Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Langfield set for operation this week

mizer

ABERDEEN keeper Jamie Langfield will go under the knife this week for an operation that should finally put an end to his on-going health problems.

The Dons keeper has been diagnosed with AVM  (arteriovenous malformation), which is basically an abnormal connection between the veins and arteries on the left side of the brain.

Langfield was sidelined for months after he took a mystery seizure back in May but now doctors have got to the bottom of his problems and believe he could be ready to return to first-team action over the next month.

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown said: “Jamie will undergo the procedure this week but there is no chance of him facing Dundee United. We will need to arrange bounce games with local teams so  he can get some action.”

• 2 weeks later...
ABERDEEN FC keeper Jamie Langfield has returned to first-team training following brain surgery. The 31-year-old has been sidelined since May having suffered a brain haemorrhage.

Manchester City keeper David Gonzalez’s loan spell expires at the end of the year and his short-term deal will not be extended.

Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown today confirmed he has organised closed-door friendlies to help get Langfield match fit and back in contention.

• 2 weeks later...

A game vs United?!

Just what he needs for a confidence booster given everytime he plays against them he ends up throwing the ball in the net.

It'll be behind closed doors though... meaning there won't be anyone chucking a half eaten hot dog at him and there'll be no United fans there to shout bad things at him.  So his bottle should hold out this time...

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20111031/jamie-langfield-makes-his-comeback_2212158_2500771

Dons keeper Jamie Langfield this morning made his return to action just five months after suffering a horrific brain seizure.

Jamie skippered a young Aberdeen side in a closed doors friendly against Dundee United at St Andrews.

*Edit

Grimmer: 1-5. Chalali got a hatrick and Magennis scored 2. Good return for JL!  :thumbsup:

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20111031/jamie-langfield-makes-his-comeback_2212158_2500771

*Edit

Grimmer: 1-5. Chalali got a hatrick and Magennis scored 2. Good return for JL!  :thumbsup:

A strike partnership netting five goals....fucking hell

If Vernon isn't fit by next Monday night, I'd go with this pairing up front to start the game, and keep the Dazzler the fuck away from the starting line up

Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield has expressed relief at returning to action only five months after suffering a brain seizure.

The 31-year-old captained a young Aberdeen side during a closed-doors friendly against Dundee United.

"It is a shame when you see guys who do their cruciate and they are out for a year," Langfield told Dons' website.

"So, for me to be back after about five months after a brain haemorrhage and seizures, it is quite remarkable."

Langfield had suffered the problem at home in May after the end of last season and was treated at Glasgow's Southern General Hospital.

Aberdeen have since signed Colombian goalkeeper David Gonzalez on loan from Manchester City until January.

"I don't how many more games I need," Langfield said of the prospects of winning his place back under Craig Brown, assistant manager Archie Knox and goalkeeping coach Jim Leighton.

"That is the Gaffer and Archie's decision and obviously Jim, but if you ask me personally, I feel fit and ready to go back into the first team.

"I feel I could go and do a job and it's up to me now to put the pressure on David Gonzalez.

"I know the manager has said that David is the number one until he goes back, but I am going to make it as difficult as possible for him.

"I know I am capable of getting back to what I was doing last season."

Langfield, who has been a member of the Scotland squad without so far winning a cap, admitted to some apprehension on his return to match action.

"I was feeling a little bit nervous before the game, not really sure why," he said while expressing pleasure at his own performance.

"I am always like that before games anyway and it's good to feel the nerves again.

"Obviously it is only a closed-doors game against Dundee United at St Andrews, but it was a massive step for myself.

"Just to get a strip on and get back on a pitch was brilliant.

"When you put into context what happened to me during the summer, it is a serious thing.

"I'm really happy that I've had the chance to come back."

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20111101/jamie-langfield-makes-his-comeback_2212158_2500771

"Overall though I was happy with my performance. I made a couple of good saves and my kicking which I normally get a bit of flack for was good, I think you get more relaxed the older you get and that helps your distribution and kicking. Other than the one little blip I feel happy with the performance and psychologically I feel great as well which is a massive thing as well."

Even in a closed doors game against United he makes a blip - poor Clangers!! He will make up for it with a shut-out in the New Year derby up there!

Glad he is on the mend again though  ;D Means we will still have 2 decent keepers when Gonzalez goes back to City

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20111101/jamie-langfield-makes-his-comeback_2212158_2500771

Even in a closed doors game against United he makes a blip - poor Clangers!! He will make up for it with a shut-out in the New Year derby up there!

Glad he is on the mend again though  ;D Means we will still have 2 decent keepers when Gonzalez goes back to City

At the moment we have no decent keepers so 2 would be good.

• 1 month later...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2011/12/05/aberdeen-keeper-jamie-langfield-delighted-to-make-competitive-return-with-forfar-86908-23611535/

JAMIE LANGFIELD admits he's delighted to return to competitive action and now hopes people will start talking about his ability again rather than the brain haemorrhage he suffered.

Langfield played for the first time in nearly seven months on Saturday when he starred for Forfar in a 1-1 draw at Dumbarton.

It was the maiden outing of his short-term loan spell at the Second Division club and Langfield is keen to focus on football again.

The 31-year-old said: "To be honest I have grown a bit fed up of people talking about my illness and I now hope they will talk about Langfield the goalkeeper and not Langfield the goalkeeper who had a brain illness.

"I have been given the all clear and just want to get on with playing football now.

"I am delighted Forfar have given me the chance to get back playing and it was great to be in a game that had an edge to it, as opposed to a bounce game."

Langfield was helpless when Pat Walker put the Sons ahead in 16 minutes but he showed his class soon after when he finger-tipped over a fierce Scott Agnew effort.

The Dons ace looked the happiest player on the pitch as the howling wind and rain battered the teams.

He said: "I thoroughly enjoyed the game and what a difference when you play in a competitive game with points at stake.

"The conditions in the first half were not ideal and at times I was kicking the ball out and it was going nowhere but I really enjoyed it."

Kevin Motion, who rescued a point for Forfar with a last-minute header, said: "It is great to have an SPL keeper in our side. He showed his experience and talked our players through the game.

"He will play some games for us and get himself fit for his return to Aberdeen and it is brilliant for our confidence to have him about the place."

• 2 months later...
CRAIG Brown today revealed Jamie Langfield can still earn a new contract with Aberdeen FC – even if he does not play this season.

Keeper Langfield has yet to feature for the Aberdeen FC first team this term having been hospitalised in June following a brain haemorrhage.

But manager Brown confirmed Langfield, who is out of contract in the summer, is still in line to win a deal.