Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Cup final team selection

mondo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think DM's naturally cautious mindset will see an extra body in the middle - I wasn't at Inverness, was the line up closer to a 4-4-2?

Whatever line up he picks, I just hope he tells them to go for it. No point sitting back, we need to take the game to them and use the full width of the pitch to get the most out of Hayes in particular.

It wouldn't surprise me if Maddison is on the bench. I really hope he isn't though.

It wouldn't surprise me if Maddison is on the bench. I really hope he isn't though.

I would be surprised, very surprised. For three reasons;

1. It's simply insane not to select the best team available.

2. Only a fucking retard fails to learn from his previous mistakes.

3. The manager reads these boards and will do what he's told.

I think the fact that Maddison - on a booking - was removed against ICT suggests that he'll start against the Tims. I think the midfield of Jack, McLean and Maddison seems to be working, and I think we just have to go with that. I don't think that Celtic are that strong (physically) in centre midfield and I think that those 2 can match them on our day. Where Pawlett used to give Brown the run around in attacking midfield a few years back, I reckon Maddison will do the same. It'll be interesting to see if the ref will book him when the inevitable deliberate hack comes in early doors.

The alternative to Maddison is obviously Shinnie into midfield, McLean in behind Rooney and Taylor back in with Considine at left back. With Shinnie having a mare against the Tims last time he played left back, and Taylor getting a good but of game time against ICT, there is a worry he might choose this approach. Hopefully the subs of Taylor and Reynolds were just to keep Celtic guessing. I think the players have proved themselves in the last couple of games to at least stick with the midfield. I'm guessing he won't risk Stockley and Rooney though, that'd be a step too far, and understandable.

Reading some of the posts from last night, was someone on the sauce? Bit aggro to say the least.

Lewis

Logan, O'Connor, Consi, Shinnie

McGinn, Jack, Maddison, McLean, Hayes

Rooney

Is how I think we'll line up.

It's not necessarily the team I would go with but it's the team that McInnes will start with.

Two weeks is a long time in football. You were totally correct. It's now the team I would start with, one I always suspected McInnes will go with.

On McGinn, I hope him being benched on Saturday was part of the management strategy. Specifically, he needs his head filled with how valuable he is, how he's the best footballer at the club, how he needs to be given extra rest to ensure he's ready and fit to take control of the cup final. He should be told that he needs to lead by example and him busting his balls from the off will inspire the rest of his team-mates to victory. A bit of extra psychology for his head in particular might be to enforce that this is the most important game in the club's history, Rogers and Celtic having won the league already.

Then watch him like fuck. I wouldn't rule out subbing him off within half an hour if he doesn't show the right levels of commitment and/or starts passing to the opposition or otherwise making very careless mistakes that he, and indeed the vast majority of our team have been capable of already this season.

I can't imagine that we won't start with our strongest possible team and that must include McGinn

He is an integral part of our line up and an established internationalist for a team that actually participated in the Euros

I cannot be arsed with the endless remarks about how he doesn't try against Celtic and the derogatory comments about his religion are so fucking boring

If I was Niall and I scored on Sunday I would be tempted to give you lot the finger

I can't imagine that we won't start with our strongest possible team and that must include McGinn

He is an integral part of our line up and an established internationalist for a team that actually participated in the Euros

I cannot be arsed with the endless remarks about how he doesn't try against Celtic and the derogatory comments about his religion are so fucking boring

If I was Niall and I scored on Sunday I would be tempted to give you lot the finger

Absolutely spot on min.  :thumbsup:

He was half right in that Shinnie should always be played at Left Back, something so obvious to almost all of us for a very long time but something McInnes can't get his head round.

He obviously hates McLean and he's obviously not the only one. The question is why?

Given how he started his career at AFC and his contributions in our last two league games - where he undoubtedly played well and scored a couple of goals - then I don't see that insulting rhetoric like that is appropriate, even though he had been going through a very lean spell on the pitch which seemed to last for ages.

If I remember right, was McLean not spotted belting out Rangers songs in an Aberdeen hostelry * ? The stupidity of doing that alone deserves contempt but whilst he's still getting a pick for us, he should be supported by the fans.

