Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Sunday Herald: Mark McGhee on his Aberdeen experience

Kowalski

Whoa people. McGhee made himself look like a twat in the interview but he is being misquoted by the stirring wos media and a thick inept ex-manager is fuelling this non-story grow legs by responding to it and thick readers are in danger of getting it all out of kilter, including believing the unbelievable.

If you don't know why he was sacked, then you're not AFC but don't for fucks sake come out with the just tell him shite. Just because the fat cunt wanted to take wages at our expense for as long as he could when it's clear nae other cunt wants him and never did, don't start believing the shite he speaks. He got sacked, He got telt why at the time. He didn't agree with it. Maybe he didn't see it coming because of his delusions of self but I aint having this.

Isn't Bryan Cooney a Dons fan?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Bryan Cooney a Dons fan?

Not relevant whether he is or isn't. Ian Orr is clearly not.

EDIT: Ok I see. I meant he is being misquoted by Orr, clearly, and Calderwood is so thick not to see what is happening here.

Orr is taking Cooney's interview and using it to stir shit. McGhee would have been quoted fine by Cooney but I didn't see McGhee say "AFC is rotten to the core" as Orr imputed to him.

Whoa people. McGhee made himself look like a twat in the interview but he is being misquoted by the stirring wos media and a thick inept ex-manager is fuelling this non-story grow legs by responding to it and thick readers are in danger of getting it all out of kilter, including believing the unbelievable.

Are you suggesting that the Herald have deliberately put words in between the inverted commas that McGhee did not say?

McGhee effectively said the club was rotten to the core. Just in many, many more words.

Is the right answer.

If you don't know why he was sacked "you're not AFC"? Eh?

I don't. Not really. And I don't know why anyone thought that this lingering fart that is McGhee would do any better.

McGhee misquoted? No he hasn't been. 

Yes, I would probably say that he is moreso oblivious to it rather than actively promotes or condones it.  He is a man who believes in hard work and profit and less so the means of how to engender internal working relationships.

Aberdeen FC has to represent the north east of Scotland.  The north east has plenty of things to shout about, but it has never been good at shouting about it.  Acceptance and self-consciousness are two extremely common and prevalent north-eastern character traits.  I think it comes about from being geographically remote and yet increasingly self-sufficient given the economic strength of the area.  But with that comes suspicion of different methods from other areas.

To give just one very basic and non-footballing example the level of casual (and I suppose overt) racism I have come across since returning to the north-east last year is really quite despairing in a city where you would think that oil money would attract intelligent minds.  And therein lies the problem.  The oil money has not bought intelligence.  It has bought Range Rovers, labradoodles, overpriced 3 bedroom semis in Elrick for £300k and season tickets for Pittodrie.  Aberdeen has become that most American of cities - insular, self-serving, quietly arrogant and vocally suspicious of outsiders.  If anyone doesn't like that description then it's maybe because they are one of them.  The man who typifies these traits is the chairman of our beloved football club.  He is a clever man and a wealthy man but he is not an intelligent one.

Very rarely has a truer word been said on this board.

Remember reading from Swindon fans when he signed for us, that Ifil was a confidence player. When high on it was a fairly competent enough no nonsense defender, but when low on it, became an absolute bombscare.

In reality that was pretty much how it panned out for him with us under McGhee. If the fans knew it, surely the management team should have known it and constantly worked on building up his confidence rather than destroying it

Totally agree. I think Ifil (despite his feet seeming to be shaped like 50p coins) would have been a good player for us if he hadn't been so exposed. Look at Osbourne and Arnasson for example. Ifil never had players around him like those who came looking for the ball, so instead he had to try long balls. He simply wasn't capable of that, but tackling and bullying forwards, yes. Once his confidence went though he became a bombscare and as he says himself, had to move on.

Mcghee used fans' criticism of Ifil to try and make it seem he was on our side, getting things right, and it was all Ifil's fault.

I just hope all this hasn't harmed Mcghee's chances of landing the St Johnstone job. Nothing I'd like to see more than that cunt in charge of a different SPL team. If ONLY he'd got the celtic job he wanted so much!

