Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Summer transfer window

manc_don

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really do have some severe recruiting/promoting to do. From last seasons 1st team squad, which is still on the AFC website, we have lost:

Neil Alexander

Johnny Hayes

Ryan Jack

Aaron Lennox

Niall McGinn

Joe Nuttall

Peter Pawlett

Lawrence Shankland

Cammy Smith

Ash Taylor

That is 10 players from a 27 man squad. I appreciate that 3 of these guys were out on loan and Joe Nuttall didn't really feature, if at all in fact but the rest of these players make up a training squad. Based on our squad list from last season we have:

Christie

Considine

Harvie

Lewis

Logan

McKenna

McLean

O'Connor

Reynolds

Rogers

Rooney

Ross

Shinnie

Stockley

Storey

Storie

Wright

Plus

Tansey

From the young players that were out on loan I can see McKenna and Rogers being definite replacements in the squad.

It won't be long before the excuses start getting peddled out as to why players are not arriving.

One today, Stewart Milne: "If we can see our average crowds back at the 14,000 level for next season that gives Derek the added powers to go out there and continue to strengthen the squad as we move forward."

Funnily enough, I guessed the 'added powers' McInnes has were all the wages freed up from the masses of players who have left the club and the £1m + they made from Hayes.

Or maybe they just want the fans to pay the players wages?

Ps. No mention of the £1 they have added on the price of match day admission.

It won't be long before the excuses start getting peddled out as to why players are not arriving.

One today, Stewart Milne: "If we can see our average crowds back at the 14,000 level for next season that gives Derek the added powers to go out there and continue to strengthen the squad as we move forward."

Funnily enough, I guessed the 'added powers' McInnes has were all the wages freed up from the masses of players who have left the club and the £1m + they made from Hayes.

Or maybe they just want the fans to pay the players wages?

Ps. No mention of the £1 they have added on the price of match day admission.

I get his point but  seriously thought the same as you on the highlighted bit.  I get that the Maloney transfer blew up in their faces, but as I said in the other thread, surely we were speaking to others in the lead up to the close season?  DM almost leaving probably fucked the whole summer up, probably worse off player recruitment wise than if he had left.  I don't know, maybe i'm just too cynical? Certainly seemed like Milne hinted there would be more unveiled this week than the zero that have been.

Neil Alexander

Johnny Hayes

Ryan Jack

Aaron Lennox

Niall McGinn

Joe Nuttall

Peter Pawlett

Lawrence Shankland

Cammy Smith

Ash Taylor

All the above have left.  All wages freed up.  In addition, they got £1m plus for Hayes.

Surely that means that Derek McInnes has lots of funds available. AFC have more money than any other club currently.  Derek doesn't need more money via turnstiles at the moment.  Everyone knows that the club has a stable 10,500 season ticket holders.  Not going to get much more ST sold in the current NE economic climate many people have better things to do with money and feel pressures financially.

The guy does not come across well (Milne) and last week it was all Dave Cormack in multi-millionaire etc.

But time is moving on, training starts on Monday.  Got an important game on 13th July - QR2.

The squad is not fit for purpose currently.

Shinnie would be a direct replacement for Pawlett in my eyes, solid squad player. I may be blinkered, but by signing for us with his brother here may spark his career, there's talent there.

Too much agreeing here ;)

But again I agree.

Hear what you're saying Slim, but there is a player in there and reckon McInnes and being reunited

with his brother could bring it out again.

Ok, getting bored! Milne fucked us by saying we should expect signing this week!

Getting slightly concerned by the lack of activity but this is what I expected to be honest. We don't pay big money so available players won't jump at us immediately, they'll wait to explore all offers, much like the situation Niall McGinn is in. Plus we have an agenda with Europe coming up, other teams are still on holiday. We need at the bare minimum 6 signings in my eyes, the rest get replaced by youth, something we've neglected and must be developed -

Alexander - replaced by Danny Rogers

Taylor - replaced by ????

Pawlett - replaced by Andrew Shinnie

Hayes - replaced by Greg Stewart

McGinn - replaced by Scott Wright

Jack - replaced by Ryan Christie and Greg Tansey

Punt Storey and add Stevie May

The Jonny Hayes transfer free plus freed wages should cover all of this.

I was never a fan of Jack - a poor mans Scott Brown - and not overly keen on McLean - an attacking creative midfielder who somehow manages to rarely get goals and assists. Shinnie is our best midfielder, I see Christie better than Kenny.

Hayes and McGinn are the tough ones to replace as they scored and assisted on a shit load. Don't think Jack or McLean would be overly missed provided we sign replacements and if we get offered seven figures for McLean we take it. He's a die hard hun apparently, totally see him going there for free on a pre contract and we did a terrible job of losing McGinn and Jack for nothing, that should never happen. We cannot afford to lose our supposed best players for free. Still think that if we can send McLean to Birmingham for Stewart and Andrew Shinnie that's a good piece of business plus McLean doesn't come back to haunt us with the huns. Saying that, I'd like to see a central midfield pairing on Graeme Shinnie and John McGinn with Christie ahead of them.

AFC Chairman has no ideas and is a clueless idiot. Imagine asking already financially hard pressed fans for money in the local press, to fund new players and back Derek McInnes just a week after the club making £1.2 in transfer fees.

Last week he promised players in by the end of the week.  Not a sausage.  You have got over a £1m+ to spend on players wages, you idiot!!!!!!!!!

Last week the manager said he was aiming for Europa League group stages - he has a tough job on his hands unless the board back him with Hayes money.

You would think a person in the main leadership position would wait until a few players come in, act on that excitement THEN you make a statement asking people to buy season tickets.

This man is an idiot.  The club already put the price of matchday entry and season tickets up and they wonder why season ticket sales are poor?

That £1m from Hayes is going on the new stadium fiasco - Milne's pet project.