were horsed by some other lower league no-marks........ again.

If SPL fans want to give me grief then so be it.  I'm more than used to it and they'll get as good as I get.  But the shirt wearing/not wearing is simply down the the fact that sometimes I just can't be arsed to talk about my football team because I'm sick to the back teeth of them.

I'm not embarrassed by them, I'm fucking used to that!  But these days I find not talking about them hurts a lot less than picking away at that particular scab.

Take the cup semi disgrace against the Tims for example.  I fucked off after 30 minutes and headed as far away from Hampden as possible.  The reason being that I knew if I'd had hit a boozer nearby I'd have had to listen to other Dons' fans bumping their gums about the club for the next few hours.  I couldn't have that as I've heard it all before.  I just couldn't stomach it.  A half hour later I was tucked up in a hotel bar, far from the game and elbow deep in a club sandwich like it had never even happened.

I was going to say "I'm not proud of that" but I've had a little think about it and I'm not that bothered by it either.  Maybe every man has his breaking point?  Maybe I'm just a bit older and don't stand for so much shite these days?  Or maybe I've seen it all before and ever decreasing circles of pish just don't float my boat?

Whatever it is, I find myself not caring any more and I really don't think I have anything to be embarrassed about because of that.

I've been there, bought the t-shirts, scarves, tickets, travel, season books, posters, bovrils, etc.  I'm a timeserved, paid up member of the Red Army.  I've cheered them on and booed them off.  I've kept my end of the deal but I'll be fucked if I can remember the last time I saw any football being played by Aberdeen 'Football' Club?

That said, I think I've got the away strip in my bag tonight, ready for a run about at 18.15

because......

well........

.....we only lost 1-0 at home to relegation battlers Hibs and that's not even something that would embarrass any Dons fan these days.  ;D

tell people as much as you want to tell them, no need to go into so much detail that it puts you on a downer.  Especially if you live somewhere that people won't know about AFC. And if it's 5's, is it not with the same folk, surely the novelty wears off/have better things to talk about? 

I've been there, bought the t-shirts, scarves, tickets, travel, season books, posters, bovrils, etc.  I'm a timeserved, paid up member of the Red Army.  I've cheered them on and booed them off.  I've kept my end of the deal but I'll be fucked if I can remember the last time I saw any football being played by Aberdeen 'Football' Club?

I wasn't doubting any of that for a second.

Just thinking about AFC puts me on a downer and that's before I get the wallet out to buy a ticket or tune into the wireless or internets to listen to a game.

Like the rest of the city I too have fallen out of love with the club, yet I'm fairly certain Craig Brown stated he was going to do something about that the moment he walked through the doors at Pittodrie.

No doubt another few hundred have voted with their feet in that time and nothing has changed.

Will it ever?

Will it ever?

I sure as fuck hope so!

Every single summer it's a 'big' summer, but I think this one could be the biggest 'big' summer, err....ever!

If CB doesn't take a massive knife and cut a fuck load of the utter shite out of our team and sign some players who might actually inspire some of us the club could be in for a hell of a shakey time.

Looking at this seasons fixture list, i've been to a rather impressive 9 games! I didn't even realise we were playing Rangers on Wednesday until I checked just then. Being perfectly honest, I haven't really missed not going every week, and the only game I can hand on heart say I really enjoyed was the St. Johnstone game at the start of the season.

Despessing as fuck thinking about this! Can't wait for Sunday, I still somehow think we'll win  8)

Have we? Don't recall the fans deserting the club like this before  :-\

Have to agree. I have been to 3 home games this season and 7 away. Cannot remember the last time I was at so few games and sad thing is I have not missed being at the games. I used to go to nearly all the games home and away but over the last 4 or 5 years have found myself enjoying the games less and less. Got to the stage where going to watch Aberdeen has become a chore.

I've felt this for 2 or 3 seasons now. It's a chore to watch the Dons. I always vow not to get a season ticket the following year but but always have. Maybe now that I have to pay full price I might actually not renew.

It sometimes feels like a bad marriage and I feel obligated to go and support the team. There's absolutely no doubt, however, that if there wasn't the social aspect involved of going to the game with mates that I would've stopped going by now.

I sure as fuck hope so!

Every single summer it's a 'big' summer, but I think this one could be the biggest 'big' summer, err....ever!

If CB doesn't take a massive knife and cut a fuck load of the utter shite out of our team and sign some players who might actually inspire some of us the club could be in for a hell of a shakey time.

I agree with you, but at the News of the World Score Roadshow the other month, CB did state that even come the end of this season and preparing for next, he still wouldn't have two pound coins to rub together so forgive me for wondering what the hell is going to happen next season.  I'll be as optomistic as the next member of the red army but not counting my chickens.

I wasn't enthusiastic about going to the game on Saturday and by the time the final whistle went, I wished I hadn't bothered.  I will support my team to the death, and NEVER deny I'm a dons fan but I want to watch football on a Saturday afternoon and not a bunch of guys who can't defend or pass the ball to save themselves.

:AFC2:

I agree with you, but at the News of the World Score Roadshow the other month, CB did state that even come the end of this season and preparing for next, he still wouldn't have two pound coins to rub together so forgive me for wondering what the hell is going to happen next season.  I'll be as optomistic as the next member of the red army but not counting my chickens.

I wasn't enthusiastic about going to the game on Saturday and by the time the final whistle went, I wished I hadn't bothered.  I will support my team to the death, and NEVER deny I'm a dons fan but I want to watch football on a Saturday afternoon and not a bunch of guys who can't defend or pass the ball to save themselves.

:AFC2:

I think - perhaps rather naively - that Brown isn't being entirely truthful in that. He said when he arrived that assurances had been made about budgets for the playing staff... if he was unable to spend money, whether that's in wages or fees, I honestly think he wouldn't have taken the job.  Obviously there won't be the type of investment we'd all like to see, but I think there will be something and he's trying to not show his hand to other clubs at present.

On your second point, I think we have the most technically deficient set of players in the league.