Totally agree. I think Ifil (despite his feet seeming to be shaped like 50p coins) would have been a good player for us if he hadn't been so exposed. Look at Osbourne and Arnasson for example. Ifil never had players around him like those who came looking for the ball, so instead he had to try long balls. He simply wasn't capable of that, but tackling and bullying forwards, yes. Once his confidence went though he became a bombscare and as he says himself, had to move on.

Mcghee used fans' criticism of Ifil to try and make it seem he was on our side, getting things right, and it was all Ifil's fault.

I just hope all this hasn't harmed Mcghee's chances of landing the St Johnstone job. Nothing I'd like to see more than that cunt in charge of a different SPL team. If ONLY he'd got the celtic job he wanted so much!

Yeah but imagine how shit it would be if he did what he did with motherwell.  Mcinnes has left a decent setup at st j

Dingus back tracking on alleged comments:

ABERDEEN chief Stewart Milne could SUE flop boss Mark McGhee after he broke the terms of a pay-off.

SunSport understands part of McGhee's severance package when he was axed last December included a gagging clause explicitly preventing him from discussing his depressing 18- month reign in critical terms.

Yet, in a weekend interview McGhee, whose stint included a record 9-0 defeat by Celtic, SLAUGHTERED Milne and just about everyone else at Pittodrie — even the receptionist.

That left Dons supremo Milne, who has so far refused to respond to McGhee's attack, seething and considering calling in his lawyers.

But an embarrassed McGhee yesterday tried to backtrack over the article, claiming his words were misinterpreted. He said: "There is no bad blood between me and the club.

"A lot of people think Stuart doesn't care but he cares passionately. That's what I was trying to say.

"I had no problems when I was at Aberdeen and I haven't spoken to anyone there as I feel quite embarrassed. That's why I want to set the record straight."

McGhee confessed he is keeping his fingers crossed for a Dons win against Rangers on Saturday.

He said: "Aberdeen supporters keep waiting for the club to turn the corner so every game like this they keep thinking will be the one when it happens.

"Last week they were unlucky at Parkhead. Maybe they can beat Rangers and that would represent the start of a change."

McGhee has been out of work since being sacked by Aberdeen.

But he believes he deserves another crack at a job in the SPL — even though he admits Milne was RIGHT to axe him after just 13 wins in his time in charge.

He added: "You can name dozens of cases where a manager has had a difficult time at a club and gone on to other jobs.

"I've been sacked before and gone on to other jobs.

"Aberdeen was different because I was sacked without having any degree of success and that was disappointing. It was a new experience for me.

"At no point at Aberdeen did it go well and you leave because it's the right time to go.

"I deserved the sack, there's no doubt about it. But hopefully people will look at my record because I believe it stands up well. I'm itching to get back involved and have been since the day I left Aberdeen."

McGhee — linked with the Portsmouth job this week — worked a minor miracle in two magnificent years at Motherwell and was touted for the Scotland manager's job as well as the hotseats at Celtic and Hearts.

Many feel he should never have quit Well for Dons.

He added: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing, yet I don't know if I was too quick to leave Motherwell. There were circumstances at the time and I'd shown my hand to the chairman John Boyle.

"There was a possibility of me becoming the Celtic manager and before that I had been interviewed for the Scotland job and I'd also turned down the Hearts job."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3896162/Milne-is-set-to-sue-over-Mark-blast.html#ixzz1bxppcRWA

Similar article in todays Retard.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/10/27/ex-aberdeen-boss-mark-mcghee-denies-doing-dirty-on-dons-and-admits-sacking-me-was-the-right-decision-86908-23518276/

MARK McGHEE last night hit back at reports that claimed he described former club Aberdeen as "rotten to the core". The Dons hero, who was sacked as manager last December after a disastrous spell in charge, was widely quoted in a Sunday newspaper article slamming those in charge of the Pittodrie club.

McGhee was also said to have accused everyone from the chairman to the receptionist of sucking the life out of the club he helped to European Cup Winner's Cup glory.

