Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Finished Steve Patersons book last night. Thought it was a smashing read, nice to read a biography where the author isn't all up himself talking about how good he is and everything he has won.

Started on Big Duncs book now. I'm not a fan of hardback books at all. Paperback FTW!

Kindle can GTF.

Finished Steve Patersons book last night. Thought it was a smashing read, nice to read a biography where the author isn't all up himself talking about how good he is and everything he has won.

Started on Big Duncs book now. I'm not a fan of hardback books at all. Paperback FTW!

Kindle can GTF.

:thumbsup:

Kindle can GTF.

Get to feck! I think it's a good bit of equipment!

Just starting Paterson's book after finishing 'Round Ireland With A Fridge'. Fairly amusing book and an enjoyable read which I have come to expect from Tony Hawks.

Just starting Paterson's book after finishing 'Round Ireland With A Fridge'. Fairly amusing book and an enjoyable read which I have come to expect from Tony Hawks.

Good book that, thought Playing the Moldovians at Tennis was his best though. One Hit Wonderland and A Piano in France were both a bit shit I thought.

Heard him talking about the film they are going to be making about it when he was on the radio.

Already read more books this year (2) than in the last four or five years combined so I might give this one a look.

Getting tore into that Steig Larsson trilogy just now.

So far so good.

I was going to get started on those once I've managed to finish off a few books that I've started and not manage to finish so far. They are only a few pounds each on Kindle so think I'll make them my first purchase, Dave.  :wave:

Also got Tom Clancy Dead or Alive in my 'to read' pile.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a 2 week holiday, where I read the first five Stuart MacBride books which I loved. Thanks to Rebus30 for recommending this author in reply to a query I previously posted in this thread.

I noticed in previous few posts both positive and negative references to 'Kindle'. Just prior to going away on my hols I read it was the most popular purchase on Amazon at Christmas, the latest model could be read in sunlight and weighed around 1.8kg. I would be interested in views on the Kindle v paperbacks, as I weighed the six paperback books taking on my hols and they were 2.3 kg!

The kindle is the iPhone of digital readers.  It's very good at what it does but you are restricted in the format you can use.  There are other digi readers that do the same but you can use any format you like which means you can use a lot more free stuff.  Sony has a very good one but I can't remember what it's called

Just read Stephen Fry's latest autobiography and On Fire With Fergie while on holiday.

Stephen Fry's book was certainly interesting, charting his life from finishing school to the start of Blackadder. Certainly lived an interesting life and although and bit pompous and pretentious at times (which he fully acknowledges) quite an engaging and interesting story.

On Fire was great, and imagine would spark some treasured memories for those just a little older than me who were about to watch the rise of afc through the late 70s and early 80s. Loved the complete contempt the kid had for United and Hearts and articulated as well as anything why Dandies the world over hate the Huns (and who would have believed the book stops short of 1988 and that tackle).  Certainly got me in the mood for this weeks Cup Semifinal  :thumbsup:

I did it the othe way around and found them about even, i'm easy pray though I loved Sheaers obvious love for our club. Sad thing about Paterson is he probably pissed his potential away but without the drink he probably wouldn't have been the same coach anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Much to report since last post on here.

In no particular order have read the following:

Ken Follet - The Pillars Of The Earth. A decent story from Mr Follet as ever, but at almost 1100 pages, it was at least 500 too many, and the story could easily have been condensed somewhat.

George W Bush - Decision Points. Wouldn't have bought it from choice, but given it as a present and actually a decent enough read, if only because I take an interest in current affairs and everything that happened in it is fairly recent and easily rememberable.

David Peace - 1974. Finished it but to be honest wouldn't rave about it. Think that boils down more to his style of writing rather than the story itself which was ok.

Stuart McBride - Dark Blood. Latest paperback offering on Aberdeen's finest. Been critical of Mr McBride in the past for being far fetched, but this one puts him right back in the frame. Excellent read and finished in a train journey to Newcastle and back.

Currently enjoying a book by Paul McGuigan (Oasis) and Paolo Hewiit entitled "The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw" which is the poignant, funny and tragic story of Robin Friday.

Stuff I've got through recently includes Jonathan Wilson (Guardian)'s book on the history of tactics, Inverting the Pyramid. Easily my favourite writer when it comes to that aspect of the game. David Conn's The Beautiful Game? was also an interesting read but it's a few years out of date now. Currently hitting Stewart Lee's effort from last year.

Currently enjoying a book by Paul McGuigan (Oasis) and Paolo Hewiit entitled "The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw" which is the poignant, funny and tragic story of Robin Friday.

Reminds me of this:

I am currently reading a book entitled absolute war: soviet russia in the second world war. Seems good so far.