Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

The SPL in "joke league" shock

Ok hardly news but a wee reminder before the welcome summer break.  After the farce of allowing Celtic to play in some money spinning tournament the 2nd week of the season by bizarrely announcing every club could opt out of one game at the start of the season the Huns have unsurprisingly taken advantage of this utter bullshit and arranged a home friendly with their London cousins.

Not for the first week of the season, not for the second week but for 3rd weekend of the season.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/251665-torres-and-terry-heading-to-ibrox/

We better not have either of these two when they fucking about getting vast wads of cash.

The SPL really is a fucking embarrassment.

Why don't all the other clubs form a pact whereby they all arrange a "friendly" for the weekend they have a game against the OF. If they work it right they could in effect leave the OF needing to play 12 games extra games between them  by the time the first round of fixtures are past.

It might show our league up as a farce but at least it will show it up to the rest of the world to be the OF pandering farce that it is, with the added bonus of leaving the bigots in a fuck of a mess with fixtures.

I had forgotten all about this little gem of an idea amongst all the other embarrassing stuff that was going on during the season.

If ever proof was needed that the SPL is a total shambles this is it. I really, really, really wish the other clubs would have the balls to do something like baggy suggests above but sadly we all know they'll allow the bigot bros to carry on regardless.

The sooner Scottish football goes bust and we have to start again the better it'll be.

Why don't all the other clubs form a pact whereby they all arrange a "friendly" for the weekend they have a game against the OF. If they work it right they could in effect leave the OF needing to play 12 games extra games between them  by the time the first round of fixtures are past.

It might show our league up as a farce but at least it will show it up to the rest of the world to be the OF pandering farce that it is, with the added bonus of leaving the bigots in a fuck of a mess with fixtures.

Brilliant idea.  ;D

The other 10 clubs could be really awkward about this. I'm desperate to see Aberdeen play a glamour friendly against Banchory St Ternan Juniors.

• 1 month later...

Irish take on the "Super Cup" fiasco, at least we're not yet at the same level as the LoI when it comes to joke leagues. ::)

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/7377/38/

Dublin's Super Cup hopes for domestic appeal

7 July ~ At the end of this month up to 51,000 spectators will walk through the doors of a state of the art arena to see the home side take on the best that their neighbours have to offer. And that home side will be lucky if a hundred of those people actually came to support them. On the last weekend in July barstools across Dublin will breathe a great sigh of relief, as curious football supporters rise up and make their way to Lansdowne Road for the grand debut of a tournament that has attracted Inter, Manchester City and Celtic.

Taking place over one weekend, the Dublin Super Cup takes a similar format to London's Emirates Cup, with two games played on each day. Completing the line-up, alongside the Italian, English and Scottish giants, are the hometown heroes and domestic game's representatives – the Airtricity League XI. A selection of the best players from the League of Ireland, their last outing came at the opening of the Aviva Stadium a year ago, when they lost 7-1 to Manchester United.

For many potential supporters, burned by the shambolic performance of the under-prepared representative side last year, the prospect of paying up to €90 (£80) to sit among fellow Irishmen cheering for foreign sides is too much to even consider. A large swathe of fans are also unhappy that the event was scheduled during the busiest time of year for top Irish sides. Bohemians, St Patrick's Athletic and Shamrock Rovers could all be occupied by European competition, while Sligo Rovers will certainly be in action either side of the tournament. Despite these possible clashes, manager Damien Richardson opted to select players from all of these sides (with the exception of Sligo) – something that can easily be viewed as a lack of faith in the ability of these clubs to progress through the rounds.

Promotion for the event is in full swing – not that the League of Ireland representative side are afforded much respect there either. Amazingly, the initial run of adverts referred to the teams as an "Irish League XI", despite the Irish League being the primary domestic competition of the IFA, just over the border in Northern Ireland.

However, despite initial appearances, the Dublin Super Cup does hold some potential for the Republic of Ireland's domestic game. Irish clubs have long battled for support from a populace accustomed to looking across the water for their football fix and it would be a shame if the FAI wasted a great opportunity to market the League of Ireland to a captive audience. Ticket promotions, such as linking the Super Cup tickets to free or discounted entry to a league game, for example, could help bring some much-appreciated new faces through the doors. To date, though, we're still waiting to hear what, if anything, the association's marketing department have up their sleeves.

For the players themselves there is the chance to test themselves against top opposition. Last year's squad was dogged by insurance issues and a lack of familiarity but, with a week to prepare, hopes are at least a bit higher that they might do themselves justice this time around. And for the supporters? Well, it's a nice mid-season break and a chance to get some of the shopping done and go for a walk. Or, for the hopelessly addicted among us, it's a few hours spent on home soil, but behind enemy lines, hoping against hope for respectability. Aidan Bonner

Brilliant idea.  ;D

The other 10 clubs could be really awkward about this. I'm desperate to see Aberdeen play a glamour friendly against Banchory St Ternan Juniors.

Except of course for the lost revenue to every club in pushing a game against the OF into midweek.

The real joke in the SPL is the 11-1 rule. Nothing else is a surprise with this as the backdrop. Every team and every member of the administration is hanging by the bollocks at the command of two clubs. Just a shame we can't provide a competitive league for them to flourish in as we hang, suspended by torn scrotums.

The SPL is like some sort of colonial disaster zone.

SPL TV again... give me strength.

Fuck sake.

Are the people at the top really that fucking stupid?

There's 11 SPL teams I couldn't give a fuck about and I have zero interest in watching any TV about any of them.

I can't be the only person who only wants to see their own team.

And there's already a channel where I can do that.

Fuck sake.

Are the people at the top really that fucking stupid?

There's 11 SPL teams I couldn't give a fuck about and I have zero interest in watching any TV about any of them.

I can't be the only person who only wants to see their own team.

And there's already a channel where I can do that.

Precisely. What are they thinking here?  Let's take an already small audience and make it even smaller? Great, that'll generate revenue and external interest in Scottish Football, won't it?

Fucking imbeciles.