His comments prompted a scathing response from players who worked under him and from his predecessor, Jimmy Calderwood, who believes McGhee was blaming everyone but himself for his failings.

Yesterday, as he conducted the third-round draw for the Scottish Cup, the 54-year-old attempted to put the record straight and insisted he was seduced by cups of coffee.

He also insisted he deserved the axe.

McGhee said: "I feel totally and utterly let down by the article. I don't know the journalist from Adam and he phoned me for an interview for his website. He bought me coffee and seduced me.

"I said things off the record I maybe shouldn't have said and then he went and printed it in a way that totally embarrasses me and totally misrepresents how I feel.

"I have no problems with anyone at Aberdeen and I have never said a bad word about anyone from Aberdeen since I left the club. I had a really difficult time there and I got out. It's over and it's behind me."

McGhee also denied criticising Dons owner Stewart Milne as an absentee chairman, insisting he was only trying to encourage him to become the figurehead needed to guide Aberdeen out of trouble.

He said: "In my usual smartarse way I was trying to help. I was absolutely gutted because I have been very conscientious about not saying anything negative about Aberdeen.

"A lot of people think Stewart doesn't care but he cares passionately. That's what I was trying to say.

"I had no problems when I was at Aberdeen but I hadn't lived up to the fans' expectations.

"I have been damaged by people who have no interest in Aberdeen and that is unfair.

"I haven't spoken to anyone at Aberdeen as I feel quite embarrassed. That's why I want to set the record straight."

Never one to pull his punches, McGhee did concede he totally underestimated the challenge he faced when quitting Motherwell to take charge at a club where he was revered as a player. He allowed his heart to rule his head and was unable to bring back the glory days.

McGhee said: "My biggest regret is that I didn't do my due diligence properly.

"In the past I've always had a good look at how the club will work and how I will work. There I thought, 'It's Aberdeen, I'm a legend there and everything will be fine'.

"I went there and it wasn't there. That's where I went wrong. There is no bad blood between me or the club."

McGhee is desperate for another crack at management. He said: "I've been sacked before and gone on to other jobs.

"Aberdeen was slightly different because I was sacked without having any degree of success and that was disappointing.

"I deserved the sack, there's no doubt about it. But hopefully people will look at my record because I believe it stands up reasonably well."

McGhee did a decent job first season because he had a strong pool of 13-14 players and with the exception of the Phil O'Donnell tragedy, didn't have to deal with too many injuries.  At St Johnstone he's be faced with the same limitations.

I'd personally like to see Jimmy Calderwood get the job.  I think that it's a tailor made job for him or John Hughes, however I think with the Paul Cook situation, Geoff Brown has shown his hand that he wants a young, hungry man.

Saying them "off the record" makes me believe those are his true feelings, and any comments made "on the record" are made very consciously towards saving face and lining himself up for another job.

"I have no problems with anyone at Aberdeen and I have never said a bad word about anyone from Aberdeen since I left the club.

Maybe not "on the record" but "off the record" you've clearly been slagging us off to anyone who buys you a coffee. Clearly he does have a lot of problems with people at Aberdeen.

This retraction is just digging his hole even deeper. Cunt.

Saying them "off the record" makes me believe those are his true feelings, and any comments made "on the record" are made very consciously towards saving face and lining himself up for another job.

Maybe not "on the record" but "off the record" you've clearly been slagging us off to anyone who buys you a coffee. Clearly he does have a lot of problems with people at Aberdeen.

This retraction is just digging his hole even deeper. Cunt.

Perecisely. Off the record or on the record, the statement you quote above is abundantly untrue.

Its all a bit sad really.

McGhee did a decent job first season because he had a strong pool of 13-14 players and with the exception of the Phil O'Donnell tragedy, didn't have to deal with too many injuries.  At St Johnstone he's be faced with the same limitations.

I'd personally like to see Jimmy Calderwood get the job.  I think that it's a tailor made job for him or John Hughes, however I think with the Paul Cook situation, Geoff Brown has shown his hand that he wants a young, hungry man.

They don't come much hungrier than Jimmy Calderwood.