Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Goals

Despite a great season overall, this season has seen use fail to convert far too many great chances.

We've dominated games for huge spells but regularly have struggled to edge out 1-0 wins. Now, it's fantastic we've managed to see out a lot of 1-0 wins, in the past we'd lose more than our fair share of games we've bossed so it's certainly progress, but, to kick on again, we really need to be putting games out of sight, brining in a bit more of a fear factor too. Hard to do, no question, especially when teams come and play for a point, but goals are where it's at.

One positive is just home many players are capable of weighing in, though, I think McGinn, Hayes and Jack need to become more prolific next year.

Rooney - 18

Pawlett - 6

Goodwillie - 6

McGinn - 5

Hayes - 3

Jack - 3

Taylor - 3

Logan - 3

Smith - 2

Considine - 2

Reynolds - 2

Low - 1

Expect McLean will bang in a few next year but I'd still like another striker and another wide player in.

Aye, deliberately league goals only as a bunch of goals vs yir Rigas or yir East Fifes can skew things a bit.

I think we do create a lot of chances but to an extent we've been unlucky. McGinn alone must have hit the woodwork a dozen times this season. We've also had a few perfectly good goals chopped off by idiot officials.

Assuming we stick with 4-2-3-1 next season, it will be interesting to see where McLean fits in now that Jack's future is confirmed for the short term.

I can honestly say for the first time in memory that I don't think creatinging chances has been a problem. But we have been guilty of wasting them. Shankland comes to mind. He's missed an absolute sitter or two. Maybe it'll just click for him once he gets his first but we don't need passengers in the team and right now that's what he is. He's not the only one guilty of missing chances of course. We definitely need to be more clinical next season.

Agreed tyrant, complacency in front of goal has been a big problem this season. That said I do have some sympathy with the original point, we can be a bit of a one trick pony attacking from the flanks. That we've Iacked true guile since jess left is still an accurate statement imo, I see eremenko is leaving killie, worth a look maybe.

If McGinn would stop hitting the f'n post, that'd help. I reckon he'd be in double figures for woodwork this season. Even half of those converted would have resulted in more game time for Shankland/Smith and perhaps their stats would read a bit better. The number of times we should have been able to give those two a longer run out based on our game domination is significant; we could have killed off several games within the hour that ended 1-0, or 2-0 with a late goal.

Ooooft! We don't half rely on Rooney for the goals.

That's a bit worrying to be truthful...

I think we've always known this, probably why a second striker that can score goals is absolutely imperative!  That said, I also think our midfield should be chipping with a few more goals there too.  I really hope Pee Paw gets his finger out next season, has been completely anonymous most of the times he's played this season.

Goodwillie scored 6 goals in the league :o  If the guy could use his brain a little more he could have been a very good player.

Think a lot of the problem with lack of goals is how we play and we don't really have a plan b when our system doesn't work.  We do a lot of good stuff on the pitch in the final 3rd, but never usually have anyone available to finish it off, in the absence of Rooney, who does more than his fair share fo the team.  A midfielder, such as Kenny MacLean, is just the ideal person to capitalise within our system, but I really feel that for a lot of games we should be capable of aving two up front and should be able to switch around our midfield players to accommodate this, but most times I have seen us with two up front we don't look very good.

Goodwillie scored 6 goals in the league :o  If the guy could use his brain a little more he could have been a very good player.

I don't think lack of (football) intelligence is DG's issue at all. It's the fact there is absolutely no striker's instinct there at all. He wants 3 touches where Rooney would have had the ball in the net in one.