Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Summer transfer window

manc_don

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the signing I was least fussed about if it didnt happen but even at 34 he should be a class above everyone else in the league bar the Dhims. Irony is with his delivery Gash would probably have been a more potent threat from set pieces. Consi should get a fair few tho

Haven't seen him play in a couple of years, but he vastly improved for Scotland in his later career, so hopefully his form hasn't dropped since then. The only concern for me is where to play him? I don't think Maloney has been a winger since his early Tim days, and was poor for Scotland until they played him behind the striker. Unfortunately we have Christie and McLean who both play that role, and a dearth of wing talent (is Wright our only winger?). At 34, I don't see Maloney offering us the wing play required, although he could do as McGinn did for much of the latter part of the season where he drifted in from the wing for large parts of games, almost providing an additional centre forward. Certainly a good signing on paper nevertheless. Didn't set the heather alight last time he was up here, so I'm not expecting huge things, but a good work rate and good passer, so should fit in nicely. Welcome aboard loon.

Haven't seen him play in a couple of years, but he vastly improved for Scotland in his later career, so hopefully his form hasn't dropped since then. The only concern for me is where to play him? I don't think Maloney has been a winger since his early Tim days, and was poor for Scotland until they played him behind the striker. Unfortunately we have Christie and McLean who both play that role, and a dearth of wing talent (is Wright our only winger?). At 34, I don't see Maloney offering us the wing play required, although he could do as McGinn did for much of the latter part of the season where he drifted in from the wing for large parts of games, almost providing an additional centre forward. Certainly a good signing on paper nevertheless. Didn't set the heather alight last time he was up here, so I'm not expecting huge things, but a good work rate and good passer, so should fit in nicely. Welcome aboard loon.

I'd agree with this, not expecting great things, but he should have enough to beat the majority of teams in the league.  Cracking delivery too which we've lost in both Hayes and McGinn. Should hopefully give Wright some good guidance  :thumbsup:

Maloney is pure class. Very good technique, brilliant at free kicks.

Can play where he wants on the forward line. McGinn and Hayes swapped regularly.

I think that's overstating it slightly. I watched him a lot for Scotland, and I wouldn't have said his free-kick taking was as good as Mulgrew's to be honest. Possibly splitting hairs as, whatever you think of Muglrew, his free-kick taking was pretty exceptional. I found Maloney struggled with anything over 25 yards, didn't really have the power to beat a good 'keeper. Basically, if he didn't get it right in the top corner/in at the post the goalie usually got to it. That said, he did usually put in a cracking dead ball cross, but for years in a Scotland top he never matched that with his in-play delivery. In fact his final ball was atrocious for Scotland for near on a decade until he moved into the central position. That was largely down to the fact - it seemed - that he never quite had the pace or trickery (that he certainly had in his early Tim days) to make the space for the cross in the first place. His last couple of years for Scotland were excellent though (especially his work rate), and showed the technique you talk of. As you say, he can play where he wants on the front line, however I'm concerned that played with Christie - for example - both will want to come inside where they're more comfortable leaving us a bit light on the wings. In short, I think Maloney is good, but I don't think he's as good as Hayes so we shouldn't expect that level of performance from him. Basically, I hope we dinna go treating the guy as some sort of Nicholas-like legend that we expect far too much from. Also, I hope we recruit wisely in the wide areas (or play Wright more often), as I think we've lost a lot of the counter attacking pace that served us very well in the last few seasons.

Mulgrew was a one trick pony at Aberdeen. He took everything at Pittodrie.

Maloney's figs speak for themselves at all levels.

Free signing - make him a sub. Fine.

For clarification - as you love to answer an argument that wasn't put to you - I wasn't comparing Mulgrew as a player with Maloney, simply their free-kicks.

For clarification - as you love to answer an argument that wasn't put to you - I wasn't comparing Mulgrew as a player with Maloney, simply their free-kicks.

No debate about Mulgrew. He was good at dead ball - but it became a bit daft at Aberdeen at the end.  One game v Dunfermline a free kick was given to the Dons at our own corner flag i.e. near our defensive box. Mulgrew took it and lumped it into the opposition box.

The tactics were not really any tactics; just Calderwood saying to Mulgrew - kick the ball into the box from a free kick wherever it is given on the field of play.

Maloney will be offering presence in and around the box.

Well, if we get Maloney and May I'll be very happy. However, I'm certainly hoping we address the major problems from last year. We definitely need at least one central defender (right sided) and a tough tackling holding mid. See Maloney, Stewart, and Scott Wright replacing McGinn and Hayes, but who replaces Taylor and Jack. DM said Tansey was not a replacement for Jack and I certainly hope we don't revert to McLean trying to sit deep. Good job with transfers so far, fingers crossed.

Does anyone else care that we're linked with and signing Scottish players? I like that, much more preferred than lower league English unknowns or the Rangers route (and hearts in January) of foreign diddies. Think Sevco are taking a huge gamble there.

For the record and I am complete you pished...

I think 100% is treated unfairly here're l

Be nice guys,.

I I don't see why u guts are not nice to him

Fuck I'm pished

Without going into detail anything said on here about 'me', in response, in reply as a Donstalk user is taken with a pinch of salt.  Doesn't bother me, not a problem and its viewed by me as just total online worthless opinions.

And that is about it.

Without going into detail anything said on here about 'me', in response, in reply as a Donstalk user is taken with a pinch of salt.  Doesn't bother me, not a problem and its viewed by me as just total online worthless opinions.

And that is about it.

Well in that case

Give us a kiss u sexy bitch!

Ok still pished..back to sleep

:spaz: :spaz: :spaz:

Delighted to get Maloney.  I can understand the reservations about age etc but this is a guy whose game has always been about guile not pace.  I would put it to the board that from that point of view  we have not had a player of this calibre in red since Jess.  Stays fit (and he's not an injury prone player so I'm not too worried about that 34 or not) he will wreak havoc in defences up here, Celtics included.

I think we are going for a change in style next season, the three behind the striker are going to be far tighter and I see us trying to play through defences instead of getting behind them on the flanks.  Should this come to pass then it would be a bold move from DM but

why not?  The spine of the team is gone so whats the point pretending it's not by trying to mimic those that have left.  I know a dundee fan and bumped into him today, interestingly he reckon's Stewart is going to be our signing of the season. Again hes is a guile not pace kinda forward which adds to the theory of change, the likes of stewart maloney and christie all playing together is likely to create a lot of 60% + possession matches. 

Getting May in playing in this kind of style would be very interesting as he's defo got a better touch than Rooney but,  and equally I would argue, Rooney has a far more predatorial instinct than May and I can see him thriving on such service.  Rooney can head a ball for sure but he's no target man and whilst Hayes and McGinn have been amazing for us and will be sorely missed you could make the point that their un-droppableness caused us to be a wee bit one dimensional at times over the past few seasons.  I said it many times last season but whether he is scoring or not Rooney causes defences big headaches, with those three playing behind him i think he is going to find himself getting a bit more space in the central areas. 

It's a brave new world Donstalkers and I, for one, feel much more optimistic than I did 3 weeks ago.

Absolutely mate^^^

Rooney and may or may and stewart?

Isnt it time we had a fantastic 2 player strike force..

We havent had that since..hmmm..anyone help me out here?

1937?  :laughing:

You might not have to go back quite as far as that.

Mark McGhee and Eric Black didn't do that badly.

Joe Harper and Drew Jarvie would piss on anything that's available today.