Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Arnason leaving

tlg1903

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect, that is rubbish maverick.

if people think arnie will win us a cup then i hope you're right, but it seems like a pipe dream to me. heart ruling head.

it's a choice between a wee transfer fee or no transfer fee.

but it's academic. no one will offer money, so i only hope he doesn't accept a pre-con offer before may, otherwise he'll be more interested in staying injury free than putting himself in the shop window.

if people think arnie will win us a cup then i hope you're right, but it seems like a pipe dream to me. heart ruling head.

it's a choice between a wee transfer fee or no transfer fee.

but it's academic. no one will offer money, so i only hope he doesn't accept a pre-con offer before may, otherwise he'll be more interested in staying injury free than putting himself in the shop window.

I can understand where you're coming from, but if you think we're going to see any of this transfer fee if they manage to generate you'd be misled :( I just think its a risk worth taking. See where we end up, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but hey ho, if you don't take risks you never get anywhere.

I can understand where you're coming from, but if you think we're going to see any of this transfer fee if they manage to generate you'd be misled :( I just think its a risk worth taking. See where we end up, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but hey ho, if you don't take risks you never get anywhere.

This is very true.

We, the fans, are basically just fucked.

Starting to think our only hope is to club together for a Donstalk lottery syndicate to buy this Milne crook out and start repairing the damage he's done.

Anyway, thanks for the 4 minute bounce on Saturday Arnie. Was fucking class!

There is a good argument for giving him the money and signing him up for 3 years. We could keep him  next season and then get rid in the summer making back the extra money spent and more.

The problem is if he regressed into horeshit ala Seve or Mark Kerr or Mulgrew or got seriously inured wed be left with a pig in a poke and even deeper in the hole (calm down Mizer).

I think in this case and having seen what he can do it would be worth the risk

I'm surprised we didn't offer £5k TBH be honest. I had a discussion of Facebook yesterday where one boy was absolutely convinced that Fallon was on £5k per week. If that's true then we're in fucking trouble. I still highly doubt it though.

Seriously doubt it, although I was led to believe that a certain central defender signed by Dingus and released by Broon was on more than that ::)

well aye me for one. Not in a bitter way, and not benching him. that's twattish. if we said thanks and sold him this week and used the wages on a good loan replacement to the end of the season I can't see how that's bad business.

Manc, i understand what you said earlier about the cup run. I'm tempted to agree, but if we don't win a trophy then it'll look like a pointless gamble. I'm not saying anyone's going to offer money now rather than wait til summer, but if they do i'd take it.

I just disagree with the point about the squad being deflated if we lose him now. The squad is going to be massively deflated either way. The board have essentially admitted to everyone in the world that if you are a good footballer who can make any kind of a living at the game, then you need to stay away from aberdeen, or get out as fast as you can.

Him being there makes anything good that happens on the pitch tinged with the realisation that it may only be because of him. That certainly won't convince anyone else on the books to stay beyond the summer/end of contract.

A loan player would be someone I'd view as more replaceable, and the less players under contract at the club at any time who make it known they want to leave the better.

long drawn out break ups are worse than just cutting and running. If we don't sell up and move on asap, for the rest of the season we'll be talking about this utterly depressing hoseshit!!!

How much would we get for Arnie? Not much I reckon. What are the chances of us getting in a loan player who would be immediately up to speed, fit into the team, be fully fit, have the experience of Arnie and perform as well as he has?  Pretty slim I would think.

Keep him in the team, let him show of his skills to potential teams and don't disrupt our team more than we need.

Meanwhile identify a player to bring in during the summer when he has time to gel with the rest of the team

How much would we get for Arnie? Not much I reckon. What are the chances of us getting in a loan player who would be immediately up to speed, fit into the team, be fully fit, have the experience of Arnie and perform as well as he has?  Pretty slim I would think.

Keep him in the team, let him show of his skills to potential teams and don't disrupt our team more than we need.

Meanwhile identify a player to bring in during the summer when he has time to gel with the rest of the team

Seems pretty straightforward eh? So I am certain that AFC will find the "more complicated and more likely to hamper the team" option.

