Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Derek McInnes

BigAl

I'm pointing out that nobody really knows the reason for this slump and that it is useful to remember the distinction between facts and opinions in situations like these.

I agree with that.

Interesting to see press coverage today of a rumoured dressing room bust up, days before we play Celtic, at a time where their confirmed bust up resulted in a player requiring hospital treatment.

Also see the Logan departure story is back in the press, as it was days before we last played Celtic.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that.

Interesting to see press coverage today of a rumoured dressing room bust up, days before we play Celtic, at a time where their confirmed bust up resulted in a player requiring hospital treatment.

Also see the Logan departure story is back in the press, as it was days before we last played Celtic.

Hopefully it'll have the same effect as last time.

I agree with that.

Where was this? Didn't see anything, although I haven't really looked if I'm honest. The timing doesn't surprise me whatsoever. Standard.

After our initial run of wins we'd played almost double the competitive minutes of the likes of Hearts. That has to make a difference Surely?

And I'm not sure who's saying that our opinions don't count because we're not pros. I was half-heartedly trying to rationalise Deek's decisions. Only he can explain his thought process behind these tactical choices.

I would suggest that would be when we're about to hit peak fitness.

Fair enough, but you did say that we're not qualified to comment

No I am not.

I'm pointing out that nobody really knows the reason for this slump and that it is useful to remember the distinction between facts and opinions in situations like these.

You claim it's a fact that he's incompetent. So why shouldn't we seek to replace him? Why shouldn't we seek to improve upon mediocrity and incompetence?

You claim it's a fact that he's incompetent. So why shouldn't we seek to replace him? Why shouldn't we seek to improve upon mediocrity and incompetence?

Incredibly I'll stick up for Rocket here... he didnt claim it was a fact McInnes is incompetent, only that it would be a fact if it's proved that he doesnt know why things are so bad or how to fix it.

There is no sticking up to be had. There are words. They get interpreted.

Some are so bad at expressing themselves, they get interpreted in opposite ways.

Some are so bad at reading-  due to critical thinking or attention-to-detail defects often but mostly a lack of empathy, not being able to see past their own stuck maps of reference - that the words get interpreted wrongly.

And then there are sick fucks like me who use ISD's all the time.

Idiot Sifting Devices always catch idiots.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-01%20at%2016.01.31.png

Here's the starting defence this season.

No obvious explanation before and after Easter Road.

Shinnie has played every game but not in the back four for 4 of the last 6 and Reynolds is back of course.

Didn't realise Quinn had played so little but nothing here to implicate McInnes so it must be something else, although I can't understand why we wouldn't play Shinnie at LB all the time.

That's the starting defence of course. Consi came off halfway through the first half yesterday and Logan replaced Reynolds at HT at Ross County.

Edit: Actually, 4 different combinations in the first 8 games.

1. 4 x the same for 4 consecutive games.

2. Same for DUFC and Hearts

3. Quinn for Consi v. Killie

4. McLaughlin for Logan v. Hamilton.

In the last 5 games, 5 different starting defences.

In my opinion, our best defence is one of the two played against Motherwell.

Straight pick between Reynolds and Considine to partner Taylor.

If any of these three go off the boil, drop them for the other two.

Have to play Logan and Shinnie at the back.

Shinnie Reynolds Quinn Logan.

Get Taylor to fuck. Pretty poor footballer, loses the ball far too readily.

Shinnie Reynolds Quinn Logan.

Get Taylor to fuck. Pretty poor footballer, loses the ball far too readily.

Exactly the back line id pick too, couldn't agree more about Taylor as well. He's a danger at attacking set pieces but he's a liability defensively far too often to be part of a first choice centre half partnership.

Perhaps not a comparator, but I listened to Radio 5 on Sunday morning and as we know Mourinho was lost the dressing room, one player appears to have been said that he would prefer to lose than win for Mourinho. Now if that can happen at Chelsea is there any reason to suggest there is not something toxic happening at Aberdeen. Saturday was gutless, spineless our captain is a supine , scared wee boy. He isnt a winner.

Exactly the back line id pick too, couldn't agree more about Taylor as well. He's a danger at attacking set pieces but he's a liability defensively far too often to be part of a first choice centre half partnership.

A back four that has not ever been picked by the manager.

Why haven't you expressed this opinion before? Taylor has been an ever-present.

Perhaps not a comparator, but I listened to Radio 5 on Sunday morning and as we know Mourinho was lost the dressing room, one player appears to have been said that he would prefer to lose than win for Mourinho. Now if that can happen at Chelsea is there any reason to suggest there is not something toxic happening at Aberdeen. Saturday was gutless, spineless our captain is a supine , scared wee boy. He isnt a winner.

I don't know if Jose has lost the dressing room but it would surprise me if he had lost Terry, his captain for many years. For this reason. Terry lost his legs years ago. Mourinho's loyalty to him is blind, the biggest mistake of his career in my opinion and I would expect "jay tee" to repay that loyalty. He must know himself he's way past it as he was once an excellent centre half.

The biggest contributing reason for losing the dressing room - if indeed he has and given the awful start to their season it certainly looks like it - would be his personality. He just grates after continuous exposure. Specifically, his self-belief has spilled into self-delusion which manifests itself in narcissism of such a gigantic proportion, an arrogance that is overwhelming and a complete absence of humility. All this means he's just not likeable any more and indeed for the mousey, the blousey and the unsuccessful frustrated loser, he never was.

This is a classic tall poppy but one that cut himself down. When someone is special, when they taste success and achieve exceptional things, particularly when they are innovating and ploughing a lone furrow and the rewards and riches start coming, it takes strength and humility not to shove it in others faces. He is a special one but his declaration that he was at the start was as prophetic as it was foolish. The incident with the attractive physio was his karma shift, his demise thereafter inevitable. Fucking arse. Waste of talent. Lost by egocentricity.

A back four that has not ever been picked by the manager.

Why haven't you expressed this opinion before? Taylor has been an ever-present.

I've expressed that numerous times before, both on here and in person.

It's got to be Quinn and Reynolds at the back from now on, no excusing that challenge. Madness

That would be my preferred partnership anyway, Quinn has looked solid any time I've seen him and I can imagine his game would compliment Reynolds nicely.

I'd hazard a guess that the main reason that particular back 4 hasn't been picked yet is due to the unavailability of Reynolds early in the season.  If it isn't picked soon I'd be surprised and disappointed.

I've expressed that numerous times before, both on here and in person.

I'd hazard a guess that the main reason that particular back 4 hasn't been picked yet is due to the unavailability of Reynolds early in the season.  If it isn't picked soon I'd be surprised.

I'm surprised I missed you saying this. On here of course rather than in person.

I would also be surprised if Taylor doesn't get dropped. He never convinced me at the start, a total bombscare but he grew into himself and became a footballer who despite his ungainliness, got a good job done.

But what is the real reason, not just for his slump but the whole team?

Until that is identified, established and eliminated, AFC are going nowhere.

It could be Milne karma underpinning this, with a McInnes interpersonal fuck up causing the present unrest.

There is no sticking up to be had. There are words. They get interpreted.

Some are so bad at expressing themselves, they get interpreted in opposite ways.

Some are so bad at reading-  due to critical thinking or attention-to-detail defects often but mostly a lack of empathy, not being able to see past their own stuck maps of reference - that the words get interpreted wrongly.

And then there are sick fucks like me who use ISD's all the time.

Idiot Sifting Devices always catch idiots.

So are you saying that McInnes should be sacked?  :wave:

Couple of things. First, Rocket, your stats have Quinn not playing against the Tim. I thought he started? He certainly played - given he scored - and I was sure we'd started with the back 5 of Logan, Taylor, Quinn Considine, Hayes?

Anyway, that aside, I think the stats show that in general the back four have been not mucked about too much other than in the Hibs game, where bad substitutions after injury were an issue.

I have noticed however that we change our midfield nearly every week, and during games, which does seem to be causing problems. We had absolutely zero cover for our defence against St Johnstone and for large parts of the Motherwell game. I think that inconsistency is really affecting us, and Jack in particular. Whilst his own game has gone to shite, it's not being helped by the lack of a good defensive partner. In the last few games he's tried Flood, Shinnie, McLean and Hayes, and that lack of a permanent option seems to be pretty detrimental. I think McInnes needs to choose his preferred option and stick with it for a few weeks. Jack, in my opinion, is too weak to be captain and even too weak to organise his fellow midfielders. He needs to stick to the game he is very good at. Ball retention and breaking down attacks by slowing them down as a result of being in the right place. In order to do that, there needs to be few surprises as to where your team mates are going to be.

I predict McInnes will turn it around, and we'll win all our games in November....

The situation with Jack frustrates me. There are games when he strolls through them and looks like a limousine of a player. In other games he is invisible. I do think he performs better with Shinnie alongside him. I remember the Celtic game at Pittodrie. First half he was invisible. In the second he appeared to be dropping much deeper and was very good, now Mcinnes made a few positional tweaks, which maybe helped, but it summed up the paradox he is as a player.

You're right. Quinn started v. Celtic. I copied and pasted or plotted the data wrong.

Will revisit when get the chance. Sorry.

EDIT: I plotted it right but must have copied and pasted wrong.

Which still makes it 4 combinations in the first 8 games, 3, 3, 1, 1 instead of 4, 2, 1, 1.

Just thought it was a useful exercise to do but having suggested that another do it, thought it was lazy not to do it myself, and then make a pigs ear of it. Doh!

I always feel that even when he plays very well, Jack plays within himself. I think he could drive us on much more than he does. He's certainly got the ability to do it. It may well be manager's instructions which limit this, but I don't see why the manager wouldn't want him doing this for us at the right times.