Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Summer transfer window

manc_don

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had no idea he had been released by ICT. Is full back cover really what we require though? I suppose if he was looking for no more that 1500 a week he would be a decent squad player but really couldnt see him ever starting unless Logan picked up an injury or suspension. I know he has played left back too but if Consi got injured I'd prefer Harvie to come in for a few games or put Shinnie back there.

Absolutely no reason to sign McNaughton, total waste of money. Harvie covers at left back as can Shinnie, we have Considine, O'Connor, and Reynolds in the middle plus a new signing who is better than Kev, and at right back I know we have a young boy, just cannot remember who, plus I think Storie played right back once.

I'm a big fan of Kev from 10 years ago but he serves no purpose to the current squad.

I wouldnae worry, apparently we're just doing him a favour

Former Dons full-back Kevin McNaughton, who has left Inverness, is training with Aberdeen and was also in the squad for the friendly with Saints.

However, McInnes explained: "He's not a player we're looking to sign, but we're just trying to help Kevin along the way."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40466987 (at the end)

Was thinking last night of who we could actually go for should McLean be sold. Only one in Scotland who I could come up with is Liam Henderson at the Dhims who if anything was probably further out the first team picture there than either Christie or GMS until the last few games of the season when they were resting guys up for the Cup final.

He had an excellent season at Hibs on loan 2 yrs ago but played so little last season its difficult to judge but you would think 400k would be enough to get him in permanent which should leave a healthy profit from any cash we get for McLean. Could be used to strengthen in January when injuries and suspensions start kicking in.

Ali Crawford would be my choice

Did consider him no doubt a skilful player but I believe there is a reason that at 25 despite constant speculation linking him with various bigger clubs notably sevco around a year ago, he is still still stuck at Hamilton. That reason being he is just physically too slight in stature. In a team full of hammer throwers such as Hamilton this isnt really a problem but put him into a more cultured footballing side, when things are going against you, 1-0 down to Rossco away from home on a wild winter's night at half time, he simply has not got the attributes required to dig the team out of the hole they are in.

Tbh I have the same reservations about Stewart but he is here now so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'd replace him with Christie or Maloney, both are better through the middle.

Agreed, and I think that's why we're getting both of them in - they'll know they can offload McLean now for cash and he has plenty of potential suitors, I think we're getting our signings in first before selling him.  Obviously this goes against the "no more departures" line which came from the club/DM last week, but that in itself was maybe released with the aim of getting serious bids in for McLean.

Agreed, and I think that's why we're getting both of them in - they'll know they can offload McLean now for cash and he has plenty of potential suitors, I think we're getting our signings in first before selling him.  Obviously this goes against the "no more departures" line which came from the club/DM last week, but that in itself was maybe released with the aim of getting serious bids in for McLean.

Hope not. McLean is a very good player with the potential to get better. We'd be seriously weak (not physically) without him. If he stays, he'll play every game next season. I don't think McInnes will let him go either.

Hope not. McLean is a very good player with the potential to get better. We'd be seriously weak (not physically) without him. If he stays, he'll play every game next season. I don't think McInnes will let him go either.

Problem is, if he doesn't sign a new deal then he'll leave for nothing. We cannot allow that to happen. Need to learn how to sell players, as much as I agree with you.

Problem is, if he doesn't sign a new deal then he'll leave for nothing. We cannot allow that to happen. Need to learn how to sell players, as much as I agree with you.

I'd argue that we need to learn when not to sell players. McLean is better than most we'll get for the money we'll get for him. Not irreplaceable, of course, but we'd be taking a risk trying to replace him, Hayes, Jack and McGinn and expecting to get in similar or better. Given McInnes' signing sucess in recent years I'd say it's unlikely we'd manage it. We're not a club in debt anymore, and we got our transfer quota from the Hayes sale, there should be no need to sell more first team players. We're nae the arabs.

In saying that, the one additional season ticket sale we'd get might make it worthwhile.

We may be weaker without him, to suggest we'd be seriously weak without him is nonsense in my opinion and does a disservice to his teammates.

McLean is a good player. His technique is very good, above most in our squad and most in the league, but he also has his major flaws - his shitebaggery is colossal. His end product in key areas is poor far too much of the time.

My understanding of the situation was that we paid money for him with a view to making a profit some time down the line. If he isn't going to sign an extended deal, then that time is now. 

McLean is no star man in my eyes and I'd even argue Tansey is more of a replacement for him than Jack. He's an attacking creative midfield players who doesn't score or get assists! That's two major flaws right there! I'd take money now than nothing in 12 months.

If McLean indicates he has no intention of signing a new deal and the opportunity comes along to sell him now, then we should take it.

I would love for him to extend his deal, but if he doesn't want to then like Ryan Jack he can be replaced.

In all honesty, with the way the squad is shaping up currently it looks McLean will deop back in to a CM role again and I would much rather Tansey-Shinnie or Tansey-New CM in there. Then its a choice between Christine and McLean for that forward attacking role and for me Christie is the better option.