Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Aberdeen Mad

donsdaft

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only clicked into Mad on rare occasions but even now I don't seem to be having any issues with Adverts.

Is my Adblock software really that effective or is it only something that takes hold if you post regularly?

At home I am using the lap top through google chrome with adblock and I never have a problem with the adverts.  If I am at work and try and look in on AbMad I use my phone which hasn't any adblock software and is indeed a nightmare.  It takes ages to load, jumps about all over the place and at the very worst those "you have won an Iphone" intrusive adds pop up and vibrates the phone.  Every time you try and close it, it pops up again.  Just not worth the hassle.

I only clicked into Mad on rare occasions but even now I don't seem to be having any issues with Adverts.

Is my Adblock software really that effective or is it only something that takes hold if you post regularly?

Adblock Plus is indeed effective for 90% of the adverts/banners, but only if it is installed.  That raises a few issues.

The first is if you are using a machine where you don't have administrative rights to install extensions (eg. work, public terminal, someone else's machine), or a device for which it is not or only partially effective (some phones, tablets), then the ads are a nightmare.

Most regular users tend to have installed an adblocker as they know how crap the site is without one.  The second problem is not the regulars though, its the first time visitors or occasional browsers who are put off from joining, you can't assume they have all got ABP and so the site gains a poor reputation and atrophies as a result.

Thirdly, the basic principle of covering a community fan site in adverts to line one person's pockets is fairly dubious in itself.  I doubt anyone would object to sponsorship or donation-based funding to cover a site's costs, but AbMad is clearly out to make money for one individual.  Even then that would be fine (in a free market kind of way) if it provided a service above and beyond the "free" options, but it doesn't.

Aye, adblock of the laptop and pc at work gets rid of most of them.

The ipad is not so bad most of the time because you learn to slalom your war around them, althoughthe jumping around making you click on the wrong thing drives you nuts.

The phone however is almost unusable which is useless if you find yourself on your own in a pub etc.

I must say it is hard to see abmad dying like it appears to be as it is more a habit of login and straight there to see what news there is but now it is just a few posters trying to keep it alive swimming against the tide. A big shame for no apparent reason other than greed.

One huge positive is the excellent welcome we have received on this site which makes it all a lot easier. Thanks guys .... and gals?

Yes it is difficult.

Some great times on Abmad.

I suppose some of the lads just feel the need to be loyal, but loyal to who?

aye, loyalty is a 2 way thing and with Ed gone then there's mo reason to stick round.

Shame, but so be it. when the original afc chat site died then everyone regrouped and life went on. Abmad was great, used to be the place to get your info and gossip and everything else as well.

Maybe I just need to get more of a life and do shit instead on sitting in the computer.

The death of Abmad will please my boss.

Pity we cant get Pacman and Buc and a few of the others that are left to come over and try Donstalk out. Once you jump in and get settled it's as good if not better with none of the drawbacks.

I'll be happy enough if mad keeps on going, it's a descent enough site.  Pac has an account here, not sure about buc.

Is Kkong on here? He is a walking, breathing statistic machine and is brilliant with all the complicated europa stuff that I don't understand.  What about the stooge? His posts were usually bang on the money.

We having a Saturday night WYOWYN GB?

EDIT: Note to self - check in off-topic for Saturdays WYOWYN before asking for a Saturday WYOWYN

I'll be happy enough if mad keeps on going, it's a descent enough site.  Pac has an account here, not sure about buc.

Is Kkong on here? He is a walking, breathing statistic machine and is brilliant with all the complicated europa stuff that I don't understand.  What about the stooge? His posts were usually bang on the money.

We having a Saturday night WYOWYN GB?

EDIT: Note to self - check in off-topic for Saturdays WYOWYN before asking for a Saturday WYOWYN

Haha I was going to say I think one a day is enough!  :laughing:

Pity we cant get Pacman and Buc and a few of the others that are left to come over and try Donstalk out. Once you jump in and get settled it's as good if not better with none of the drawbacks.

Pleased you're enjoying the site mate :thumbsup: