Saturday 19th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Celtic v Aberdeen

Cup final team selection

mondo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my head , I just watched the team that should've been picked (as stated by me and the rocket scientist ) play Celtic.

Oh by the way, we won 2-1 and played great.

F*cking pity that.

:-\

I actually had a dream about it last night, Hayes scored a screamer. We still lost and I was moaning about it. I know this because my girlfriend woke me and knew right away it was about the final  :(

Absolutely soft as shite on Sunday. I'm just beginning to calm down after that.

I left early, I couldn't stand any more of it. A few of our party bailed off at half time and went to a restaurant instead.

We would have been better off letting Morton play them, at least the final may have been a more entertaining occasion.

I was utterly embarrassed watching that.

Absolutely soft as shite on Sunday. I'm just beginning to calm down after that.

I left early, I couldn't stand any more of it. A few of our party bailed off at half time and went to a restaurant instead.

We would have been better off letting Morton play them, at least the final may have been a more entertaining occasion.

I was utterly embarrassed watching that.

I didn't just leave early, I never went. The last time I missed AFC lifting a trophy was 1970 and I had a good alibi, being 7 years old and living abroad at the time. I knew we would get humped. Brendan v. Derek for silverware? No contest. Especially given the gulf in class of the individuals they can afford and we can't, and the spinelessness within McInnes and too many of our team.

The reason I drank water in the pub was that I was anticipating leaving early, after the second goal went in I was saying to my mates. That was the precise moment I departed, with the YES ringing in my ears from way too many Celtic supporters in a North East bar. In my day they would have got battered on principle. These days they can wear their hoops and give it large. It's not just the team who are soft. So are the fans.

Just kidding. I never advocate violence against another human being. Unless they deserve it. Supporting another team isn't deserving it although I can't stand how safe they feel they are in our environment.

I wasn't at either of these games but I do wonder if McLean playing better and scoring 3 goals coincided with Shinnie being at left back??!!

Absolutely this. Shinnie was all over the place on Sunday, and was just as at for the first goal. McLean came in late after being expected to mark the winger two seconds earlier, he would have only managed to foul the player (Brown?) as he was easily second favourite for the ball. He was right to pull out as he should have been able to rely on Shinnie to cover Rogic. The ball went out wide, there should have been no danger.

Anyway, Shinnie is a must at left back and show some trust in the McLean/Jack pairing that worked very well in the previous game.

To add, McLean was immense in the game against the tims at Pittodrie last season alongside Storie. He never shat out of a challenge that day, just as he didn't at the weekend - he made, in hindsight, a bad choice not to go through the player and take a booking.

Absolutely this. Shinnie was all over the place on Sunday, and was just as at for the first goal. McLean came in late after being expected to mark the winger two seconds earlier, he would have only managed to foul the player (Brown?) as he was easily second favourite for the ball. He was right to pull out as he should have been able to rely on Shinnie to cover Rogic. The ball went out wide, there should have been no danger.

Anyway, Shinnie is a must at left back and show some trust in the McLean/Jack pairing that worked very well in the previous game.

To add, McLean was immense in the game against the tims at Pittodrie last season alongside Storie. He never shat out of a challenge that day, just as he didn't at the weekend - he made, in hindsight, a bad choice not to go through the player and take a booking.

Would need to watch the whole game again but it does feel that McLean is getting a raw deal from Sunday. He was far from the worst but seems to be suffering because the poorest performances were from the favourites (shinnie, Maddison etc.)

In full agreement about showing faith in the Jack/McLean partnership. Jack was playing very well at the start of the season beside McLean from memory and McLean has performed better in the games before the final.

In full agreement about showing faith in the Jack/McLean partnership. Jack was playing very well at the start of the season beside McLean from memory and McLean has performed better in the games before the final.

It was alongside Shinnie, but aye, that 4-2-3-1 rather than the half arsed 4-5-1 type with Maddison out wide. The flat 3 of Shinnie, McLean and Jack just seems to confuse them and that was obvious in the huns game and again at the weekend. McLean was the only one moving the ball quickly, and put in a few good passes as well as a couple of decent interceptions at the weekend. The fact that he looked like a fanny when he avoided the challenge didn't help him, but he was never getting there before the Tim. We have to remember that the players would have been told not to put in any rash challenges as you really can't against the tims; Brown's disgusting attempt to get Jack sent off later in the game is evidence of that (when did that stop being a booking?).

