Saturday 19th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Celtic v Aberdeen

Scotland squad

Nips_and_Tatties

A few thoughts. Good to see doak start, lots of hope pinned on him though. Adams is on form but had a really poor euros, dykes has more of a presence as the loan striker and holds the ball up quite well. Porteous is the future (for now) and despite the Germany game has played well for Scotland, Hanley is the past.
Biased I know and Ralston has the Scotland experience, but he’s rarely played this season and has shown very little when he has played for Scotland. Devlin is fit, sharp, and full of confidence, why not give him the start? A coach with half a brain does that, or at least gives him 20 mins for the experience.

i do rate Gordon despite his age.

10 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

It should be the end of Clarke in my opinion.

I get dykes, he’s been a big performer for Clarke and Scotland over the last few years. Ralston has been piss for the most part and doesn’t play much for Celtic. The only consideration I have is that by giving doak a debut he didn’t want two newbies down one side. 

5 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

I get dykes, he’s been a big performer for Clarke and Scotland over the last few years. Ralston has been piss for the most part and doesn’t play much for Celtic. The only consideration I have is that by giving doak a debut he didn’t want two newbies down one side. 

Perhaps he's concerned that Croatia have been getting the inside on Devlin from Ante Palaversa? I expect we'll see him tearing up the Portuguese on Tuesday. With Ralston and any remaining Tims suspiciously leaving the squad early ahead of next weekend's fixture.

Edited by RicoS321

6 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Another game where we don’t see the attacking side of Andy Robertson. Been a good few games now. He also looked gassed the last 15-20 mins, and out of position for their winner. Is he past his prime??

It was crying out for Mackenzie. 

Anyway, we were okay, they were better. Gilmour was good. McLean did okay and the back two were fine. Good that Clarke played Hanley left and not souttar. However, he's fucking atrocious at making subs. That game was running away from us about ten minutes before they scored, and he just waited. Again. We had several players struggling. 

• Like 1

Didn’t think McLean and Gilmour were too bad, but looking forward to seeing a fit Ferguson in midfield. We had no sub option and ran out of gas in there too. Both Gilmour and McLean are inclined to be deeper lying, Ferguson will push on more often. We lack that legit attacking threat from center mid in addition to mctominnay.
No clue where mcginn fits in, doak did well and created for us, plus got us up the park a number of times. possibly a center mid option for mcginn, either deeper or advanced, but having two players who are legit wide players, even though Christie has been more central at club level, really helps us. 

we didn’t look out of place today but we’re walking a fine line learning from the big boys and getting confidence killed from playing tougher opponents. Sick of being plucky losers, another game where a point minimum could/should have been gained.

Edited by OrlandoDon

13 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

It was crying out for Mackenzie. 

Anyway, we were okay, they were better. Gilmour was good. McLean did okay and the back two were fine. Good that Clarke played Hanley left and not souttar. However, he's fucking atrocious at making subs. That game was running away from us about ten minutes before they scored, and he just waited. Again. We had several players struggling. 

Yup, I was implying that too without wearing my red tinted specs. We played to the left a lot and Robertson was poor in attack, we needed jack’s engine when chasing the game.

We were crying out for a central midfield sub late in the Croatia game. While droopy isn’t the answer long term, he’s not total shit.
regarding the answer, read this morning Lewis Ferguson is targeting an early November return. Earlier that I expected but very keen to see him start for Scotland.

54 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Droopy called up for Portugal game 

Not surprising really. McLean and Gilmour were out on their arses towards the end of the Croatia game with few options from the bench. I'd be surprised if he didn't get on. Despite being a dirty Judas Hun fuck.

15 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Nicky Devlin is some boy 👍

Motm performance again. Fantastic. Ronaldo will be telling everyone about the day he made his Hampden debut in the same game as Nicky Devlin made his Scotland debut. Biggest moment of his career.

A good draw against a good team. The defence were very good all night and McLean and Gilmour covered well and took the ball in extremely tight positions and retained it. Christie was okay, as was Doak and Adams worked hard. It's all ifs, but and maybes, but if Devlin had been running through, he'd have picked out McTominay. You wouldn't have wanted McTominay's early header to fall to anyone other than Jack MacKenzie, and there's no way Kevin Nisbet would have been heading Adams' chance back across goal. If Clarke had been braver, then, we'd have been looking at a 3-0 scoreline, but it wasn't to be.

59 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Motm performance again. Fantastic. Ronaldo will be telling everyone about the day he made his Hampden debut in the same game as Nicky Devlin made his Scotland debut. Biggest moment of his career.

A good draw against a good team. The defence were very good all night and McLean and Gilmour covered well and took the ball in extremely tight positions and retained it. Christie was okay, as was Doak and Adams worked hard. It's all ifs, but and maybes, but if Devlin had been running through, he'd have picked out McTominay. You wouldn't have wanted McTominay's early header to fall to anyone other than Jack MacKenzie, and there's no way Kevin Nisbet would have been heading Adams' chance back across goal. If Clarke had been braver, then, we'd have been looking at a 3-0 scoreline, but it wasn't to be.

Disappointed Clarke didn’t acknowledge devlin’s attacking talents and bring him on for Adams. Would have scored the winner.

I see mitov scored for northern Ireland tonight. 

Edited by OrlandoDon

Watched the Northern Ireland goals (I'm half Northern Irish) and Mitov had little chance with any of them.

The "own goal" was the ball hitting the post then hitting off his legs which he knew nothing about as he was mid air diving for the initial shot at the time.

Devlin: Glad he got a cap, made a nice goal saving challenge, and got to touch Ronaldo as he ran past him. And he'll still be fresh for Saturday.