Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Scotland squad

Nips_and_Tatties

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Would assume another striker will be called up if it’s as bad as pictures suggest. It would be madness to go with just 3 one of whom has hardly played all season. 

It's Clarke. He'll probably just stick with the squad he's got, meaning one less to throw out before the final squad announcement. Maybe an extra keeper?

Would it be Ross Stewart favourite for the striker position if he takes another? Conway? Or go wild and take Simon Murray?

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

It's Clarke. He'll probably just stick with the squad he's got, meaning one less to throw out before the final squad announcement. Maybe an extra keeper?

Would it be Ross Stewart favourite for the striker position if he takes another? Conway? Or go wild and take Simon Murray?

Ross Stewart has not played enough for me. Conway probably or maybe Ryan Hardie from Plymouth. Ryan Gauld has been playing just off striker for Vancouver and got 7 goals for Vancouver might also be a shout but Clarke does not seem to rate the MLS

Just now, Jute said:

Ross Stewart has not played enough for me. Conway probably or maybe Ryan Hardie from Plymouth. Ryan Gauld has been playing just off striker for Vancouver and got 7 goals for Vancouver might also be a shout but Clarke does not seem to rate the MLS

I agree about Stewart, but assumed he was the most Dykes-like of the options. I've not seen anything of Hardie. Didn't Clarke play Russell a few times when he was in the MLS? I guess Gauld maybe suffers from having several in that position, but with Ferguson out he'd be a decent shout. 

If Stewart has played more I would definitely take him for reason you give but with him just being back from a long term injury I would think he would be a risk. I suppose to Orlando’s point earlier if we had a bigger squad we could have taken Stewart and Hardie to give them game time in the two friendlies to see how fit Stewart is and how Hardie does at international level. 

7 hours ago, Jute said:

If Stewart has played more I would definitely take him for reason you give but with him just being back from a long term injury I would think he would be a risk. I suppose to Orlando’s point earlier if we had a bigger squad we could have taken Stewart and Hardie to give them game time in the two friendlies to see how fit Stewart is and how Hardie does at international level. 

It's not too late to bring them both along is it? I assumed that we could do what we like for these friendlies? I'm guessing Clarke would have a fair idea who he thought was the better player and can just bring one along with Dykes out. I don't see him doing it though, I think he'll go the safe route of just having Jack as another midfield backup and let Kelly go home on his own. The only way I can see him doing something is if he has an arbitrary figure of X number of forwards (four) that he feels he has to have in his squad. It's a real shame that Scotland legend Oli McBurnie isn't fit.

After a bit of digging the tournament teams do not need to be confirmed until midnight on the 7th so Clarke can call up additional players this week. I do not think we can go to a tournament with just Adams ( who is just coming back from injury) Shankland and Doak (also just back from injury) and could easily be down to just one striker come 14th June. Think we have to call someone up.

Posted (edited)

Well, look at it this way. Opportunity for shankland to shine and earn a big money move. Prove how good he is. His confidence is high and he’s the only forward who has played consistently recently. Match sharp and ready to go. Maybe we also play better football since we don’t have the long ball option quite so much.

alternatively, do we play mctominay up front? Would be keen on that had we Ferguson fit to come into midfield.

Edited by OrlandoDon

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Lewis Morgan doing well and scoring goals, worth a Scotland look? 

Is it Red Bulls he is at now?

Not seen them yet this season. Is he playing as well as Gauld?

2 hours ago, Jute said:

Is it Red Bulls he is at now?

Not seen them yet this season. Is he playing as well as Gauld?

Pay very little attention to MLS but looks like he’s scored 14 in 16 games for them this season and is well on form. Scored a hat trick against Miami (Messi and I all the old stars) this season from what I see.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jute said:

Jack Milne on the bench but Barron not in team at all. 

At Cormack park putting pen to paper on a new 8 year deal. Or on the plane to meet up with the big team.

That was a fairly honking performance by Scotland tonight. A nice finish from Adams the only highlight. They looked like they were running through treacle at times. I guess it's been a long season. Cooper perhaps out? Would be no bad thing in my opinion, we're sorted in that area.

I thought it interesting McRorie started over Ralston.  Whilst Ralston has been capped before he's not had much game time and I can't help but wonder if this means Clarke is leaning toward RM for RWB. 

Aye Rico, if we must lose one through injury at least we have enough cover at CB.   Disappointed we didn't see Doak, not even on the bench, but Tom English just said on the radio he didn't train last week so that makes some sense.  

Overall a drab affair but I think Clarke was probably just wanting them to having a run out so I'm not going to shit the bed just yet.   Fingers crossed we see a more positive performance on Friday against Finland.  

3 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I thought it interesting McRorie started over Ralston.  Whilst Ralston has been capped before he's not had much game time and I can't help but wonder if this means Clarke is leaning toward RM for RWB. 

Aye Rico, if we must lose one through injury at least we have enough cover at CB.   Disappointed we didn't see Doak, not even on the bench, but Tom English just said on the radio he didn't train last week so that makes some sense.  

Overall a drab affair but I think Clarke was probably just wanting them to having a run out so I'm not going to shit the bed just yet.   Fingers crossed we see a more positive performance on Friday against Finland.  

McRorie did okay, and I think he's the obvious choice over Ralston. He's more athletic, despite being technically limited, and I think that'll get him the nod. I've a feeling we'll go 3-4-2-1 against Germany, and that will suit McRorie better than Ralston I think.

Tonight did highlight the obvious deficiencies in our squad though. We've got a lot of very average players. Hopefully Doak brings something with his directness, as that's missing from that squad (guys like Forrest are pretty much nothing players).

Adams finish aside not great game for strikers. Thought McCrorie played well enough and would rather have him than Ralston. Clarke saying he thinks Cooper is just a knock.