Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Summer transfer window

manc_don

The Sun reporting that we are lining a shock return to Pittodrie for Kari Arnason.

Would be a good experienced signing if its true.

Was chatting to TC about that just now, no quotes or anything though.  Some folk were mentioning his name on Twitter last week but it seemed just that rather than anything of substance.  Would love him to come back and play CB.  Plus, he hates the Tims  :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think we may lose out on May because of Neil going to PNE?  It would at least delay things I would have thought.

Yeah I think Neil will want to keep him for sure, I guess it will be down to May himself, if still want to move back North then having Neil in there could make it easier for us to deal with Preston as McInnes has had transfer dealing with him in the past.

Was chatting to TC about that just now, no quotes or anything though.  Some folk were mentioning his name on Twitter last week but it seemed just that rather than anything of substance.  Would love him to come back and play CB.  Plus, he hates the Tims  :thumbsup:

Unlike a certain huddle joining person I could mention.  :wave:

Kari Arnason played as a midfielder for Aberdeen if I recall or largely as a buffer between midfield and defence.  He was slow then and got by through his class and experience.

He joined Omonia Nicosia in January and was freed recently and is now on the look out for a club. From his track record McInnes has a track record of avoiding foreign EU players and seeks to build his squad via UK, Irish type players. 

Arnason would be a good squad addition IMO - age means nothing in the game but they need a 20-28yrs fresh and powerful leader at the back. Someone who can be 2nd captain and has sell on value.  Celtic do it all the time - they need a 26 year old with potential who can be sold on.

Arnason won a lot of friends during his last term via making various statements which won him supporter votes but not really what the backlines needs but certainly has squad filler potential - subs bench via potential steadying influence.

Arnason would be a waste of money just like McNaughton. We have plenty of experienced players, and we have plenty of defensive back up. We need a commanding central defender and if Arnason was that he'd be with a team already. We also need an athletic powerful holding mid and that's not him either. Past it like Kev and not what we need at all.

His age doesn't bother me too much as he seems the sort to look after himself. Davie Weir strolled it in this league well into his late 30's and Russell Anderson didn't do too badly either despite being made of chocolate in his later years. I'd stick to a 1 year contract though.

60 caps, well experienced, steady influence, good attitude.

But to be honest the whole scenario looks agent driven.  A player who played for Aberdeen some time ago, could not want to get away to earn more money and suddenly without a contract he states 'I would like to sign for you'.

God knows what McInnes thinks of it all - what is sure is that mcInnes is ego driven and wants players he wants and  chases not players who come out of nowhere to say 'gees a contract'.

IS McInnes really interested in him?  Probably not - its so transparent its incredible - agent driven trying to engineer a move.

Its exactly his level.

Wish the loon all the best with this move he wasn't really the level we required ( although I've seen a lot worse) but no matter what no one could ever question his effort and committment to the club. And his leaving message to the club/fans was absolute class.

Now lets get his replacement sorted.

Saw Taylor saying he was fed up finishing second to Celtic and this was one reason he left.

Even when he's not our player he fucking annoys me.

Also seen talk on other Dons forums claiming we have offered a contract to Fraser Fyvie, probably someone on the ind up.

Signed for United did he not?

Taylor has signed for Northampton.

Big step up for Ash. Is he capable of playing at this level ?

Last time he played in L1 he got relegated with Tranmere, did he not?

Northampton will likely get relegated this season. 

Still it's better than;

Saw Taylor saying he was fed up finishing second to Celtic and this was one reason he left.

That kind of shite suggests he wasn't offered a new deal here...