Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Ireland Callups

OxfordDon

I really don't think Shinnie has much to complain about regarding not getting called up.

For a start he's a left back who never gets a game at left back, obviously through no fault of his own.

Then you've got the fact we've got Teirney, Robertson, Wallace all playing in the role that he doesn't get a game in.

I see the Scotland Sqaaad has just been announced....

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)

David Marshall (Hull City)

Defenders

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)

Gordon Greer (Blackburn Rovers)

Grant Hanley (Newcastle United)

Stephen Kingsley (Swansea City)

Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Callum Paterson (Hearts)

Lee Wallace (Rangers)

Midfielders

Ikechi Anya (Derby County)

Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Oliver Burke (Red Bull Leipzig)

Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)

James Forrest (Celtic)

James McArthur (Crystal Palace)

John McGinn (Hibernian)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Matt Ritchie (Newcastle United)

Robert Snodgrass (Hull City)

Forwards

Steven Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday)

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

Chris Martin (Derby County)

Steven Naismith (Norwich City)

Aberdeen taking over the Republic of Ireland squad again - Rooney, Hayes and Rogers called up to the squad for their WC qualifier against Austria.

Shinnie must be weeping into his rowies by now.

Chuffed to bits for Rooney and Hayes but can't really blame strachan (a rare occasion in itself) for not picking him as 1903_redz said. If he was playing in that position, like last season, i'd be livid for him.

On this logic he shouldn't have picked Mulgrew all those times. Regularly played a diff position for Scotland and Celtic. Don't agree.

What don't you agree with? That Shinnie can't expect to be called up or Mulgrew being picked to play a different position for Scotland from the one he played at the Manky Mob?

If it's Shinnie, would you seriously pick him to play left back when you've got Teirney, Robertson and Wallace all regularly playing there whereas he's not played there once this season?

In a normal squad I agree. However, Tierney and Robertson are injured. Shinnie provides a quality back up and should be in the England squad - play Wallace (although Shinnie is better) but the swansea boy doesn't play much as far as I know. Shinnie is fit, playing every week, and a leader. He deserves a squad place at least.

Shinnie's best position is Left Back. Obviously.

His manager hasn't seen fit to play him there.

So Strachan is excused for not picking him. Obviously.

Would love to take issue with this simply because Strachan's a cunt, but I can't really disagree on this occassion

I do disagree. But I agree Strachan is a cunt of a manager. If Tierney and Robertson are fit I understand but they're not and  he's going to the Swansea boy who doesn't play that often. I'd  rather we pick players who are on form and match fit by playing weekly. He knows Shinnie is fit, is a solid left back, and is a leader/strong personality. He's a personality that the squad benefits from. DM certainly hasn't helped Shinnie by playing him in midfield but, as I said before, can't help but think Shinnie has done something, perhaps when he was last in the squad, that pissed Strachan off.

I guess if Shinnie can't get even a callup with his two main rivals for LB out injured at the same time (and Wallace gets preference ffs), then he never will under the ginger dwarf.

I hope Deek didn't sell Aberdeen to him as a great way to increase his chances of being capped.

can't help but think Shinnie has done something, perhaps when he was last in the squad, that pissed Strachan off.

Personally, if i were looking for the root of a deeply embittered grudge against Aberdeen players from the Scotland staff, i'd look no further than MGoo.

I'd suggest, given the absence of Tierney and Robertson, and the inclusion of an injured midfielder, Shinnie has every right to feel aggrieved. His versatility to fill either role, and his competitive spirit and work rate (which we're all very aware of) has been overlooked once too often imo opinion.

My indifference for all things Scotland has been further strengthened today.