THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

I'm resisting the hype of Fifty Shades, ...... but only for 6 months!

I intend taking Mr Grey to Tenerife with me in January  :thumbsup:

It was disturbing how many different folk had this book by the pool on holiday.  I couldn't help but laugh when I saw a ginger guy reading it. I opted for downloading to my kindle rather than buying the books thankfully.

It was disturbing how many different folk had this book by the pool on holiday.  I couldn't help but laugh when I saw a ginger guy reading it. I opted for downloading to my kindle rather than buying the books thankfully.

Mine will be on my kindle too, thankfully!

My wee Sis and I got Mum a kindle touch for her 65th birthday last week, .. the first books she downloaded were the 50 Shades trilogy  :o

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Day of the Jackal.  First 100 pages I was a wee bit "meh", but then "wow".  Brilliant stuff.  The Dogs of War up very shortly.

Presently reading "The Lost British Serial Killer - Closing the Case on Peter Tobin and Bible John".  75 pages in, good so far, I had never appreciated that Bible John's first victim was found 200yds from my old flat in Glasgow (just around the corner from Church on the Hill), but there you are.  Obviously goes on to speculate, plausibly if circumstancially, that Peter Tobin is/was Bible John.

Also reading Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith.  Anyone read this?  Only just started it, chopping & changing between these two.

Got a pile to get through including a bunch of Tom Clancy whom I'm never read before even though I've seen a couple of the films.

Just finished this - width=254 height=400http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0WVKOY7SC2I/TESuXb-EaGI/AAAAAAAAJXk/9bdTkee9JVA/s1600/friends+like+these+wallace.jpg[/img]

Enjoyable as ever from Danny Wallace.

Just started this - DavyJohnston.jpg

I'd never really heard of the book or Davy Johnston, probably because he didn't play for Aberdeen all that long but his story interested me. Leaving the SPL twice to go back to playing for Nairn part-time. He scored 37 goals in 99 games for AFC, mostly when playing on the wing!

Don't actually remember Davy Johnston in an Aberdeen shirt, but certainly remember him playing for Nairn in the Highland League towards the end of his career. Regardless of what level of football you play any player who can score 480 goals in just over 570 games is a little bit special. Sadly passed away around ten years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't actually remember Davy Johnston in an Aberdeen shirt, but certainly remember him playing for Nairn in the Highland League towards the end of his career. Regardless of what level of football you play any player who can score 480 goals in just over 570 games is a little bit special. Sadly passed away around ten years ago.

Aye. Seemingly spent the majority of his career playing for Nairn or in the Highland League (I think he went to Inverness Caley after Aberdeen) which seems a terrible shame given his undoubted ability. Played something like 11 games for Hearts as an 18 year old and then went to Aberdeen around the age of 24, spending a couple of seasons at Pittodrie before walking oot. Half-way through the book and Johnston has just signed for the Dons. Good enough book so far, interesting hearing about the Highland League teams.

• 5 weeks later...

Crikey months and months since I'vep osted about what I either am or have read.

Far too many have come and gone to possibly list them all.

Will however pick out one that I can seriously recommend and that is "I'm Not Really Here, A Life Of Two Halves" by Paul Lake.

Lake was Manchester born and bred, signed for Man City as a fifteen year old, was captain by the time he was twenty one, selcted for the Engerlund 1990 World Cup training squad, and although he didn't make the final squad was already identified as a future Engerlund captain. Excellent read, despite McMoist and Durrant getting a mention as they were at Lilleshall at the same time. His career was over almost as quickly as it started, but after years of torment and depression trained as a pyysiotherapist working for several clubs and is now back at Man City as Community Ambassador.

Tried to read the Game of Thrones book that others raved about, really wanted to enjoy it, but frankly found it all a little bit boring and gave up before the 200 page mark. In the process of sky plusing the re run of the series and will hopefully find it a bot more entertaining watching it instead of reading it.

Currently reading Andrew Marr's " A History of Modern Britain"

Tried to read the Game of Thrones book that others raved about, really wanted to enjoy it, but frankly found it all a little bit boring and gave up before the 200 page mark. In the process of sky plusing the re run of the series and will hopefully find it a bot more entertaining watching it instead of reading it.

I found it a little laborious to read as well when i started a game of thrones as well Al.  Watching a few episodes of the series really helped put faces to names and when i went back to the book i devoured it in less than two days.

Crikey months and months since I'vep osted about what I either am or have read.

Far too many have come and gone to possibly list them all.

