• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arnason: ‘I could still stay with Aberdeen FC’

Arnason keeping his options open

By Sean Wallace

Published: 14/02/2012

KARI Arnason today revealed he still wants to stay at Pittodrie, but only if Aberdeen FC offer him more money.

Aberdeen FC have frozen contract talks with Arnason after the Icelandic international rejected a second improved offer.

Arnason’s profile page on his agent’s website stated he was looking for £20,000 per month, but Arnason said: “I still want to stay at Aberdeen.”

• 2 weeks later...
ICELAND manager Lars Lagerback has warned Kari Arnason that he could ruin his international career if he leaves Aberdeen FC.

Contract rebel Arnason is set to end two years in the Icelandic squad wilderness in a friendly against Montenegro tonight.

The midfielder, whose contract expires in the summer, has already rejected two deals from Aberdeen FC and admitted he is looking for more cash.

ICELANDIC midfielder Kari Arnason remains in the dark over whether he will be at Aberdeen FC next season.

Contract talks have stalled after Arnason, who is out of contract in the summer, rejected two improved deals from Aberdeen FC.

If this is to be his only season at Pittodrie, he aims to leave on a high – with Scottish Cup glory at Hampden in May.

I really do think he wants to stay. He clearly likes playing for us at least - he's the last guy off the pitch today, look at his reaction to the penalty save. 

Just sign, Kari.  You know you want to, you know we want you to. Makes sense all round, so let's stop the fucking about, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
"I always said I wanted to stay at the club regardless. If we can go forward in the cup and get to the final it will make the situation more interesting if the club is in Europe. We haven't discussed anything for a while, I definitely see myself at the club and I want to stay but on the other hand I will be turning thirty this year and it might be my last chance at a good contract. It's the clubs decision at the end of the day, I can't force their hand. I know the situation at the club and I wasn't expecting the world, the deal they offered was very good at Aberdeen level. I believe in this team and when everyone is fully fit I think we are one of the strongest teams in Scotland, there is no question."

Well in the sun he says his contract talks ending has led to his dip in form. He again states that he hopes Aberdeen offer him a new contract. Whether or not it's factual quotes, the board should push the boat out for a player like him especially with Fyvie saying he wants to leave. I personally don't think he is being greedy as there is no doubt he has been one of our best signings for years. The only surprise is that no one has snapped him up. He could easily be playing top level championship football for £10,000+ a week. Hope a deal can be reached. That is all :thumbsup: