Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

The January window

LA-Don

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explains why he got recalled at any rate, i guess it wasn't really our decision if Bristol had a buyer for him.  Not that he will be missed much  :wave:

DM McInnes explained the other night that he was recalled because Bristol City received an offer for him.  :thumbsup:

Been thinking about the Stevie May alleged story

If we were getting the Stevie May of his last season with St Johnstone then fucking do it, however he didn't excatly set the heather alight down at Sheffield and hasn't played for well over a year owing to a serious injury.

My concern is twofold here.

Firstly where does he fit into a McInnes line up and secondly just how fit is he going to be. The season has got less than four months to go. How long is it going to take him to get match fit. Are we spunking away a wage on getting another team's player fit at our expense ?

Fits abody elses thoughts on this one ???

If it's a 6 month loan with a view to signing him in the summer, then it's a good move I reckon.

If he's just here as a squad filler to take over the 15 minute cameo role that could be utilised by players that are already contracted to us (Storey/Wright/Stockley), I'd rather we concentrated our resources on a central midfielder.

I think our interest in May confirms that Maddison will not be returning. 6 month loan ( which isnt really 6 months as it would be end of Jan to late May) with us paying Id guess 2k per week of his wages represents about 36k outlay. Not really a gamble imho if it fails so be it, if it works he probably scores the goals that secure 2nd or wins us the Cup in which case it more than pays for itself. At the end of the loan there may be an option to convert to permanent deal also so it gives both parties a good look at what each can offer the other.

And no Edinburghdon....as I posted earlier in this thread, I don't want O'Halloran at Pittodrie in an anything other than oppostion teams' colours. Offers nothing that Burns didn't...and no one isn't happy to see the back of him.

I don't see why May would mean no Maddison return. Two very different players in different positions. I see May replacing Burns and Storey. I think we may see a 4-4-2 with May and Rooney but we all thought that with Stockley -that does not appear to be DM's thought - he's a 4-2-3-1 guy. If Maddison doesn't return and Storie has gone on loan we're even thinner in the middle of the park. Cammy Smith returning??

I'd totally take O'Halloran. Worth the risk and from what I remember was solid at St. J. Both May and O'Halloran have upside in my eyes. He'd be more of a replacement for Maddison than May. Don't think  Rangers would loan or sell him to us though.

Silent on the central midfielder front, major concern in my eyes there.

I think there is a player in Burns, we maybe didn't see the best of him, but honestly think he wasn't as bad as some make out.

May would be a gamble, but if fit he knows where the net is. I would rate him a better finisher than Rooney and I rate Rooney. He is only 24, so hopefully he can come up to us and kickstart his career, if he had a little more pace I could well imagine May playing at a higher level.

We really need some options in midfield though.

Rather a midfielder. Hopefully that's what he's really looking at.

On o'hunnoran, welcome to yesterday ED ;) don't want a player who was happy to drop a league despite being linked with a premier league side. Shows he's a bad egg, one with shite hair too. Fuck that. Was never convinced by him and I doubt the newcomers orcs would sell to us anyway.

Don't care if players have played for Celtic or Rangers as long as they play well for us. Loved Jim Bett as a player, very happy with McGinn. Obviously Ferguson played for Rangers....

As for dropping down a league, the lifespan of a player is so limited I don't care what players do. We don't know the circumstances behind players and decisions. For example, as a new father money is so fucking tight for me right now that I'd play anywhere and for anyone if it meant an improved paycheck that helped my family and secured long term financial stability. If I was single with no kids I'd play for less money to play for a team I love!

Footballers get judged for making decisions but we do not know why. A football career could be finished with a brutal injury tomorrow that I don't question why they do what they do. Just give your all for the dons if you play for us.

Donsdaft, I just can't subscribe to that mentality. I despise Rangers and Celtic but if a player becomes an Aberdeen player I'm a fan - I want them and the team to excel. The abuse does nothing to help us and I can't relate to people who boo or abuse our own players. It serves no positive or helpful purpose and is detrimental to the team and performance in my eyes. Barry Nicholson was excellent for us, Gavin Rae was a local boy who supported us, I'd still take Andrew Shinnie if he became available, and if Neil Alexander ever plays he'll get my full support.

Of the players i've seen us linked to, O'Halloran i cant see happening, wouls only entertain that one if Hayes/McGinn leave.    Commons a year or 2 back  yes but now nah !

Stevie May could be very effective for us, i noticed he hasnt even started a game this season yet, but get him fit i would say yes (also the possibility of getting him on a perm.if it suits both parties).

Fantastic news. Wonder how long until he starts at left back.

Listening to Derek McInnes the other night at Pittodrie it seems clear to me that he sees him primarily as a midfielder and implied that's also where Shinnie prefers to play. So I wouldn't put money on seeing him at full back again any time soon.