Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Hartley retires

Tyrant

According to Northsound Radio.

Not a surprise really. Agreement to terminate contract was made last night.

Correct decision, Paul. But thanks for your efforts.  :thumbsup:

A true professional to the core. I was glad we had you for a year Hartley, hopefully some of your good work ethic has rubbed off onto the youngsters. But as others have said, the right time and it takes a man to admit it.

:thumbsup:

Obvious for a while that his legs were gone so probably best decision for both sides. Allows Hartley to go with reputation intact and frees up a sizable wage for the manager to use to bring in new faces.

Just a pity we had not got him a couple of season ago.

Article in the Daily Retard suggest not.

Strange because the mannie on the radio said something opposing that I think. I think it was maybe just that CB hopes to retain Hartley in a coaching role. Would he remain on the same wage for that? Shirley not?

EDIT: "It's expected that Hartley will take up a coaching role" but it didn't specify where.

Would like to see him kept in a coaching role at the club. He's still got the ability but just his body has let him down unfortunately. It was great to have Hartely at the club but just wish we could have had him a few seasons ago. A true professional and his retirement reiterates this. A great club captain and one that got the fans right behind their captain. Also kind of hoped that he could have played in a better AFC team.

Cheers Paul!

I'm not sure keeping him on is necessarily going to make much of a difference.  He was there this season and we still have one of our younger players telling the Soother to spin on it.

Also, there are guys around Pittodrie like Willie Miller, Jim Leighton and Neil Simpson, if they're not inspired by them and their achievements in the game then they won't be by Hartley even though he may be more relevant to them considering different eras.

I like Hartley and very much appreciate his efforts for us, his reaction to Rory McArdle's equaliser at Paisley was one of a few highlights this season, he was delighted and showed he really did care which is more than can be said for a lot of guys through our doors in recent years. Best of luck in what you do next Paul.

I'm not sure keeping him on is necessarily going to make much of a difference.  He was there this season and we still have one of our younger players telling the Soother to spin on it.

Also, there are guys around Pittodrie like Willie Miller, Jim Leighton and Neil Simpson, if they're not inspired by them and their achievements in the game then they won't be by Hartley even though he may be more relevant to them considering different eras.

I like Hartley and very much appreciate his efforts for us, his reaction to Rory McArdle's equaliser at Paisley was one of a few highlights this season, he was delighted and showed he really did care which is more than can be said for a lot of guys through our doors in recent years. Best of luck in what you do next Paul.

This.  :thumbsup:

Paul Hartley, who announced his retirement yesterday, has warned Aberdeen they will be wasting their money building a new stadium unless they invest in a new team first. (Various)

This man speaks sense. Someone (Mr Milne, preferrably) please listen to him and act accordingly...

PAUL HARTLEY has warned Aberdeen they will be wasting their money building a new stadium unless they invest in a new team.

The Dons skipper is gutted that he is leaving the club at a seven-year low after retiring with immediate effect.

With vice-captain Zander Diamond also leaving, boss Craig Brown will have to scour the bargain basement for new players in the summer as Dons are heavily in debt.

Average attendances have slumped to just over 9,000 - 1300 down on even last season's dismal campaign - but Dons are committed to building a £30million 21,000-seat stadium at Loirston Loch.

Hartley, 34, made it clear to the Pittodrie money men the only way to make it pay is by putting cash into a team which will notch the fewest points since Steve Paterson was boss.

He said: "There will be a new stadium and training ground in a couple of years but the priority is a good team on the park.

"You need to have that in place to persuade supporters to come back and fill that new ground.

"The club have to be better next season. There's no point going to a new stadium with a poor team, but Craig and Archie Knox have the right contacts to make sure it doesn't happen.

"The big disappointment is where I am leaving Aberdeen as there were high expectations on myself and the club when I came here.

"This season has been a struggle for me and everyone here in general and I wish I was going with them in a better place.

"I thought I could make the team better and I think there were positives when I was in the team.

"I think next season will be much brighter as they have the right men in charge with Craig and Archie.

"They need to get better players in and given time the club will have a better future.

"With the financial climate it won't be easy to get better players in, but Craig will work hard to do that."

Injury and fatigue have taken their toll on Hartley and he decided to call it a day before his standards drop.

He won every domestic honour in the Scottish game with Celtic and Hearts as well as being capped 25 times for his country.

Hartley will now take his coaching badges.

Brown admits replacing Hartley will be the toughest task of what will be a difficult summer.

He said: "When it comes to replacing him you have to be thinking about making a stellar signing.

"In years gone by you are looking at Tommy Burns going to Kilmarnock, Davie Cooper to Motherwell and Charlie Nicholas coming to Aberdeen - that is the level of signing we're looking to make.

"It won't be easy, as there are not many of these players going about in Scotland, but we will be bringing in someone on a comparable deal to Hartley was on.We are also looking to replace others we are losing." Injuries mean Brown has named 13 youngsters in the squad to face Hibs at Easter Road today.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3579843/Build-team-or-grounds-waste.html#ixzz1MMGTKKYJ

I wonder if as he leaves he will shake his head and mutter under his breath "thank fuck I'm away from that lot."

There was an English footballer called leonard Shackleton and in his autobiography "the Clown Prince of football" he had a chapter called The Average Director's Knowledge of Football. It consisted of a single blank page.

Judging on the past fucking terrible 16 years, this does indeed appears to be the case.