Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

How to Punish NewCo

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Motherwell have become the first club to react to the news that Rangers will be liquidated after failing to agree a CVA out of administration.

The Lanarkshire club said it would canvass supporters and stakeholders in the club before coming to a decision on how to treat a ‘newco’ Rangers and its attempts to enter the SPL.

A spokesman for the board at Motherwell FC said: “The Board is very aware of implications of all scenarios and will consider them in detail when all the information we need is at our disposal.

“We regard the sustainability of the club and the integrity of the sport as inter-linked. We have a duty to act in the interests of our club and we hope these can be reconciled with the interests of the game.

“It really is more important than ever that all Motherwell fans continue their fantastic support of our club.”

Supporters of a number of SPL teams have lobbied their clubs to state their intentions when it comes to a vote on ‘newco’ Rangers. A vote of eight to four by the SPL members is required to approve immediate entry to the country’s top league.

Hmmm!

‘No Rangers in top flight would be disaster for football’

But former Aberdeen FC player Jim Bett says Light Blues must be punished

By Sean Wallace

Published: 13/06/2012

AS CRISIS-HIT Rangers edge towards liquidation, former Aberdeen FC and Ibrox star Jim Bett today warned an SPL without them would be a disaster.

As his former club teeter on the abyss, Bett – who spent three seasons at Ibrox – insisted Rangers must be punished for financial mismanagement.

With the death of Rangers imminent, Bett, who starred for the Ibrox club from 1980 to 1983, said: “Rangers in liquidation will be a disaster not just for the club and its fans, but Scottish football as a whole.”

:hammer:

It's gonna end up being a wet willy compromise! Can see it coming, same "old"/new huns, same squad, same stadium, same cheating non-tax-paying lying lawbreakers.....etc.

as my Grndfather used to say ".....the SFA/SL will change the rules before they allow rangers/celtic out of the top league...." from someone who had over 60 years experience of the SFA, SL, SJFA and Juveniles as secretary for Aberdeen/North East.

(BTW he died before the advent of the SPL hence why he said SFA/SL)

I think there is so much of this still to run that once liquidation actually arrives (at least a fortnight), is it even feasible a newco will be in any shape to play anywhere? There are going to be issues over control of the assets that could run and run - the longer that goes on, the longer it'll take for an application to be made.

I really think it's a likely scenario that there is no huns fc next season in any league.

I think there is so much of this still to run that once liquidation actually arrives (at least a fortnight), is it even feasible a newco will be in any shape to play anywhere? There are going to be issues over control of the assets that could run and run - the longer that goes on, the longer it'll take for an application to be made.

I really think it's a likely scenario that there is no huns fc next season in any league.

Agreed, only 6 weeks until the new season begins

Been my thoughts for a while now too, mainly because it gives a sort of rogue's compromise. They could effectively get away with the lightest punishment we've been speculating about, but next year rather than this. Much as I'd like to think the no to newco protest would be as loud, I doubt there'd be the same vocal outrage a year from now when it's not so fresh in people's minds.

Either way, it just seems unrealistic even for the SPL that the newco could be ushered in in time for the season to kick off.

Been my thoughts for a while now too, mainly because it gives a sort of rogue's compromise. They could effectively get away with the lightest punishment we've been speculating about, but next year rather than this. Much as I'd like to think the no to newco protest would be as loud, I doubt there'd be the same vocal outrage a year from now when it's not so fresh in people's minds.

Either way, it just seems unrealistic even for the SPL that the newco could be ushered in in time for the season to kick off.

That would leave SPL with only 11 teams for next season. Cannot see that happening. They will rush something through to allow them in.

Here is the way I see it, and if it was any other club this is how it would be I am sure. Rangers Oldco cannot possibly guarantee that they can fullfill their fixtures for season, 2012/2013. With a new takeover bid in the works and the fixtures coming out in 4 days, a Newco is not going to be up and running in time. Surely the only option is for the SPL to replace Rangers and then the SFL invite clubs to apply to Join. If the Newco are still not up and running then oh well.

its funny, i'm just watching the tv program on Rangers and the presenter has said that they may have to play in the 3rd division if, and i quote, "the SPL clubs decide to vote them out"

WTF?

that goes to show how fucked up the whole situation is, they lost their place in the league through their OWN financial mismanagement yet STV is putting it across that we will vote them out? Eh sorry guys, you fucked this up all on your own so stop blaming the SPL/HMRC/everyone else you can think of and take responsibility for your own fuck ups.

arseholes!

And that the Dons have avoided relegation twice in the last 12 years on a technicality  ::)

Yeah that its rich we are talking about sporting integrity. The man was a cunny funt :wanker:

We played to the rules of the sport. They broke of the laws of the country...

Recorded the STV one and just stuck it on now. What a mistake. Fucking furious already.

"vote them out"

"Rangers have already been severely punished"

"how can they expect a tv company to put down money if the league isn't competitive"

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: