Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Progress?

mizer
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CRAIG Brown today insisted Aberdeen FC are progressing – despite no change in their league position over the last year.

And he has vowed they will prove it by climbing up the SPL.

When Mark McGhee was axed, crisis-hit Aberdeen FC were second bottom on 10 points after 15 games and battling relegation. A year on and they are still second bottom after 15 games – having registered just 13 points.

Clipboard04-4.jpg

Tempted by the 'Aye but no' option.

The results are much the same. We seem largely incapable of beating anyone of any quality higher than ourselves. Not sure of the exact stats but I'm pretty sure our record against the top six is as bad as I've ever seen it. Even when times were tough before we seemed capable of raising our game on occaision - it just seems now we have no higher standard to raise it to and we'll continue to patch together points against similarly beleagured and poor sides.

Is the squad any better after two transfer windows? In personnel possibly, but good additions such as Osbourne and Arnason are offset by the likes of Maguire and Aluko leaving. No matter what is said and how badly the latter two managed their departures, they would have improved us this season. At the back and up front we seem to have the same level of journeyman cloggers. What is most frustrating about the squad is that the imbalances we lamented McGhee for persist. No-one can convince me that we cannot sign full-backs better than McArdle or wingers better than Milsom.

I don't know if its going to get any better. Brown seems to be convinced that we're playing well and the table shows us in a false position but I don't buy that at all, our fundamental ability to get results has been poor all season. And I'm fucked if I can see any real evidence of that improving soon.

People often say "this is the worst blah blah blah" and I usually think, nah we've been shite before... well, now I don't think there's much argument that AFC now is the worst we've ever been... total utter shite and I canna be fucked deluding myself anymore.

Pretty much the category into which I find myself sinking Jager :(

The thing is we are comparing him to our worst ever manager - he should be doing better. McGhee was in the same position as Brown is just now after 40 odd games, and even Steve Patterson half jaked with a tiny budget has a better record than Brown.

CRAIG BROWN last night claimed Aberdeen losing 2-1 to Rangers, Celtic and Motherwell shows that real progress is being made at Pittodrie.

The under-pressure Dons boss has been in charge at Aberdeen for almost a year and is convinced the club are in a much better shape than when he took over.

However, the stats don't support the veteran manager's case that his side have moved forward.

The Dons are second bottom of the SPL - exactly the same position they were in when Brown took charge.

The club are also only three points better off than they were under blundering boss Mark McGhee who was sacked last December.

But Brown insists the league table DOES lie because his side are now competing with all their rival clubs including the Old Firm.

The veteran manager, whose struggling team has taken just 13 points from 15 games, said: "The SPL is very compact and a few wins in a row can quickly improve your position.

"There is an evenness of standard and the only game we've been outplayed was at St Mirren where we lost 1-0. I genuinely believe we can compete with those teams around us in the SPL and Rangers and Celtic.

"We proved that in the recent games against the Old Firm when we lost both 2-1.

"We also went down by the same margin to Motherwell so there is progress there and I'm sure our fans acknowledge that.

"They have been very supportive but I realise if we don't start winning they will begin to question what is going on.

"The best way to show progress has been made is to get results.

"I believed we would be further up the SPL at this stage of the season but that will happen. Despite the league position there has definitely been progress. The team is better than it was at this time a year ago.

"I have a good, hardworking team with fighting spirit and the fans will see us start to win games and pick up points soon. I am confident about that.

We're in exactly the same position as last season. The board need to invest in this team or we are well and truly fucked. Don't give me its ok to lose 2-1 because its progress, its fucking not. especially at home!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Also not progress when the teams around you are taking points of the old firm when we are losing to them.

We're in exactly the same position as last season. The board need to invest in this team or we are well and truly fucked. Don't give me its ok to lose 2-1 because its progress, its fucking not. especially at home!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Our debt increased by £1.8M last year, despite heavy investment in the form of loans by the board.  There will be no more investment, our debt is £15M for fuck sake

Our debt increased by £1.8M last year, despite heavy investment in the form of loans by the board.  There will be no more investment, our debt is £15M for fuck sake

And it is their strategy that has got us into this mess. I'm sick of it. We have to shell out money, why shouldn't they?

And it is their strategy that has got us into this mess. I'm sick of it. We have to shell out money, why shouldn't they?

They have.

SMG and AAM have put in £2.5M worth of interest free loans in the last financial year.

Spending our way out of this ain't an option.

£2M net loss, £1M operating loss, £1.8M increase in debt to £15.6M and must be pretty damn near insolvent

When you "invest" money in something you don't forfeight any right to getting that money back. Often you would be issued a number of shares (to the value you "invested") which you could sell at any time or in this case they have the right to have their money repaid over time.

"Finance investment is putting money into something with the expectation of gain". In this case the gain isn't shares which may go up in value, or interest paid on the investment. The gain is from the plan hope that the money will allow the club to continue to operate which protects their previous investments in the company.

Nobody ever said they donated the money.