Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Scotland squad

Nips_and_Tatties

On 27/08/2024 at 21:17, RicoS321 said:

Why? He's been good for Scotland, generally speaking. The red card wasn't something that can be blamed entirely on Porteous either, the rest of the defence and midfield went completely missing and he threw himself at the block. It was a rash challenge as a result of chaotic defending, nothing more, nothing less. He got his punishment.

He was an absolute cheat for Hibs against us numerous times. I think it was Robson who was brave enough to question the intent of some of Porteous' decisions on the field, decisions deliberately intended to trick refs. And sure enough last time he faced us he pulled a penalty out of nothing 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Barron called up. McCowan must be devastated.

Edit: Doig also, good to see. These transitions should have been made prior to the Euros.

Dundee keeper Jon McCracken also called up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Good news that.

Would hate to have just signed up to Premier Sports recently to see the away game. 

Does anyone know where you go on the Premier Sport site to cancel a subscription.

Aye, I dodged a bullet there, I decided not to renew, although I'd probably have panicked tomorrow and signed up. Scotland games should always be on cooncil telly, hopefully we can get an arrangement with ITV, and even better if we can get something better than standard definition.

Christ, we didn't deserve to lose that. A lot to like about the performance, but we can maybe see tonight why Clarke has been playing the back three. Ralston, McLean and Hanley all had decent games, but they just aren't quite good enough at the top level and they can't go 90 minutes without error. Shame.

Individual errors from players who are not good enough for international football cost us tonight. Ralston isn’t even good enough for his club side. I think we have to stop picking players who are not playing regularly at club level. 

1 minute ago, Jute said:

Individual errors from players who are not good enough for international football cost us tonight. Ralston isn’t even good enough for his club side. I think we have to stop picking players who are not playing regularly at club level. 

Didn’t see the game but saw all of the euros. Curious for the groups ‘unbiased’ take, ralston clearly better than devlin??

Just back from the game.

We played okay against an average side, who we've gifted the game to virtue of two daft penalties.

I'm neither impressed nor angry at them. 

Was so many average performances, from McLean, Hanley, Dykes and McGinn. The latter of which we know is capable of so much more.

Ralston I thought did okay. But he's not an attacking defender so needs a winger ahead of him, and we only got that when Doak came on.

4 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Didn’t see the game but saw all of the euros. Curious for the groups ‘unbiased’ take, ralston clearly better than devlin??

I don't think Devlin is performing at a level that makes you think he should be in the Scotland squad.

You could argue the same for Ralston, but at least he has far more experience against better opposition than Devlin has had.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Panda said:

Was so many average performances, from McLean, Hanley, Dykes and McGinn. The latter of which we know is capable of so much more

I thought McGinn was alright up until the point Clarke dropped him back. It's an error he continually makes, because he doesn't want to sub one of his better players who scores goals. The problem is that you significantly reduce the likelihood of him scoring by dropping him deep, and the way he plays the game means he regularly loses possession of the ball (either trying to win a freekick, or play a difficult cross ball). Fine, when you're high up the park, but not in front of your own defence. We just don't need to risk McGinn in that role, the negatives vastly outweigh the positives, and it's criminal that Clarke doesn't see it. If we wanted to retain McGinn, then we should have put him out left and taken the dirty Judas on to play the holding role. I know we were chasing the game, but Morgan was largely ineffective, and doesn't look to have the pace of a good winger.

10 minutes ago, Panda said:

Interesting video.

It's interesting, but reeks of someone coming to a conclusion and then trying to back it up, rather than disprove it - bad science, in other words. All his clips are from the first ten minutes, when a guy who hasn't been playing much has likely been told to feel his way into the game, get time on the ball and don't do anything silly. When we were chasing the game, Hanley did step forward more and more and was more progressive with his passing. If he'd not done his brainfart in the final minute, we'd have been describing a solid performance from the back two. The clip he shows of their goal doesn't highlight any issues with Hanley at all. In fact, it does the exact opposite, because had McLean completed his very simple pass in front of Gilmour, our depth had drawn 4-5 of their players too far up and we'd have had a good break on our hands. That may highlight a tactical reason for Hanley not progressing with the ball, but there's not enough evidence to go on because things will have changed as soon as they scored. For me the issue is, and always has been, a not match fit Hanley versus a match fit one. In the prior European campaign and part of qualifying for the most recent, Hanley was playing regularly and performing well for Scotland. He was confident on the ball (despite being limited, of course) and moved it on well. When not playing every week, he's always struggled with concentration and confidence as you'd expect. 

I'd have Porteous in every week to be honest. He's always confident (sometimes negligently!) and is fine going forward with the ball. Hanley has carved out a very decent international career for a limited player, through hard work and giving his all on the pitch, but it's time for him to step aside.

• Like 1

Comfortable 1-2 win for Spain in the end who had some really good players and way they moved ball seemed effortless at times. Mebude took his goal welll for us and looks like he might be one for future but that was probably our one real chance. Jack Milne came on for Calvin Ramsey (who played well) at right back and did struggle positionally and kept drifting inside. Just increased my concerns about cover at right back for Dons.