Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Arnason leaving

tlg1903

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with the money taken in over the last year or so (Maguire, Aluko, Foster, Grimmer) we should be taking a punt on this and keeping him till summer.

Keeping him will increase our chances of getting back into the top 6/Europe (success!) and help us in the cup. What would we get for him anyway? £100k? With Milsom out and Osbourne also injured we'd need a quality midfielder in. Is Folly ever going to play again? I was a fan of him. Could certainly do with him now.

I think with the money taken in over the last year or so (Maguire, Aluko, Foster, Grimmer) we should be taking a punt on this and keeping him till summer.

Keeping him will increase our chances of getting back into the top 6/Europe (success!) and help us in the cup. What would we get for him anyway? £100k? With Milsom out and Osbourne also injured we'd need a quality midfielder in. Is Folly ever going to play again? I was a fan of him. Could certainly do with him now.

Unless we can convince Boro out of another £600k?

Was offered deal to be highest paid player but club wouldnt break it's wage structure to go any higher.

Seems stupid to me that we'll "take a punt" on players like Fallon and offer him quite a high wage but when a player has proven to have a positive impact on the side we won't push the boat out a bit more.

Made the point in summer that signing players on 1 year deals would never see the club progress. The fact we're in the exact same situation now that we were a year ago just proves this. Look forward to another summer of injured trialists and 1 year deals.  :-\

I think it would be completely stupid to sell mid season, it'll disrupt the team during a critical period for us all. I'd rather lose him for nothing in the summer.

Agreed.

I'll be seriously fucked off if we do, but then again when did they ever give a toss about the fans ::)

Players like Arnason are should be exempt from this wage structure.  :hammer:

By having this wage structure in place you're basically saying "we can't really improve the squad" so fuck it let's not bother.

This will go a long way to decided my season ticket status for next season.

From the person who broke the story (Liam McLeod), apparently Gavin Rae is being lined up as a replacement.

This better be a fucking joke!

Just as we were on a wee run and seeing some promise in our team this happens.  I was resigned to him going in the summer but see no benefit to letting him go now unless somebody has silly money while replacing him with Gavin Rae strikes me a singularly unambitous and short sighted  :hammer:

we HAVE to sell him this week ffs.

We're not qualifying for europe with him and not getting relegated without him. Need to cash in.

How do you know this? We're still in the cup, the league is tight so there is still a chance, however slim. I mean you're probably right, but we're not out of the woods yet. Why get rid when it will completely demoralise the support? This is the first signing that has had the support of all the fans, who was the last one that could claim that?

The club will move on from this, but as others have said, it's a clear signal from the board to all the fans...meh.

Dundee fans have heard Rae is going to sign for an Australian team

that was a mistake. they thought he said he was going down under. he actually said he's joining a team going down.

That would apply to us if we're getting rid of the only player who's been actually winning us points recently.

not to worry though. Russell Anderson will be fit for the 1st division season.

christ - folk STILL don't understand transfer fees... a transfer fee paid to the club is basically the amount a player is currently being paid multiplied by the remaining duration of a contract... why the fuck would there be "stupid money" for a cheapskate 6 month contract  ???

There won't be so don't see why he should go now.

Anyway on the fishall site:

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20120125/arnason-set-to-leave-_2212158_2588552

Dons midfielder Kari Arnason looks set to leave Pittodrie in the summer after the player rejected an improved offer to stay at the Club.

An AFC spokesperson commented. "We made Kari an exceptionally good offer, however the player believes he can earn a better deal elsewhere and it looks like he'll be moving on at the end of the season. Reports that the club is willing to sell the Icelandic international in the current transfer window are wide of the mark though as he is crucial to our plans for the remainder of the current campaign, both in terms of climbing up the SPL table and enjoying a fruitful run in the Scottish Cup."

The 29 year old, who has played 17 times for his country, joined Aberdeen from Plymouth Argyle last summer. Kari has made 24 appearances for the Dons this season, scoring 3 goals.