It was alongside Shinnie, but aye, that 4-2-3-1 rather than the half arsed 4-5-1 type with Maddison out wide. The flat 3 of Shinnie, McLean and Jack just seems to confuse them and that was obvious in the huns game and again at the weekend. McLean was the only one moving the ball quickly, and put in a few good passes as well as a couple of decent interceptions at the weekend. The fact that he looked like a fanny when he avoided the challenge didn't help him, but he was never getting there before the Tim. We have to remember that the players would have been told not to put in any rash challenges as you really can't against the tims; Brown's disgusting attempt to get Jack sent off later in the game is evidence of that (when did that stop being a booking?).

Ah, I'd remembered it was just McLean and jack but I'll take your word for it, definitely agree that McLean jack and shinnie hasnt gelled.

You've probably got a point about not putting in rash challenges, but they did take that to the extreme on Sunday, at times it was laughable... singling McLean out in that respect would be unfair though.

No it fuckin wouldn't.

He's a poof and we don't need poofs in our team.

Of course he should have went straight through his man, that's what they were doing to us.

You don't have to be a dirty team to win but you certainly have to be able to dish it out if it turns that way.

No it fuckin wouldn't.

Of course he should have went straight through his man, that's what they were doing to us.

You don't have to be a dirty team to win but you certainly have to be able to dish it out if it turns that way.

Going on that logic you'll be dropping Maddison too then?...

No it fuckin wouldn't.

Nobody was going through anybody at that point in the game. We hadn't touched the ball for them to go through us.

I'd argue we need mair poofs. Extra poofs, that's fit I'd say.

This is the problem though, he makes the wrong choice in terms of tackling (or not to, in most cases) far too often. He's far too easy to play against.

This is the problem though, he makes the wrong choice in terms of tackling (or not to, in most cases) far too often. He's far too easy to play against.

Sorry, I used the term "in hindsight" because they scored. Something that was entirely out of his control after he didn't commit the foul. Put another way, I could just as easily have said "in hindsight, Shinnie should have been much close to Rogic", but that's a fundamental part of defending that didn't need to be stated (especially not to someone as good as Shinnie). McLean's choice - it could be argued - was made worse because Shinnie didn't defend well enough, something he (McLean) could only have known in hindsight. That was the point I was making. There is a good argument that he could just have cleaned the player out, but then we would have perhaps been arguing about a player who had given a way a stupid free-kick in a very dangerous position (if they'd scored from it). Either way, the decision was not an easy one in a split second and could have led to a goal either way.

McLean wasn't easy to play against for ICT, or Partick, or the Tims last season, or the dons when he played for St Mirren and numerous others. He's clearly got the ability to not be easy to play against as he's proven before. However, he's been pish for a while, but just when he starts to play well alongside Jack, McInnes changes it. So I'm blaming McInnes.

McLean wasn't easy to play against for ICT, or Partick, or the Tims last season, or the dons when he played for St Mirren and numerous others. He's clearly got the ability to not be easy to play against as he's proven before. However, he's been pish for a while, but just when he starts to play well alongside Jack, McInnes changes it. So I'm blaming McInnes.

Overall I blame McInnes for Sunday, as should DM himself.

McLean's performances in the previous two matches were much improved, but let's face it, they were a very long time coming in terms of this season. Two decent performances in 4 months of football is not a very good return, as you say, pish for a while. He probably shouldn't have played against the two Thistles, as he should have been dropped way before then. But yes, that is McInnes's fault - he has his favourites and KM is undoubtedly one of them.

McLean should have done more at the first goal.  He may not be the only one to blame, but his decision/mistake was so typical of him it is hard not to be wound up by it.  We've seen it so often from him, maybe not directly leading to a goal, for it then to cost us in a cup final is quite hard to take, along with the general insipidness of the display overall.