Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Tuesday Press Conference

Kowalski

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC SCotland were reporting tonight that the press conference for Tuesday is a regular weekly meeting with Jimmy C and the media.

And the announcement will be that a benefit match has been arranged for the Gothenborg team to coniside with the 25th year anniversary

This is where the hacks need to earn there crust and find out whats going on.

I'm not always tempted to post a rant here but today I'll make an exception....

Firstly I know only as much as you guys - that it looks as though three of our first picks will be offski. Hart and Nicholson during the window and Clark at the end of the season. Diamond might stay and JC wont sign a new deal unless the AFC directors are prepared to 'match his ambition' - that's give him some cash to strengthen his squad.

If Clark is to go then I for one will be first in the queue to wave him cheerio and wish him all the best at Plymouth. He's been a loyal servant to the Dons but his performances this season haven't been great and in my opinion wont be missed hugely (bold to prevent those of you who may wish to tell me I'm speaking p*sh).

On the other hand if (as seems likely) Hart and Nicholson are off too, then they will be hugely missed. Hart, despite the odd dip in form has been Mr Consistent this season and we're a far more potent attacking threat with him at right back as, unlike others, he does seem willing to take a gamble, get forward and deliver the odd decent cross. How many others do similarly?? Not many.

Nicholson too has been one of our better performers. He has especially blossomed when left to get on with it in the middle of the park minus Severin. He's also contributed his fair share of goals too when it's seemed almost impossible for our strikers to do likewise (with the exception of Lee Miller in recent weeks). He's the only player who's shown an ounce of creativity so again he'll be missed and wont be easily replaced in a transfer window when you have the grand total of diddly squat pounds to spend....

Which leads me to my main point (aye there is one honest).

Right now we're faced with the prospect of losing Michael Hart, Barry Nicholson, Chris Clark and possibly Zander Diamond due to unacceptable terms on offer. In addition Steve Lovell, Lee Miller, Derek Soutar and Richie Byrne (that I know of) are out of contract in the summer and can speak to other clubs now should they wish. None have entered into contract talks and no offers appear to be forthcoming at this time. Also theres every possibility that Jimmy and Co will walk away quoting that famous managers maxim that he's taken the club as far as he can blah blah blah....

Kind of begs the question - what club or business allows itself to get into a situation where the majority of its first team assets are out of contract at the same time? Even allowing for this, what club then dithers to such an extent that there's a real possibility that most will move on to pastures new. Surely this is just crass ineptitude on the part of Messrs Milne, Fraser and dare I say it Miller too!!

So best case scenario - Zander stays, JC gets cash to strengthen and some others out of contract decide to stay.

Worst case - We lose 7 first team regulars between now and the end of the season, JC walks and we fade away to end of season mediocrity.

The next few days wont only define our season, it could well prove to define the next few years of Aberdeen Football Club.

I for one am not an optimistic ST holder.

Good post.

Only thing I'd like to challenge (for want of a better word as I'm not actually disagreeing in any way or trying to pick a fight) is that up until a week or so ago, we all thought they'd be happy to sign up with the prospect of European football, year-on-year improvements at the club and decent cup runs.

If you work for a company doing contract work, the company is doing well and the market is busy, then the last thing in your mind is to move elsewhere.  Of course if you've been offered more money then you'll have to weigh up your options but if you enjoy the working environment it could be enough to keep you.  The only other reason you'd want to leave is if you're unhappy there and other than Langfield who has came good, there's only Lovell I see falling into that bracket.

Having been in the position of my contract running it's course a good few times, I can't think of one time that I asked about a renewal until a month before it was due to run.  I was quite happy for them to come talk to me about it.  However, if the market was in shit-state then I'd be noising them up to see where I stand and to see if I should be looking for other companies to work for.

I'm sad to say it, but I think JC is offski.

I'm not always tempted to post a rant here but today I'll make an exception....

Firstly I know only as much as you guys - that it looks as though three of our first picks will be offski. Hart and Nicholson during the window and Clark at the end of the season. Diamond might stay and JC wont sign a new deal unless the AFC directors are prepared to 'match his ambition' - that's give him some cash to strengthen his squad.

If Clark is to go then I for one will be first in the queue to wave him cheerio and wish him all the best at Plymouth. He's been a loyal servant to the Dons but his performances this season haven't been great and in my opinion wont be missed hugely (bold to prevent those of you who may wish to tell me I'm speaking p*sh).

On the other hand if (as seems likely) Hart and Nicholson are off too, then they will be hugely missed. Hart, despite the odd dip in form has been Mr Consistent this season and we're a far more potent attacking threat with him at right back as, unlike others, he does seem willing to take a gamble, get forward and deliver the odd decent cross. How many others do similarly?? Not many.

Nicholson too has been one of our better performers. He has especially blossomed when left to get on with it in the middle of the park minus Severin. He's also contributed his fair share of goals too when it's seemed almost impossible for our strikers to do likewise (with the exception of Lee Miller in recent weeks). He's the only player who's shown an ounce of creativity so again he'll be missed and wont be easily replaced in a transfer window when you have the grand total of diddly squat pounds to spend....

