Dons v Helen

make do? Its an AFC station, no-one should need to listen anything else ! :thumbsup:

Surprised about the BBC chat, but I stopped listening last season because they did my head in.

I tend to find they are even more biased than I am, which is saying something. I think there are averagely four incidents per match which should be an Aberdeen penalty according to Northsound!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 2001/02 season we were playing some pug ugly football ... but goals were going in every game. Crowds were up. Why? Cos we were winning. All this huff and puff is for nothing if we cannae hit the back of the net.

Brown, go and get McFadden now, before its too late and we sustain an injury to Fraser or Hayes

Aye, it is starting to get a bit old now. We've seemed like the best team over the season, any decent goals to chances ratio would see us clear at the top by a few points. And its really games we should be winning too, this will come back a really bite us in the ass come the end of the season.

I was so annoyed when I realised the formation was 4 4 2 today, I thought it'd be a 3 5 2 with Magennis up with Vernon. I feel sorry for Vernon, at times its seemed like he's had to hold the ball up, feed the wingers then get into the box to provide the finish too.

I just really hope theres someone Brown is looking at who is unattached, is McGinn going to be the answer from what we've saw already?? I dunno... How good was Cammy Smith when he came on?? Worth a start or two??

I thought we had an attacking line up today, buy it was a 4 5 1.

Hard to criticise broon when we had so much domination of the game, but too often we didn't get enough numbers in the box.

Osborne is an absolute star. I thought Considine was great yet again, and wee Fraser is a breath of fresh air.

Aye, excuse me, I meant a 4 5 1 and not a 4 4 2. Anything with 2 up front would do me. I can see how the 1 up front potentially works, with Hughes, Hayes and Fraser all supporting Vernon but it just isn't at the minute. I'd had loved to see the same line up but with Magennis up front, three solid centre backs, the same five in midfield and two up, but I presume Considine was more of a left back. We're at home, we're playing flowing football and we have a solid looking defence, why just one up, why???

Seems to  me that when the ball is out on the left wing, Hayes is creeping in to help Vernon upfront. When it's on the right, Fraser is coming in to the middle to help. Like I say, though, my biggest worry is that Fraser & Hayes will get a reputation soon. All it takes is for some unrelenting thug wi' nae skill but heavy feet to take one of them out for a couple of months and we're screwed. We MUST take these opportunities that these two are providing before one (or both) become injured.

Not as entertaining as the Hearts game but still pumped them. Just could not stick it in the net. Smith had a great chance and did really well to get to the header in the first place as he was the smallest player on the pitch. Disappointed to have only come away with a point. Can't really criticise any of the players, again the defence in particular Anderson and Considine, and the midfield was brilliant. Osbourne put in another brilliant shift. It's just up top where we are lacking. I can really see the logic behind a front 3 of Hayes - Vernon - Fraser but Vernon just can't play on his own. I assume McGinn would have been ear-marked to possibly partner Vernon but he is injured and him and Fallon are just too similar. I wouldn't mind seeing Megginson being given a chance up top.

Can anyone also tell me why Megennis was given a new deal? What's his role at the club? He is 22 or so and has already played in 3 different positions, neither of which is he even competent at! This points to me that the boy is just not a football player. He was the weakest link in a strong defence and it showed.

On a sidenote, I didn't realise that I could have hated Jim Goodwin anymore. A truly horrible player and a disgusting individual, somebody that shouldn't deserve to be a footballer. He ended Hartley's career and at times yesterday, it looked like he was determined to end someone else's career. A complete and utter cunt.

Craig Brown was full of praise for his Aberdeen players despite seeing them again fail to score in a goalless draw with St Mirren.

The Dons' stalemate with the Buddies was the fourth time they had failed to find the back of the net in their opening five Clydesdale Bank Premier League matches.

But Brown refused to be too despondent after seeing his men enjoy the better of the chances and possession.

He said: "I think we were dominant in the game. We hit the post and the bar and we missed a lot of chances.

"If we continue to play like that then we can't complain. We can only be disappointed that we haven't got the results that I think our play deserves.

"Our three home games have been very similar and you notice the rejoicing from the opposing support and bench.

"It's a compliment that these teams come and are very happy to leave with a point.

"It was a great effort from the team and a good performance, except for the finishing."

Youngster Cameron Smith was closest to grabbing the winner when he came off the bench and almost scored from a Jonny Hayes cross, only to see his header come back off the crossbar.

Brown admitted it would have been a fairytale moment had the 17-year-old managed to score the decisive goal on his Pittodrie debut.

He added: "Wee Cammy could have been the hero today when he headed it against the underside of the bar. For a 17-year-old to come in and score the winner, it would have been a dream for him. He has come off the bench away from home against Inverness but that was him playing at home for the first time.

"It would have been great for him to score but it will come. He will score goals here for sure.''

St Mirren manager Danny Lennon was also satisfied that his team's gritty display earned a point at the end of a tiring week.

The Buddies followed up last Sunday's 1-1 draw against Motherwell with an impressive 5-1 midweek win over Ayr United in the Scottish Communities League Cup.

And the hard-earned point at Pittodrie means they now move into the top half of the league, only two points behind leaders Celtic.

Lennon said: "I'm delighted to come up and get a point. It has been a very demanding week with three games in six days but we have picked up a very valuable point.

"We had to do it in a way that we are not accustomed to.

"We usually enjoy long spells of possession and we like to boss the ball but to be fair to Aberdeen they put us under pressure for long periods in the game.

"There is no doubt they had the best opportunities of the match.

"I have to give a whole lot of credit to our boys for rolling up their sleeves and showing a whole lot of character. We matched their determination.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19452033

Craig Brown defended the release of striker Michael Paton despite his Aberdeen side's failure to score for a third home match running.

"When a guy wants to play rather than sit on the bench, it's not fair to keep him," Brown said of the 23-year-old who was released on Friday.

"Michael was never a prolific scorer. The decision was taken as much for him.

"I said he was not going to be first choice even with Rory Fallon and Niall McGinn injured."

Play media

Brown said Paton's departure will also give him a chance to develop further the talents of teenagers like Cammy Smith, Ryan Fraser and Jordan Brown.

Striker Smith struck the underside of the bar with a header shortly before coming on as a substitute in the 0-0 draw with St Mirren .

"For a 17-year-old, that could have been a dream home debut," said Brown.

"But it will come - he will score goals for us."

Brown was not panicking about the lack of home victories and praised his side's determination against the Buddies.

"I cannot complain about anything other than the finishing," he added.

"The three home games have been very similar.

"Even without four key players out injured, we were dominant in the game. If we continue to play like that, I can't complain.

"I am content in that it is a good Aberdeen team that will compete well in this Scottish Premier League.

"You saw the rejoicing on the St Mirren bench and that is compliment to our team."

???

BBC getting worse

Sad to see folk saying they won't be back to pittodrie. We're playing better, attacking football and bossing games more than we have for years and despite immense frustration coming away from the last two games I've been entertained. The team is barely recognisable from last year never mind the dross from the McGhee era. Looking forward to seeing mcginn coming back into the side and playing just behind Vernon or Fallon giving them more support and threat through the middle. Hughes was trying to do that yesterday but wasn't fully fit and doesn't quite have the legs for that roll.

433 formation is allowing us to dominate the middle of the park but we need more support in the middle up front.  Only complaint with the manager yesterday was putting Clark on instead of Smith but when Smith did finally appear he looked promising.

The break has probably come at a good time for us and hopefully have McGinn, Jack, Fallon and Robertson back for ict which will hopefully see us building on some very good but ultimately frustrating performances.