The real question is - is he being managed properly? He should have been fined heavily and read the riot act (from his fellow Hun AFC manager *) for the social misdemeanour (if true). His performances, like McGinn's over many years, aren't consistent enough so I understand the vilification he gets. He's just not been good enough for AFC if we had any ambition to compete in this league but the reality is, our manager's not good enough and has reached his ceiling.

* The sickness of the west of Scotland extends way beyond Glesga. These cunts have been indoctrinated.

We're going to be saying "there's a player in there somewhere " about McLean for a long time.

He hasn't been worth a place in the team for a long long time.

Needs far too much time and is soft as shite.

If you want to beat Celtic in a Hampden final you can't be as soft as shite.

We're going to be saying "there's a player in there somewhere " about McLean for a long time.

I can't argue with much of that. The only thing I would say is that he DID start off good at AFC. He's got a cracking shot on him and he played well v. Patrick and Inverness, the last two games before the debacle, the game that will go down in history as the biggest capitulation ever.

And if McLean was to get binned, who the hell else has McInnes recruited to put in his place? Our midfield is SHITE and but for a young loanee - who's debut at Dens was superb and who single-handedly got us the 3 points v. the scum - it would have been even more embarrassingly bad.

Like McGinn who has regressed under McInnes, like Jack who is going nowhere under McInnes, like Shinnie who is missing out on a Scotland call-up because of McInnes, like Considine who is being ruined by McInnes, Kenny McLean's career is being completely fucked by an inept manager who hasn't got the basic skills for the job.

Absolute havers as usual, RS.

the debacle, the game that will go down in history as the biggest capitulation ever.

Hysterical pish. Forgetting the 9-0? (or in fact most of the results under McGhee, and that's only looking at recent years)

Like McGinn who has regressed under McInnes,

In what way? The stats don't back that up. He creates assists and scores goals and is being picked for his country.

Shinnie who is missing out on a Scotland call-up because of McInnes

How is that because of McInnes? Even if he was playing left back every week, he'd still be 5th choice left back for Scotland.

like Considine who is being ruined

Bollocks. He's improved as a left back and is as decent a CB as he's ever been.

inept manager who hasn't got the basic skills for the job.

More hysterical pish. Take a look at this to refresh your memory about who has or hasn't got the skills for the job: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aberdeen_F.C._managers

Turning into a McLean thread but I'll say my piece anyway.

He was bought whilst  mainly playing as second striker for St Midden. McInnes instantly fires him into midfield and whilst getting used to the role his first 6 months for us were on the whole forgettable.

Gets a good pre season in and instantly looks a player. Scores fairly regularly, gets a deserved Scotland call up, doesnt do badly then suddenly turns into a guy who looks more like Sunday league than Premier league.

And this season gets dropped even further back in the midfield.

It's yet another case of a player being ruined by McInnes. Seems as if he is too good to drop in Deek's eyes, but not good enough to play in his natural position.

However overall he has reached his ceiling. Good enough to play against your St Johnstone's or Motherwell's. But will never be good enough to play against Celtic ( and possibly sevco if they get their act together as they surely will next season). And this sums Aberdeen up to a T. Comfortable to be good but no ambition to be the best.

Absolute havers as usual, RS.

Hysterical pish. Forgetting the 9-0? (or in fact most of the results under McGhee, and that's only looking at recent years)

In what way? The stats don't back that up. He creates assists and scores goals and is being picked for his country.

How is that because of McInnes? Even if he was playing left back every week, he'd still be 5th choice left back for Scotland.

Bollocks. He's improved as a left back and is as decent a CB as he's ever been.

More hysterical pish. Take a look at this to refresh your memory about who has or hasn't got the skills for the job: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aberdeen_F.C._managers

Go down in the history of AFC finals as the biggest capitulation ever is what I meant. I don't think anyone would consider the 9-0 (not in a final) as not a worse capitulation would they? Unless you're just spoiling for a fight? As your first couple of words might suggest?

McGinn isn't considered good enough by his own manager to start the final. THAT'S how bad he's gone backwards. You forgetting his 9 goals in 10 games or whatever it was, including the one for NI v. Portugal? Can you not remember how good he was that many years ago and how he never produces the same consistency these days.

Shinnie isn't being played in his best position. That is wholly down to McInnes.