Will however pick out one that I can seriously recommend and that is "I'm Not Really Here, A Life Of Two Halves" by Paul Lake.

Lake was Manchester born and bred, signed for Man City as a fifteen year old, was captain by the time he was twenty one, selcted for the Engerlund 1990 World Cup training squad, and although he didn't make the final squad was already identified as a future Engerlund captain. Excellent read, despite McMoist and Durrant getting a mention as they were at Lilleshall at the same time. His career was over almost as quickly as it started, but after years of torment and depression trained as a pyysiotherapist working for several clubs and is now back at Man City as Community Ambassador.

Currently reading Andrew Marr's " A History of Modern Britain"

Shame on you Al  :o

BTW your wife must only have read the Fifty Shades books for the sex bits cause the plot is dull as fuck  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

1841155802.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Riveting stuff.

Recently finished Barca: The Making Of The Greatest Team In The World by Graham Hunter. I would highly recommend it, couldn't put it doon! Goes into depth about the bad times at Barca and how Johann Cruyff revolutionised the whole club, from the youth set-up right to the first team. Also has bits on each of the first team and recalls how close Iniesta and Messi were to going on loan to The Team Formerly Known As Rangers. A very good read and one which I would say to any football fan to read.

Now reading -  inverting-the-pyramid-a-history-of-football-tactics.jpg

Enjoying it so far.

Recently finished Barca: The Making Of The Greatest Team In The World by Graham Hunter. I would highly recommend it, couldn't put it doon! Goes into depth about the bad times at Barca and how Johann Cruyff revolutionised the whole club, from the youth set-up right to the first team. Also has bits on each of the first team and recalls how close Iniesta and Messi were to going on loan to The Team Formerly Known As Rangers. A very good read and one which I would say to any football fan to read.

Totally agree, I thought it was a great read.

Now reading -  inverting-the-pyramid-a-history-of-football-tactics.jpg

Is that the one with the forward by Jimmy Calderwood?

Just finished 'Tony Dungy: A Quiet Strength'  A pretty inspirational guy who survived and won in the NFL despite being quiet and laid back.  1st black coach to win the NFL seemingly never shouted at anyone in his life, good story if a little thick on religious rhetoric.

Also just finished Skag Boys - Irvine Welsh, which i thought was pretty decent but don't beleive it was 'just lying around' and had been written much more recently.

Read the latest Stuart Macbride but wasn't overly impressed

• 3 weeks later...

I found it a little laborious to read as well when i started a game of thrones as well Al.  Watching a few episodes of the series really helped put faces to names and when i went back to the book i devoured it in less than two days.

Just watched the first season DVD and frankly you guys are bang on....it was fucking superb  :thumbsup:

Away to start reading the second book as soon as I've finished the one I'm currently reading

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was reading Jonathan Wilson's book on the history of tactics in football but I'm afraid I just couldn't get into it. Whilst it was interesting enough, I just found it quite repetitive. I'll maybe leave it for a while and go back to it at a later date. So now, I'm halfway through -

fm-stole-my-life-large.jpg

Quite enjoyable so far. Goes into how it was developed, how the players stats are researched, interviews with researchers, stories by players of the game and interviews with some CM/FM hall of famers including Mark Kerr  >:D >:D>:D

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe worth a read:

http://afcheritage.bigcartel.com/product/the-aberdeen-men-can-t-play-football

300.jpg

Think you know everything about football in Aberdeen? Well, not until you’ve read this book.

Have you heard, for instance, that Sheffield United, the English Champions, were humiliated in Torry; that Scotland twice played an Aberdeen select at the Chanonry in Old Aberdeen; or that the first floodlit game in the city was played at Kittybrewster in the late 19th Century to raise funds for the family of a player who had passed away as a result of an accident during a match, but despite the charitable aspect of the game, hundreds of fans sneaked over the boundary walls under cover of darkness to avoid paying? You can also read about the Aberdeen player who almost died after being knifed in a drunken brawl with a sailor, and the other prominent local player who was jailed for assaulting a water bailiff who caught him poaching salmon in the Don. This and much more is included in this 350 page book, which includes 132 illustrations and masses of fascinating statistics.

It’s the story, told in detail for the first time, of the original Aberdeen FC, Orion FC and Victoria United FC who merged in 1903 to form the club we know today. The book also reveals the true story about Bon Accord FC, a club which went down in football folklore following its world record 36-0 defeat by Arbroath in the Scottish Cup.