Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Just finished " The Angels Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Really enjoyed it, already read "The Shadow Of The Wind" hope his others are translated from Spanish also

Perfect I just bought that last weekend so I may read it next after I finish the last Millennium book tonight. I loved The Shadow of the Wind  :thumbsup:

Went to see The Girl Who Played With Fire at the pics this afternoon - pretty good adaptation of the book  tho not nearly as exciting as the first one

• 2 weeks later...

David Peace.

I've read the Red Riding books, and The Damned United.  Are any of his other books any good?

I read the four of them earlier this year, I found them pretty compulsive.  1980 in my opinion being the best of the four.  They only made three of them for the TV adaptation which was strange.  Casting was very good for it though.

I then went on to read Peace's GB84 which is a good read but the narrative a little bit cumbersome in places.  Story surrounds three characters during the most intense time of the miner's strike.  One is a hitman, one is an MI5 agent masquerading as a govt chauffeur and one is the treasurer for the NUM.

I considered getting his Tokyo: Year Zero, but I decided not to bother.

Sky 1 showing a TV adaptation of one of the Mark Billingham D.I. Thorne series of books "Sleepyhead" this week. The books are excellent so here's hoping the TV series as good.

i've read them all TF. Was saying to the missus on holiday this year that they could make good tv.

Looks like I was right then ;)

Sadly only find the time to read books when I'm away on holiday, when in 2 weeks I read 6 to 7 books.

Love Dan Brown, read all his previous 4 books and have bought 'Lost Symbol' for next holiday in January.

What would you all recommend? Love psychological thrillers/crime type books.

Lost Symbol is a good book. I like the Ian Rankin Rebus  books.

Started reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller recently. Quite a bizarre read so far, but I'm about 1/2 through and getting into it. Anyone else read it?

One of my favourite books.  Superb, hilarious read, although I can understand it may take a bit of getting into.

Currently readin Stewart Lee's book which is essentially the transcriptions of three of his shows that were recorded for DVD release annotated to give added context and comment along with added background on the time in the 90s where he disappeared from view.  Interesting read so far, especially the insight into the Alternative comedy scene in the 90s.

One of my favourite comedians so I'm biased but already found my self laughing out loud on several occassions and really interesting read.

Also working my way through a William Boyd book, "Ordinary Thunderstorms" I'd picked up randomly in Waterstones which so far is quite intriguing. 

One of my favourite books.  Superb, hilarious read, although I can understand it may take a bit of getting into.

Currently readin Stewart Lee's book which is essentially the transcriptions of three of his shows that were recorded for DVD release annotated to give added context and comment along with added background on the time in the 90s where he disappeared from view.  Interesting read so far, especially the insight into the Alternative comedy scene in the 90s.

One of my favourite comedians so I'm biased but already found my self laughing out loud on several occassions and really interesting read.

Also working my way through a William Boyd book, "Ordinary Thunderstorms" I'd picked up randomly in Waterstones which so far is quite intriguing.

I'm determined to stick at it. Everyone I know that has actually finished it said it was a great book.

I finished Ordinary Thunderstorms a while back. Very good read and quite amusing in what levels Adam Kindred goes to to survive.

Just started "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet, brought back from the US to read on the plane and just never did.

Now I see there's a TV adaptation of it on next Saturday, so, do I read the book first, or do I wait and hope I might actually have TV by then?

Anyone read the book, seen the TV version elsewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started The Snowman by Jo Nesbo - set in Norway and being compared to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I'll let you Stieg Larsson fans know if it is any good  :thumbsup:

Nothing like the Millennium trilogy other than being set in a Scandinavian country - found the characters and plot hard to follow at times

Gonna reread Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows again now - just in time for the film  :thumbsup:

Reading "Stamping Grounds" by Charlie Connolly. He follows Liechenstein through the 2002 World Cup qualification campaign. I like this type of book, so anticipating good things.

Sounds a wee bit like Pointless by Jeff Connor, where East Stirlingshire are followed for a season. I found that quite enjoyable.

Sky 1 showing a TV adaptation of one of the Mark Billingham D.I. Thorne series of books "Sleepyhead" this week. The books are excellent so here's hoping the TV series as good.

It's probably less than a year since I read the book but am I wrong in thinking that it was altered completely for the telly?? Five minutes in to the final part last night and the wife pipes up "I think I know who did it" only then did I think "I'm not even sure we've been introduced to the character that did do it."

It's probably less than a year since I read the book but am I wrong in thinking that it was altered completely for the telly?? Five minutes in to the final part last night and the wife pipes up "I think I know who did it" only then did I think "I'm not even sure we've been introduced to the character that did do it."

Nae sure Baggy, I read it when it first came out about five/six year ago and frankly couldn't remember most of it :-[