Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Aluko leaving

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do wonder about professional footballers

I know they arent known for intelligence but after all the supposed crap about im wanting a move closer to the family, 2months after his contract expires he decides to go on trial at a club which is apparently on the edge of financial ruin.

Reminds me of all those players who turned down clubs like us, the arabs, hibs etc to go to Hearts and are now wondering if their pay packets are going to turn up and supposedly being told to find somewhere else to play.

Perhaps im being unfair but i reckon he thought there would be a queue of championship or perhaps even a couple of premierships teams waiting for him and now hes finding out what the real world is like

Genuinely i wouldn't boo him, not like he was looking for the move there.  Guys been out of work for 6 months, by now he likely needs the money as much as he needs to restart his career.

Being that we'd have to be in a position to offer him a contract to be entitled to the compo I'd guess he'd be welcomed taken back here (the club that started his career) if it really was about re-starting his career. Then again, to do that he'd have to admit to himself that he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Best for all concerned that he fucks off to the huns, we get the compo, huns go into administration, Aluko gets a small percentage of what he thinks he's getting when he signs, Aluko performs as we know he does (1 game in 10), he then dots about L2 & the conference for the rest of his career while we start to finish regularly above the huns as financial reality hits home in Glasgow.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/second-chance-1.1134845?

Second chance

graeme macpherson graeme.macpherson@heraldandtimes.co.uk

15 Nov 2011

WHEN Sone Aluko and Josh Walker both scored in Aberdeen’s thrilling 2-2 draw at home to Bayern Munich a few years back, it seemed the pair were set for great things.

Both were on loan at the time – Aluko from Birmingham City, Walker from Middlesbrough – and their stellar performances that night against a side containing the likes of Bastian Schweinsteiger, Luca Toni, and Miroslav Klose further enhanced their burgeoning reputations. Of course, not every young player’s potential is eventually realised.

That UEFA Cup tie against Bayern was four seasons ago and the subsequent years have failed to deliver the meteoric rise that many had expected of them. Walker left Aberdeen that summer and has since been sent on loan a further five times. He is currently back at Stevenage in League One for a second temporary spell having finally left Middlesbrough for Watford last year.

Aluko, of course, elected to hang around in Scotland, making a permanent move to Aberdeen in the summer of 2008, following one game for Blackpool on an emergency loan. The subsequent three years brought fleeting glimpses of promise, games in which the winger looked like the player who had impressed in that initial loan spell.

Too often, however, the story was of a player hampered by niggling injuries or indifferent form, the lingering feeling one of frustration at what might have been had Aluko shown greater consistency in his play.

He elected to leave Pittodrie in the summer with a view to furthering his career closer to his Midlands home, but if he had expected to walk into a club and reignite his career he has thus far been left disappointed. Sheffield United took a look but passed, as did Juventus, who were also curiously credited with an interest. Four months into the season, he is still unemployed.

Those set of circumstances have led him back to Scotland and to Rangers with whom he began a week-long trial yesterday with a view to signing a permanent deal.

The Ibrox club have little to lose from the arrangement: should Aluko show that he has what it takes to still perform at the levels expected, then there would be little risk in offering the 22-year-old a short-term contract, although the thorny issue of whether Aberdeen would then be due compensation, and how much, would need to be addressed.

For the player, this represents something of an unexpected second chance to get back into the game at a relatively high level and one he will surely therefore want to make the most of. Scott Leitch, his former coach at Aberdeen, believes Aluko merits that opportunity.

“Injuries and different things have gone against Sone in recent times and because of the financial situation at most clubs it has proved difficult for him to get back into football,” he told Herald Sport. “But I think he’s a very talented player as he showed over a number of years with Aberdeen. We were very unlucky that Sone was injured for a long period when we were at Pittodrie as we would have liked to have called upon his services more often. But sometimes that can happen with a player. Sone is technically gifted, very quick and is also a good finisher. If he can stay away from the injuries which have blighted his career then I think he would be a good addition to Ally McCoist’s squad.”