What are the chances of us getting in a loan player who would be immediately up to speed, fit into the team, be fully fit, have the experience of Arnie and perform as well as he has?

Probably as much chance as when we got Arnason/Osbourne/Folly/any other defensive midfielder in the first place.  Come on, it’s not like he’s Zinedine f@ckin Zidane! I’d take a transfer fee in a heartbeat.  Here’s a player that cost us nothing and we have the chance of making a profit on – prob at least £50k in wages until June and perhaps £100k on a transfer fee.  He’s a good player but he wont be as badly missed as some of you are making out.  It’s best for everyone concerned if he goes before the end of the month.  The penny seems to be finally dropping with AFC that in the absence of any relative success, we have to become a selling club.

Probably as much chance as when we got Arnason/Osbourne/Folly/any other defensive midfielder in the first place.  Come on, it’s not like he’s Zinedine f@ckin Zidane! I’d take a transfer fee in a heartbeat.  Here’s a player that cost us nothing and we have the chance of making a profit on – prob at least £50k in wages until June and perhaps £100k on a transfer fee.  He’s a good player but he wont be as badly missed as some of you are making out.  It’s best for everyone concerned if he goes before the end of the month.  The penny seems to be finally dropping with AFC that in the absence of any relative success, we have to become a selling club.

I'm not sure the money is worth it.  Yes we may be getting in a player on a par with those listed but equally we could end up with horse-shit. Why take the chance and disrupt the team more than we have to, and then lose the loan player at the end of the season too?  Of course he's not ZZ but I'd rather stick with him for now, which, in my opinion, will give us the best (all be it slim) chance of getting anything out of this season.

I'm not sure the money is worth it.  Yes we may be getting in a player on a par with those listed but equally we could end up with horse-shit. Why take the chance and disrupt the team more than we have to, and then lose the loan player at the end of the season too?  Of course he's not ZZ but I'd rather stick with him for now, which, in my opinion, will give us the best (all be it slim) chance of getting anything out of this season.

None of us can know for sure which way it would go.  He is a good player, a stalwart for us this season probably.  And the team was poorer when he wasn't in it, yes, but that's more of a sign of the chronic lack of balance or creativity in our squad rather than anything else.  From a business point of view, with our current injury list only likely to get worse it is better we sell him and use his wage on one or two loan signings, rather than have to replace him with fresh air at the end of the season.  He's influential and a good leader but he's not a match-winner.

And therein lies the problem.

We seriously lack creativity and we rely on workmanlike players like Arnason and Osbourne to pull us through.  When did we last have a midfielder capable of scoring 8-10 goals a season?  We hounded the last one out of town (Gary McDonald - "The Poor Man's Frank Lampard"TM) because we didn't think he worked hard enough, and the one before that, Barry Nicholson, was chronically under-appreciated, when the truth is he was possibly the best player Aberdeen have had in the last ten years.

I think we've got a bit cynical here - AFC have made some really good loan signings over the past few years.  The jury is out on how Reynolds will turn out for us, but he is a really good player.  And don't forget the year after Russell Anderson left, AFC had arguably their most successful season for 10-15 years.  Point being one player does not make a team.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy if he stays, but I think the money could be better spent elsewhere rather than going up in smoke.

kariw.png

‘Arnason wasn’t looking for £20,000 a month from Aberdeen FC’

KARI Arnason’s agent today hit out at claims the midfielder held Aberdeen FC to ransom over a new contract.

Arnason, who has knocked back a new deal offered to him by the club, is upset by reports suggesting he was demanding £20,000 a month to stay at Pittodrie.

That figure was quoted as Arnason’s expected minimum wage on the official website of his agent, former Aberdeen player David

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16926167

???

Shouldn't be surprised, but I'd have thought Arnason was a contender. In fact if he can't win it after the way he played last month, he's never going to be recognised by anyone other than the dons fans.

Suits me just fine! He's does a decent job for us and i'd be happy enough to see him with us next season  :thumbsup: