Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

sam gallagher

Good stuff, a big whoor, much required. I've said for a good few years now (and it hasn't been that bad for a couple of years) that at this time of year we need some added height up front. Our pitch was virtually unplayable against ICT and Partick, a target man would have cut out much of the requirement (although I wouldn't trust Taylor to hit a target man anyway). I think this year will be a lot worse than the last couple for our pitches, and I can see the long ball being useful. Perhaps my imagination, but Calderwood always seemed to get a decent return at this time of year! The Killie to ICT/Partick games were like night and day. Much as I hate the likes of Hamilton's pitch, I do think a Killie/Falkirk style pitch wouldn't be a bad investment for many of the teams in the SPL, including us. It was obvious against ICT that Hayes and McGinn's first touch was like gouging a golf ball out of the rough. Given their pace over ten yards is one of both their best attributes, they were both hindered by the extra effort required on the shitey surface. Perhaps the option of allowing them to make their runs without the ball, rather than with, by going direct and getting flick-ons will get them the upper hand again. Pawlett could be useful in that too, and it'd be really intriguing to see how Rooney works off a big target man. With the pitches in the state they are, I don't think we can be too righteous in trying to play the perfect passing game. Hopefully the loon winna be pish.

Don't know much about this lad, and probably shouldn't prejudge BUT a quick look at his career stats doesn't fill me with great excitement......2 goals in 30 games  ::)

If we get genuinely want him and get him I'll be delighted to be proved wrong and eat some humble pie

Don't know much about this lad, and probably shouldn't prejudge BUT a quick look at his career stats doesn't fill me with great excitement......2 goals in 30 games  ::)

If we get genuinely want him and get him I'll be delighted to be proved wrong and eat some humble pie

That's pretty much the same record as Goodwillie. Do we really need two non-goalscoring forwards...?

It's interesting SFC have recalled him for lack of game time, you don't see that happen too often.  You could speculate  it indicates they think he could be a player.  Also it would have been good  to have a route 1 striker option the past couple of games it has to be said.  Against partick in particular as they were a very tall and physical (though not dirty) side.  With Jack out a CM has to be the first order of business in my eyes though. 

He doesn't have a hugely impressive record but I guess based on the clips of him floating around he would seem to offer something different.  Based on how hush hush McInnes' signings have been so far though I'd be a little surprised if there's anything in this.

You've got to think that it either spells the end for one of the strikers at the club though (Goodwillie?) or pushes our own youngsters further down the pecking order.

It's interesting SFC have recalled him for lack of game time, you don't see that happen too often.  You could speculate  it indicates they think he could be a player. 

You could also speculate that they're really not sure about him and that's why they need to see him in competitive action at a senior level.

Who/When was the last striker worthy of the name to come through our youth system? Jess & Booth?

You could also speculate that they're really not sure about him and that's why they need to see him in competitive action at a senior level.

Who/When was the last striker worthy of the name to come through our youth system? Jess & Booth?

I'm guessing it probably would have been, which is pretty depressing really.

We seem to be reasonably good at producing defenders and the odd promising midfielder but our record at developing strikers through our youth system is embarrassing.

I'm guessing it probably would have been, which is pretty depressing really.

We seem to be reasonably good at producing defenders and the odd promising midfielder but our record at developing strikers through our youth system is embarrassing.

Strikers and keepers.  Watt and Stillie dropped off a cliff after promising starts, last one of note is surely Leighton, the best part of 40 years ago. Ridiculous.

Strikers and keepers.  Watt and Stillie dropped off a cliff after promising starts, last one of note is surely Leighton, the best part of 40 years ago. Ridiculous.

That's true, was Esson a youth product as well? I can't remember but we can probably group him in with Watt & Stillie.

Aye, Esson was our last youth team 'keeper to make the break through, but was pish.

Can't believe Booth was our last striker to come through. Although the record in Scotland outside the scum in general isn't that great I don't suppose. Hibs had Fletcher, O'Connor and Riardon; Killie had Boyd and Naismith; Motherwell McFadden; Dundee Griffiths; Utd Goodwillie and Russell. Trying to think of others and can't. Most of our more successful strikers seem to be imported, or arrive after being ditched by the scum like McCormack. Maybe we're just not very good at breeding them in this country.

Aye, Esson was our last youth team 'keeper to make the break through, but was pish.

Can't believe Booth was our last striker to come through. Although the record in Scotland outside the scum in general isn't that great I don't suppose. Hibs had Fletcher, O'Connor and Riardon; Killie had Boyd and Naismith; Motherwell McFadden; Dundee Griffiths; Utd Goodwillie and Russell. Trying to think of others and can't. Most of our more successful strikers seem to be imported, or arrive after being ditched by the scum like McCormack. Maybe we're just not very good at breeding them in this country.

That's a fairly impressive list of strikers there though, all of those have been brought through in the last 10 years or so... During which time we've produced mackie, maguire and not much else. If others can do it there's no reason we can't.

Bryan Gunn deserves a mention surely? (Unfortunately he doesnt help the modern records)

You're right Tom, Gunn was a very good keeper, unfortunate for him that he had Leighton to compete with.

On the strikers, there wasn't a huge amount coming through before Jess & Booth. Paul Wright would have been the last one before them until he was effectively sacked for being fat, Hewitt and Black before him. Not bad I suppose over a ten year period, maybe points to strikers having 'it' rather than 'it' being coached but would still say that the return we've had in the intervening years is worrying.

Would it not make more sense to move Nuttall up or recall Shankland??

The problem with taking a striker in on loan is will he get a game before Rooney as the system we favour only uses one up front.

The lad has been recalled once already for lack of game time, would he see anymore at Aberdeen??

Would it not make more sense to move Nuttall up or recall Shankland??

The problem with taking a striker in on loan is will he get a game before Rooney as the system we favour only uses one up front.

The lad has been recalled once already for lack of game time, would he see anymore at Aberdeen??

Pretty much agree with this.

Would rather see us recall Shankland than get another loan player in.