Rangers are keen to augment their forward options with Steven Naismith sidelined until the end of the season with cruciate ligament damage but Leitch warned against anyone expecting a like-for-like replacement. “He’s not the same type of player as Naismith,” said the former Aberdeen assistant manager. “He won’t score as many goals and he’s not as aggressive. But he’s very talented and I’m sure he would respond to joining a club of the stature of Rangers.

“He hasn’t been playing club football since leaving Aberdeen in the summer so he would need time to get his fitness levels up. But when he’s done that and gets a little bit of confidence back, I think he could make a real impact.”

Aluko is not expected to be included when Austin Eguavoen, coach of the Nigerian under-23 side, names his squad tomorrow for the African Olympic qualifying tournament that takes place in Morocco from November 26 to December 10. He remains, however, a player well thought of in his adopted homeland.

“Sone’s highly rated here,” said Oluwashina Okeleji, the BBC’s sports reporter in Nigeria. “Since the exit of former African footballer of the year Emmanuel Amuneke, Nigeria hasn’t produced another left winger and Sone is seen as one for the future.”

I forgot Govan was near Birmingham right enough. Absolute piece of nonsense. I'll certainly be booing him if he signs for them, after all this shit about being closer to his family and having already made commitments bollocks. Just confirms what I already thought in that Aluko thought that he would have been away from Aberdeen long before he actually left and he has realised that the grass isn't always greener and no cunt was interested in a inconsistent, injury prone winger who only occasionally showed glimpses of his true ability.

Aluko on twitter (not been on in ages):

I'm a footballer not a politician.my success isn't based on popularity.I don't play to please every1 but to maximise this gift God gave me!

My last interview was in April.Since then all you've heard bout where I am,what I 'said'-has come from another source!dont take it as gospel

In quietness and confidence is my strength. Often loudest in arguments are the weakest. You can judge me when u here ME eventually!

But 4 the record-no member of my family live in Birmingham!Big sis is in London,rest live/school in Nigeria!#fact so lets keep it football!

Thank u for all support/views/criticism/advice/threat whatever!Take it all on board.At 22 I know consequence of every potential decision.

over the piece he was a great player for us who could've gone on to be great and I'll be gutted if he signs for the hun.

When the board decided to instantly destroy anything the team had going for it he lost interest, but if thousands of people who call themselves fans can't see the point in being there on match days then I can't say I blame him.

The biggest issue though is compo.

Are we or are we not entitled to 200k if he signs ANYWHERE, or are Scottish sides exempt? If the board bent over for even a penny on this then I genuinely think it would top every single slap in the face/shit decision/disgrace the board have ever been guilty of.

over the piece he was a great player for us who could've gone on to be great and I'll be gutted if he signs for the hun.

When the board decided to instantly destroy anything the team had going for it he lost interest, but if thousands of people who call themselves fans can't see the point in being there on match days then I can't say I blame him.

The biggest issue though is compo.

Are we or are we not entitled to 200k if he signs ANYWHERE, or are Scottish sides exempt? If the board bent over for even a penny on this then I genuinely think it would top every single slap in the face/shit decision/disgrace the board have ever been guilty of.

It's a UEFA (or FIFA?) rule. We would be entitled to the compensation if he goes anywhere. He fucked us over by not giving a shit in his last months season and we offered him a better deal so I dont see why anyone at AFC should even be thinking of negotiating on the compo, expecially as it's another SPL club he is going to.

is this not in danger of a bosman case?

Player out of contract but seemingly unable to sign for a new team because his old team are entitled to compensation and no one will pay it. Hate to say it but I reckon this compensation rule will be the next thing to be kicked into touch by the european courts

is this not in danger of a bosman case?

Player out of contract but seemingly unable to sign for a new team because his old team are entitled to compensation and no one will pay it. Hate to say it but I reckon this compensation rule will be the next thing to be kicked into touch by the european courts

But in the meantime, if they want him, they pay, no?