Considine is never a LB. He might be 6 out of 10 at best in that position. He is 6 / 10 at worst in CB and would be 8 or 9/10 if he got an extended run at it.

You think McInnes is a good manager comparing him to previous fucking incompetents appointing by Milne, which is what I assume the link you put up was that I didn't click on? That's the wrong way to look at it.

Go down in the history of AFC finals as the biggest capitulation ever is what I meant. I don't think anyone would consider the 9-0 (not in a final) as not a worse capitulation would they? Unless you're just spoiling for a fight? As your first couple of words might suggest?

McGinn isn't considered good enough by his own manager to start the final. THAT'S how bad he's gone backwards. You forgetting his 9 goals in 10 games or whatever it was, including the one for NI v. Portugal? Can you not remember how good he was that many years ago and how he never produces the same consistency these days.

Shinnie isn't being played in his best position. That is wholly down to McInnes.

Considine is never a LB. He might be 6 out of 10 at best in that position. He is 6 / 10 at worst in CB and would be 8 or 9/10 if he got an extended run at it.

You think McInnes is a good manager comparing him to previous fucking incompetents appointing by Milne, which is what I assume the link you put up was that I didn't click on? That's the wrong way to look at it.

Not spoiling for a fight, you just put things up as fact and I think they need to be challenged.

You called it "the game that will go down in history as the biggest capitulation ever", so I called that out.

McGinn not starting this game does not mean that McInnes doesn't consider him as good enough - you're just making assumptions there. I would say that the rest of the team has caught up to McGinn's level in a way that he's not always a standout anymore, but it doesn't mean he's regressed badly at all.

I don't think Shinnie would be in the Scotland team even if he was playing left back every week.

Considine being a 6/10 LB and an 8/10 CB doesn't sound like he's been ruined at all, so I don't follow your logic there. He's been a pretty steady performer for us and as I say, has improved as a left back during that time.

And yes, comparing a manager to other managers is a pretty good way of telling if they're competent or not. He seems to be very competent, considering the low point we were at before he took over.

No one is happy about the final, but it wasn't the worst ever by a long shot, and McInnes might not be perfect but he's incredibly far from being "incompetent" or "inept" like you suggest.

There's no point in comparing McInnes to any other AFC manager. None of them have had the luxury of facing what he has. Rangers dying, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd all relegated & the worst Celtic team in years, possibly ever. Ebbe was shite but his win percentage might've looked better if he wasn't up against Henrik Larsson etc

The 'player in there somewhere' line was used a lot for Goodwillie, I don't think we can apply that for Kenny.  I travelled to the Partick and ICT games and he stuck out as one of our best players.  I am not saying he was brilliant but there was something different about his game compared to the last few months.  I actually think he was getting stuck in to his challenges and claimed the midfield a lot more.

When I started this thread I said I felt Niall was the biggest question mark to be starting in the final.  I thought DM was going to leave him out, I just didn't expect him to cover for that in the way he did.  It's very easy to come away from the game when your pissed off saying 'He should of started McGinn' and you may well be right.  I personally don't think he should have started but leaving him out wasn't compensated for with DM's re-jigged back line.

The 'player in there somewhere' line was used a lot for Goodwillie, I don't think we can apply that for Kenny.  I travelled to the Partick and ICT games and he stuck out as one of our best players.  I am not saying he was brilliant but there was something different about his game compared to the last few months.  I actually think he was getting stuck in to his challenges and claimed the midfield a lot more.

When I started this thread I said I felt Niall was the biggest question mark to be starting in the final.  I thought DM was going to leave him out, I just didn't expect him to cover for that in the way he did.  It's very easy to come away from the game when your pissed off saying 'He should of started McGinn' and you may well be right.  I personally don't think he should have started but leaving him out wasn't compensated for with DM's re-jigged back line.

I wasn't at either of these games but I do wonder if McLean playing better and scoring 3 goals coincided with Shinnie being at left back??!!

I wasn't at either of these games but I do wonder if McLean playing better and scoring 3 goals coincided with Shinnie being at left back??!!

Absolutely.  I also think the little bit of stubble that he has grown is a big part of his up turn in form.  I've said it a already but he needs a beard to discover his full potential.  Come on Kenny throw that razor away.