Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Fermers v Dons 06/02

Jute

Saturday game at last. Just a pity we had to get emptied out the cup to get it. After last nights victory this game now gives us the chance to close the gap at the top to goal difference only. Really hope we do not shite this like we did in December when we had chances to go top as I do believe that this Celtic team will not respond well to the pressure of us being level with them. As long as no injuries from last night and Hayes manages not to lose any more fights with dogs would like to think McInnes will stick with the same winning team. Saints have a cash gate for North Stand with 500 tickets left for Dons fans and if these sell out they will open the Ormand Stand.  Last nights victory and first Saturday game in a good while should see us having a healthy support on Saturday.

In

Train then Pub in Perth

What ever stand I can get in.

Pub in Perth then train

2-0 Dons Rooney and McLean

Massive game, arguably a bigger test than the Celtic game as expectancy levels have increased again. Very poor record against them, but hopefully they've learnt from the earlier mistakes.

Out

Copenhagen

Somewhere in copenhagen chasing ebbe

Non-edinburgh globes party watching the rugby

1-0, rooney

Big game like, the fermers have a great record against us. Be interesting to see what team McInnes goes for. For all our success on Wednesday night, I'm not sure the Church, Rooney set-up worked. If he played a 4-4-2 then that'd be fine, but Rooney wide right just nullifies his game. He didn't really get into it until after Church went off and he moved central. So it's a decision of whether we play Rooney or Church for me, or a 4-4-2 with both of them. Whilst I thought Church worked hard against the Tims, I wasn't 100% convinced. I'd go for Rooney up front tomorrow (Church coming on earlier than our normal subs if possible), with Hayes left, McGinn right and Pawlett in behind. I expect him to go unchanged though.

Big game like, the fermers have a great record against us. Be interesting to see what team McInnes goes for. For all our success on Wednesday night, I'm not sure the Church, Rooney set-up worked. If he played a 4-4-2 then that'd be fine, but Rooney wide right just nullifies his game. He didn't really get into it until after Church went off and he moved central. So it's a decision of whether we play Rooney or Church for me, or a 4-4-2 with both of them. Whilst I thought Church worked hard against the Tims, I wasn't 100% convinced. I'd go for Rooney up front tomorrow (Church coming on earlier than our normal subs if possible), with Hayes left, McGinn right and Pawlett in behind. I expect him to go unchanged though.

Agree with you there Rico. Wasn't very impressed by Church but it's his debut and he'll need time to settle in. However, anything that moves Rooney wide just isn't a good thing for us.

The Red Final has an article about Rooney and his scoring prowess. He is the fourth quickest to hit 50 goals for the Dons, only Duncan Shearer, Drew Jarvie and Joe Harper are ahead of him (in that order), that alone tells you how lethal he is. Play him in his strongest position and more often than not he will score and more often than not, we'll take the points too.

This

I cannot understand McInnes' obsession with moving Rooney wide. He did it for Goodwillie and now for Church.

Ended up making that much harder than it should have been. Cruising at 4-1 but a combination of taking the foot off the gas, poor defending and goalkeeping allowed Saints to make the last few minutes very uncomfortable. However we did hold on a have now applied further pressure to a shakey Celtic side.

Ended up making that much harder than it should have been. Cruising at 4-1 but a combination of taking the foot off the gas, poor defending and goalkeeping allowed Saints to make the last few minutes very uncomfortable. However we did hold on a have now applied further pressure to a shakey Celtic side.

Totally. We have now conceded 8 goals in two games to Saints, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think 6 of them have come from corners.  Brown did nothing to win me over yesterday and the centre backs had a day to forget, Reynolds in particular but Taylor at their first was ridiculously bad. He (Reynolds) may well have been carrying a knock but it can't have been too serious if he was originally due to be on the bench and then started due to the Considine injury.

Pawlett and Smith got a big chance yesterday and neither took it. PP looked raging when he was coming off but he wasn't really entitled to be. McGinn and Storie made a big, positive difference to us.

Our top performers were Rooney, Hayes and McLean. KM got through a power of work in midfield, his passing was tidy and he was always showing for the ball, really important player for us now.

Good to go there and score 4 and come away with 3 points as St Johnstone have never been the easiest of opponents for us.

at 4-1 up though we really should not be conceding another two goals, I get the players were tired but it just goes to show what a lapse in concentration can do. 

Guess that was what I was alluding to. Poor defensive errors let them back into a game that they shouldn't have been anywhere near. Not sure Brown should have done better with the second I think it was. Even DM mentions it in his interview.

Derek McInnes praised the mental and physical strength shown by his Aberdeen players as they seized the chance to draw level with Celtic at the top of the Premiership.

A huge travelling Red Army celebrated a thrilling 4-3 victory against St Johnstone which extended their unbeaten run to a dozen games.

After following-up the midweek win against the reigning champions with three valuable points in Perth, Dons fans chanted “Glasgow Celtic, we’re coming for you.”

But when David Wotherspoon trimmed a first-half advantage secured by goals from Adam Rooney and Peter Pawlett, the Dons had to dig deep just days after a gruelling 90 minutes against the Hoops.

Substitute Niall McGinn and talisman Rooney scored to secure a 4-1 advantage but the Dons endured a late scare created by goals from Steven Anderson and Tam Scobbie in the closing stages.

“It was important to win because the script was written if we hadn’t. People would say they can go and beat Celtic but they go and drop points in the next one,” he said.

“Physically, we went toe-to-toe with one of the most competitive teams in the league on a heavy pitch on the back of the energy exerted on Wednesday.

“The players showed bundles of fighting spirit to get the job done. Sometimes that’s what’s required to keep winning.”

McInnes selected Peter Pawlett and Cammy Smith to inject freshness into his team, although Mark Reynolds had to step in for Andrew Considine at the last minute.

“Peter and Cammy came in with real energy. Considine’s injury in the warm-up didn’t help but we have found ways of digging out a result.

“He was jumping and came down and felt a twinge and it became clear he wasn’t going to be part of it.

“I think we deserved to win the game but it was tough, as we expected. The players deserve a lot of credit. Big hearts were needed to get the job done when a few of them were running on empty.

“There was a test for the younger lads like Smith and Craig Storie when he came on. He solidified the midfield area.

“McGinn was desperate to play his part and he brought quality to help us win the game.”

McInnes revealed his squad had been rewarded with two days off in advance of the build-up to the trip to face Inverness.

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright was frustrated by an error-strewn performance, branding all four goals conceded “horrendous”.

He said: “We’ve not had enough cleans sheets this season and it is down to individual errors. Individually they know who was to blame for the goals. It was so obvious.

“We have a huge emphasis on the squad. It is good enough to cope. We’ve got to stop giving teams cheap goals.