Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

The January window

LA-Don

I heard Wiggy on Northsound today saying something along the lines of he's going to be backing DM in the transfer market during the window. Obviously there was no details given but was wondering where he'd be aiming to strengthen? Thoughts?

Also, notice the dhims are to offer 300k for some lad called Morgan at St Mirren. I don't know anything about him but wondering if he's a midfielder? I wouldn't imagine that would fill Christie with optimism if he was?! Still don't think Christie would sign full time with us anyway.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any chatter? Christ this winter break is as boring as the international break. Can’t say I’ve seen many names banded about.

Obviously we’ve signed mcginn which is a massive boost, surely we’ll be bringing in another body or two though?

Lesser talented of the 2 Hivs playmakers, can't say I've ever been impressed when he has played against us but old popcorn teeth seems to rate him and wants to keep him so there must be a player in there somewhere.

I presume this is the Kenny MCLean replacement.....

Has there been any chatter? Christ this winter break is as boring as the international break. Can’t say I’ve seen many names banded about.

Obviously we’ve signed mcginn which is a massive boost, surely we’ll be bringing in another body or two though?

I would think we would need to shift players out before getting anyone else in.

I would think we would need to shift players out before getting anyone else in.

Had the season not taken the course it had, I would agree, but surely with DM staying, there would have been some additional agreements within his new deal?

And I presume nobody wants the Scotland job.

:hammer:

Thought they had MacKay in place?

I don’t think McGinn was in our budget, became available and we got him. That could have been an agreement with DM and his new deal. In terms of shifting players, who do you see potentially moving? I’d recommend Maynard since McGinn and Stewart can play up top if for some reason May and Rooney are unavailable. Maybe Craig Storie? I’d argue that the performances on McKenna means Reynolds could go too. We’ve got Ball and OConnor who can cover at the back, plus Considine could obviously play in the middle.

We’ve got squad depth in all positions but aren’t that big a squad. Would like to see Harvie given a game or two at left back to see if he’s capable. I still think we’re crying out for another central midfielder. We’ve got the flair of Christie, Stewart, Wright, GMS, and McGinn, we need another Shinnie/Flood type. Happy to see McLean punted if we get this player. I’d say Tansey is the back up, not a regular starter when fit.

Any suggestions on who??

I don’t think McGinn was in our budget, became available and we got him. That could have been an agreement with DM and his new deal. In terms of shifting players, who do you see potentially moving? I’d recommend Maynard since McGinn and Stewart can play up top if for some reason May and Rooney are unavailable. Maybe Craig Storie? I’d argue that the performances on McKenna means Reynolds could go too. We’ve got Ball and OConnor who can cover at the back, plus Considine could obviously play in the middle.

We’ve got squad depth in all positions but aren’t that big a squad. Would like to see Harvie given a game or two at left back to see if he’s capable. I still think we’re crying out for another central midfielder. We’ve got the flair of Christie, Stewart, Wright, GMS, and McGinn, we need another Shinnie/Flood type. Happy to see McLean punted if we get this player. I’d say Tansey is the back up, not a regular starter when fit.

Any suggestions on who??

Do we have a back up for Right back though? I'd say that's definitely a position we need more depth in. If only to try and lure the best out of Logan again.

Can't believe we've nae bought 3 centre mids and a striker yet. Fuck sake.

Maynard, Ball and Storie out for me (I'd give Tansey until the summer just in case he's not pish). That would do nicely. If we can't find a striker, then get McLennan back fae Brechin and give him Maynard's minutes to make it worthwhile (560+ minutes, or 6 games). I think that there is a risk that May will be injured enough that a third striker is definitely required.

Centre mid has to be the priority if we can get one though. I think we'll struggle in January to get someone of the right calibre, but perhaps a loan or something will come up. I can't think of anyone in the SPL that's good enough. I don't rate Dylan McGeouch at all, that's like replacing Jack with Tansey for me. He's nowhere near as good as McLean as was shown recently when McLean and Shinnie dominated McGinn and McGeouch. On McLean, we shouldn't be letting him anywhere near the door until we have a very good replacement in, and I doubt we'll do that in January. It would be extremely risky to let him go given our record in the transfer market lately. We need to be signing 3 midfielders to perhaps get two good ones if we're lucky. If we get one in this window, that'll give us the option to move Shinnie to left back, then we aim for a McLean replacement in the summer. We have to be realistic, and realistically we'd be a far worse squad without McLean than with. Priority should be ensuring that we don't have to play O'Connor in midfield too often, and Shinnie at left back most often.

Had the season not taken the course it had, I would agree, but surely with DM staying, there would have been some additional agreements within his new deal?

Thought they had MacKay in place?

MacKay is only the interim manager and has already said he does not want the job full time.

SELL McLean to Sevco?

No chance of actually getting any money off of those bastards.

Agreed

Think they've shown their intention by signing Luke & Matt's brother yesterday on loan until end of the season.

(Kind of embarassing that I'd know what they're called)  :laughing:

Don't see right back as a priority right now. Sadly Shay has been average at best and Ball can fill in there. That's a summer priority I think.

Ball can cover at right back, central defense, and in midfield. Worth keeping as a worst scenario for now.

Priority is definitely center midfield. I don't see Shinnie's as a left back any more. I'd like us to try Harvie in the next few months and maybe get a left back this summer if needed. I think Shinnie is one of the best central midfielders in the league now, it's a waste to put him at left back despite being good there too. We need someone to partner Shinnie behind our front 4.

Not a good window to sign players, I certainly agree, but Celtic have dropped points in 7 games so far, us 9. A couple of good signings could make things interesting. Not quite the situation of a couple of seasons ago but Celtic are not that strong.

Agree re Christie we should offer 500k and be prepared to go up to 800k to get him in. However with his performances for us surely English Championship clubs will have taken notice who might offer 1 million plus......and offer wages double that we could realistically pay. Our only chance I feel is to act now. If we leave it to summer then I think we will have missed the boat.

Agree re Christie we should offer 500k and be prepared to go up to 800k to get him in. However with his performances for us surely English Championship clubs will have taken notice who might offer 1 million plus......and offer wages double that we could realistically pay. Our only chance I feel is to act now. If we leave it to summer then I think we will have missed the boat.

Totally, you snooze you loose. Much like Moult, he’ll play well until May and we’ll not be able to afford him. Let’s try to get him now.

Rumours of Shinnie signing a new deal and McLean signing an extension to allow us to get a fee. Would be pleased with both

Edit:  I hadn't realised Shinnie was only contracted to next season anyway, we really want to get him signed up on a proper deal.

Rumours of Shinnie signing a new deal and McLean signing an extension to allow us to get a fee. Would be pleased with both

Edit:  I hadn't realised Shinnie was only contracted to next season anyway, we really want to get him signed up on a proper deal.

Have heard the Shinnie rumour but not Mclean.

Struggle to believe about McLean.

Would like to hear of a contract extension for Frank Ross also.