Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Aluko leaving

Dons manager resigned to departure of talisman Aluko

aberdeen in line for cash windfall if nigerian and maguire leave pittodrie

By Paul Third

Published:04/05/2011

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown is resigned to losing attacker Sone Aluko after the Nigeria international told him he wants to return to England.

The 22-year-old has been offered a new contract by the Dons, but wants a move away from Pittodrie.

The offer remains on the table, but Brown fears he will lose the services of one of his key players this summer.

For the full story, pick up a copy of today’s Press and Journal or read our digital edition now.

Not good news

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fucking cunt. He told me on Sunday that he wanted to stay.

Talking to you probably made up his mind that he wanted to leave.  ;D

Aluko is a strange one. If it's the Aluko we have seen since Christmas or since JC was in charge then we are losing a big asset to our team. If it's the Aluko we have seen (or not seen) during McGhee's tenure, then we are losing a player who has all the ability but injury prone and doesn't seem to be that bothered.

Talking to you probably made up his mind that he wanted to leave.  ;D

Aluko is a strange one. If it's the Aluko we have seen since Christmas or since JC was in charge then we are losing a big asset to our team. If it's the Aluko we have seen (or not seen) during McGhee's tenure, then we are losing a player who has all the ability but injury prone and doesn't seem to be that bothered.

Was surprised to read this this morning. I thought he'd been playing much better since CB had come in and actually seemed to be enjoying himself again. Guess that shows what I know though! I know from reading the other boards that there seems to be a general feeling that we won't miss him. But I think they are completely deluded if they think we're going to get anyone as remotely entertaining. I know we'd all like to see players who will graft and graft, but invariably they are not going to be flair players.

Was surprised to read this this morning. I thought he'd been playing much better since CB had come in and actually seemed to be enjoying himself again. Guess that shows what I know though! I know from reading the other boards that there seems to be a general feeling that we won't miss him. But I think they are completely deluded if they think we're going to get anyone as remotely entertaining. I know we'd all like to see players who will graft and graft, but invariably they are not going to be flair players.

Yeah has looked a different player since CB came in. Seemed to be enjoying his football again and looked to be utilising his ability once again with blistering pace and the trickery. On his day, I think he would give any defender a torrid time but for the past two seasons, his day's has been few and far between. I get the impression that he enjoyed up here first time around, signed a permanent deal and to use AFC as a stepping stone. This has never materialised for one reason or another.

Good luck Sone. I hold no hard feelings.

Nah - it was Bisconti I spoke to then left about 10 minutes later. I should maybe go have a chat with Darren Mackie.

You'll hurt kows feelings with that!

Yeah has looked a different player since CB came in. Seemed to be enjoying his football again and looked to be utilising his ability once again with blistering pace and the trickery. On his day, I think he would give any defender a torrid time but for the past two seasons, his day's has been few and far between. I get the impression that he enjoyed up here first time around, signed a permanent deal and to use AFC as a stepping stone. This has never materialised for one reason or another.

Good luck Sone. I hold no hard feelings.

I meant to add that, good luck sone, I've enjoyed the past 4 years, its a shame for one reason or another he wasn't able to perform his best most weeks, but the occassions I've seen him since CB took over, he's been the most impressive player on the park. Thank you sone.

From BBC Gossip column...

Soon-to-be-out-of-contract Aberdeen winger Sone Aluko is homesick and wants a return to English football. (Scotsman)

And the Dons hope to cash in on a £200,000 compesation fee if Aluko does move back south. (Sun)

200k compensation? Seems a lot. I'd be happy enough with that.

If it really is homesickness which is making him want to leave then it seems unlikely he'd move to another Scottish team. I think if he stays in Scotland it would likely be with Aberdeen.

In saying that someone told me his girlfriend lives in Edinburgh so perhaps he is eyeing up one of the Edinburgh/central belt clubs.

Has there been any quotes stating this yet? I hope he still stays.

There were quotes in the P&J.  Brown said they'd offered Aluko a good deal but it wasn't about money, and he wanted to return to England as he was homesick.

There were quotes in the P&J.  Brown said they'd offered Aluko a good deal but it wasn't about money, and he wanted to return to England as he was homesick.

Providing he does move to England then fair enough. Though its hardly countries away!