Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Oddly enough I was thinking about this thread the other day - Can't remember what I was reading when I last posted but I have just finished my yearly Ian Rankin book and am now on to a historical novel set in 16th century Renaissance Italy about a prostitute and a dwarf 

I also made the mistake today of buying 3 books for my holiday when I already have another 3 waiting to be read and I am only going away for a week  ;D

Just finished Paddy Ashdown's autobiography.  An excellent read.  The stuff he has done in his life (Royal Marines, SBS, MI6, High Representative for Bosnia and Herzegovina, and not to mention his secretary!) must put any other MP to shame.

Now reading this:

51yMGKiSKpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

:-\

• 1 month later...

Just finished Paddy Ashdown's autobiography.  An excellent read.  The stuff he has done in his life (Royal Marines, SBS, MI6, High Representative for Bosnia and Herzegovina, and not to mention his secretary!) must put any other MP to shame.

Bought this last week on your recommendation. Only a hundred pages or so into it, but an enjoyable read.

Loved the story about the two pieces of stale bread and a live frog that formed the basis of a Marines survival lesson ;)

I downloaded one Rich Hall book for my Kindle and ended up reading all three:

Rich Hall: Things Snowball - excellent read, with a chapter devoted to Aberdeen

Rich Hall: Magnificent Bastards - not quite as good as Things Snowball but still very good

Otis Lee Crenshaw: I Blame Society - very well written book about Rich Hall's alter ego, and his supposed true life up bringing in the deep south

All three are worth a read but I'd start with "Things Snowball" if you're interested.

i love rich hall

check this

Are you in the habit of  ???

God yeh - all the time - especially when I go with the girls  ;D

Fell asleep watching the tennis last night and during a play at the fringe when I was in the front row............................oops and also at work last week watching a security dvd  :o

Bought this last week on your recommendation. Only a hundred pages or so into it, but an enjoyable read.

Loved the story about the two pieces of stale bread and a live frog that formed the basis of a Marines survival lesson ;)

You finished it yet?  I enjoyed the marines and SBS stuff more than any of the rest of it but it was still a good read.  Can't think of another UK politician I'd read an autobiography of.

i love rich hall

check this

:lolabove:

I reckon the cheeky bastard loves Aberdeen, he has it in for us in one of books too.  I saw him in the Lemon Tree a few years ago and he was superb.

---

I finished the Piper Alpha book.  Fascinating / gripping / terrifying all in one go.  Anybody that works in the oil industry should read it IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Just finished re-reading a book called ready player one by earnest cline.  Its kinda like the matrix meets lotr, if your a geek you will like it especially if you grew up in the 80's.  I firts read it 3 weeks ago and was planning giving it a few months until i re-read it but i just couldn't help myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Must have read dozens of books since last posting on this thread, and to be hnoest can't really be arsed remembering and listing them all, but just finished reading "The Postman Always Rings Twice" by James M Cain. If ever there was a book ahead of its time then this is it. Although short at less than 150 pages, it is a cracking read and recommended to you all. Mind seeing the picture based upon it staring Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lang many many years ago.

Bought myself one of these kindles and got a memory stick off a mate with around 1000 books on it, so not going to be stuck for a good read for a while by the looks of it :thumbsup:

The-Thistle-and-the-Grail.jpg

Reading this, it's about a fictional junior club in Scotland.

Finished this a while ago, it was good - showing its' age though.

Started this -

746929-L.jpg

Gave up about a third of the way through, on account of the author getting on my tits.

Started this -

51y7Y1Sa%2BRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I went a bit daft in the Library this week and last and took out too many. I can't possibly read them all by 28 Dec and 4 Jan. Included are two that I will read first:-

1. The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. First read it when I was 16 and promised myself I would have to re-read it but never got round to it.

2. The complete works of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Only ever come across quotes and ideas attributed to him but never drank from the horses mouth.

Biographical stuff on Seve and Oscar Wilde after that.

• 2 weeks later...