Which leads me to my main point (aye there is one honest).

Right now we're faced with the prospect of losing Michael Hart, Barry Nicholson, Chris Clark and possibly Zander Diamond due to unacceptable terms on offer. In addition Steve Lovell, Lee Miller, Derek Soutar and Richie Byrne (that I know of) are out of contract in the summer and can speak to other clubs now should they wish. None have entered into contract talks and no offers appear to be forthcoming at this time. Also theres every possibility that Jimmy and Co will walk away quoting that famous managers maxim that he's taken the club as far as he can blah blah blah....

Kind of begs the question - what club or business allows itself to get into a situation where the majority of its first team assets are out of contract at the same time? Even allowing for this, what club then dithers to such an extent that there's a real possibility that most will move on to pastures new. Surely this is just crass ineptitude on the part of Messrs Milne, Fraser and dare I say it Miller too!!

So best case scenario - Zander stays, JC gets cash to strengthen and some others out of contract decide to stay.

Worst case - We lose 7 first team regulars between now and the end of the season, JC walks and we fade away to end of season mediocrity.

The next few days wont only define our season, it could well prove to define the next few years of Aberdeen Football Club.

I for one am not an optimistic ST holder.

Agree strongly with all of this good post

I think somebody said it in the Caldwood stalemate post - if we can survive Fergie farking off then we can sure to hell survive Calderwood jacking it. Calderwood is a competent manager; he is certainly no management genius. Granted it is early days but Motherwell have proven that there are decent managers who can get a team playing good attacking football on a budget of next to feck all. IMHO my worry is that the press conference reveals that Jimmy is staying on.

Reports this morning seem to be suggesting that the press conference called today is just the normal Tuesday event, and the BBC blew it all out of proportion.

And do you expect the hacks to turn up and ask about the injury situation for the weekend then go home?

I've seen this situation coming since 2006.  Knowing that a large chunk of the team would be out of contract at the same time was always going to cause problems.  As has been said already, fingers have to be pointed at the board and Willie for allowing this to happen.

Reports this morning seem to be suggesting that the press conference called today is just the normal Tuesday event, and the BBC blew it all out of proportion.

Apparently there is a special press conference today, but it is set up to announce the plans for the 25th anniversary of Gothenburg.

We can't afford to have this drag on much longer.  I wonder if this has been playing on the teams mind fairly heavily over the last few games. Certainly Hart and Nicholson havenae been their usual selves recently (Clark is always shit and zander is always zander).

I would like to see the press really push JC on his contract rather than just accept all this bullshit about budgets, players leaving, rebuilding etc.  My feeling is that if he wanted to stay he would have signed by now.  He may well still sign, but this will probably have as much to do with the lack of interest in him from down south as with his ambition and desire to take afc onwards from here

I think Clark and Hart are very replacable, and Nicholson isnt the greatest player but we will miss him.

However, is clark is wanting 4-5K a week then i would let him leave. I would offer Nicholson more money because i feel he brings more to the team.

But why the hell is Clark getting offered a contract before Miller, he is coming good and looking like he is a key player in the team, and we havnt even offered him a deal!

Miller, he is coming good and looking like he is a key player in the team, and we havnt even offered him a deal!

Miller isn't coming good, he's doing the same he's always done, only sometimes the tactics work but most of the time they don't.  But I'd hazard a guess to suggest that he hasn't been offered improved terms yet because he is possibly the highest paid player at AFC and to improve on that further isn't at all justified given what little extra he really offers the team.

As Penfold said, its about Gothenburg anniversary celebrations!

FANS GET CHANCE TO DINE WITH 1983 SIDE

12:00 - 08 January 2008

The Dons are set to play a bumper testimonial match in honour of their greatest team.

A press conference was set to be held today confirming details of how fans can help celebrate the 25th anniversary of their European Cup Winners' Cup triumph in Gothenburg.

Details were being kept under wraps until the conference.

But they are expected to include a series of dinners in Aberdeen, including one on May 11 that would give the Red Army the chance to dine with the 1983 side.

The showpiece is expected to be a game at Pittodrie against as yet unconfirmed opponents, although Manchester United have been approached.

John Hewitt said: "It will be great to see some of the other lads because we don't meet up so often nowadays.

"We had a fantastic time when the city allowed us to parade down Union Street as part of the club's centenary celebtrations five years ago.

"But this is likely to be the last time we do anything major in relation to our win over Real Madrid in Gothenburg."

Maybe he is playing better because his contract is coming up, however, I think he has shown recently that he is a good player, the type we need at the club, and without wanting to sound like millertime, i think he is our best striker now. And im not saying we should offer him improved terms, but at least offer him some kind of contract before he starts talking to other clubs which he may have already done.

As Penfold said, its about Gothenburg anniversary celebrations!

I'm all for celebrating our greatest achievement ever,  but FFS, it's about time we got a grip on reality and tried to figure out a way to maybe get close to winning another trophy sometime soon.

I'd rather be buying a Cup Final ticket that a seat next to John Hewitt at the Ashvale or wherever they're planning on holding these dinners.