Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Summer Transfer chat

manc_don

That is the tactic that brought about the Bosman ruling.

If Rooney was unhappy and wanted to leave then even with several years on a contract he was going to go. Agents, and if necessary lawyers will find a way out of any contract

Now if someone can find evidence of Rooney being 'pushed out' against his wishes then I will jump on the bandwagon of club bashing.

This is hardly the Dodds/ Winters betrayal.

Stevie May to find form and 21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Down South Rooney to start enjoing his football again

Aberdeen fans to continue in their quest to be the most negative in the country if not europe.

You don’t think we have a right to be worried, and express it? Are you happy with the current squad with the season starting very soon?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can barely name the squad these days but as far as I recall Rooney was not the lynch pin of last seasons 2nd place finish and every week someone seemed to be having a go at McLean yet now he is away panic has set in almost as if we didnt know that was going to happen.

Frankly Im amazed its taken this long for Rooney to find himself another club given he seemed to spend most of last seaoson on the bench and being brought on when there was either nothing left to play for, or having no time whatsoever. His 11 goals came in 8 games - St Johnstone (4), Partick (2), Ross County (2), Kilmarnock (1), St mirren (1) & Dundee United (1).

Squads change, players leave (whether the club wants them to or not) but the dons plough on.

Given my reputation it may seem strange to see me say this but get a grip some of ya.

Rather than panicking about the players who have left, why not concentrate on supporting the players who have arrived, or perhaps even the players we already have?

McInnes has hinted that the cash from Rooney may allow for 2 more players so lets see what he can do

I can barely name the squad these days but as far as I recall Rooney was not the lynch pin of last seasons 2nd place finish and every week someone seemed to be having a go at McLean yet now he is away panic has set in almost as if we didnt know that was going to happen.

Frankly Im amazed its taken this long for Rooney to find himself another club given he seemed to spend most of last seaoson on the bench and being brought on when there was either nothing left to play for, or having no time whatsoever. His 11 goals came in 8 games - St Johnstone (4), Partick (2), Ross County (2), Kilmarnock (1), St mirren (1) & Dundee United (1).

Squads change, players leave (whether the club wants them to or not) but the dons plough on.

Given my reputation it may seem strange to see me say this but get a grip some of ya.

Rather than panicking about the players who have left, why not concentrate on supporting the players who have arrived, or perhaps even the players we already have?

McInnes has hinted that the cash from Rooney may allow for 2 more players so lets see what he can do

the thing is where did May and Gosgroves goals come from? Natural goal scorers are a rarity so good luck DM

I’m not concerned about the actuality of Rooney leaving, it’s the fact that it’s another experienced player leaving and our season starts next week. We’ve lost/punted Stewart, OConnor, Arneson, McLean, Christie, Rooney, Rogers, and Maynard, six of those playing regularly. We’ve added Devlin who hasn’t played in a year and who is already carrying an injury, Forrester and Gleeson who I think will do well, and an 18 year old Ferguson. Of the recruits last year GMS is greatly inconsistent and a step or two down from Hayes, and May has so far failed to produce his St Johnstone form. Add Cosgrove to that, a youngster who doesn’t look like ever scoring. Fuck knows what happened to Tansey.

Please share specifics of what we should be optimistic about. We have three big games coming up, multiple injuries in a tiny squad, and losing Rooney just makes our squad even lighter.

That is the tactic that brought about the Bosman ruling.

If Rooney was unhappy and wanted to leave then even with several years on a contract he was going to go. Agents, and if necessary lawyers will find a way out of any contract

Now if someone can find evidence of Rooney being 'pushed out' against his wishes then I will jump on the bandwagon of club bashing.

This is hardly the Dodds/ Winters betrayal.

Stevie May to find form and 21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Down South Rooney to start enjoing his football again

Aberdeen fans to continue in their quest to be the most negative in the country if not europe.

Some common sense being spoken here. Whilst it is disappointing that we may not have a new striker and defender signed in time for the Burnley games things need to be put in perspective. The transfer window opened if I recall at the beginning of this month  when most players contracts ended. It doesn't close for another 6 weeks. 

Still time to get in the players that we need. I agree it would have been better to have a full squad before the competitive games began but that just doesn't seem to have been possible. I have no doubt that the management team won't have been sitting on their backsides over the last week or two.

One of our biggest assets in the last few seasons has been the togetherness of the squad, and the fans. A feeling of unity amongst everyone connected with the club - fuelled by rangers demise and a series of 2nd place finishes, these have been relatively good times. The unity has gone. Season ticket sales are down. Fans are bickering on social media and turning away from the club....the whole mood around the place has taken a pessimistic turn.

This is a dangerous period for the dons. While the board commit millions to future infrastructure, the bread and butter side of the business seems to have been neglected. And all this despite the DNA promises of more football investment.

My worry is that rangers will get a massive lift from Gerrard. He is unproven, and he could be gone in a matter of months if they don’t get results. But their fans have bought into it big time, and they have unity and momentum going into the season - giving them a huge advantage in my opinion. So far our board have done nothing to ignite the passion of the fans and try to build on last season’s ‘success’.

I’m an optimist, but even I need to see some sort of ambition in the coming days - we’re in danger of imploding very very soon.  :frown:

Some common sense being spoken here. Whilst it is disappointing that we may not have a new striker and defender signed in time for the Burnley games things need to be put in perspective. The transfer window opened if I recall at the beginning of this month  when most players contracts ended. It doesn't close for another 6 weeks. 

Still time to get in the players that we need. I agree it would have been better to have a full squad before the competitive games began but that just doesn't seem to have been possible. I have no doubt that the management team won't have been sitting on their backsides over the last week or two.

Yes the window opened at the beginning of the month but we knew the situation we’d be in months ago, give or take a player or two. While I don’t expect us to have a final squad by now, we do not appear to be in a good situation. We have EIGHT experienced Aberdeen players, 4 more in McKenna, Ball, Cosgrove, and Wright who are 22 or younger, and 4 new signings, one who hasn’t played in a year and one an 18 year old. That is 16 players, a number who are injured, and includes one goalkeeper. For the supposed second best team in Scotland, that is an absolute shambles given the season starts next week. Am I expecting too much from a professional organization with high ambitions?

Togetherness?

The squad are only employees and the fans are only customers.

Customers are important, especially when you want more money from them.

What's more, they've split their customers up into numerous different levels of importance.

To an extent this has always happened.

There's been a 50 club

It's been a wee bit dearer to sit in the main stand.

A lot of that though was driven by the customers themselves, this is different.

There's marketing going on.

I hate being marketed too.

We seem to be working within a small pool of buyable players of a decent standard. Only upside might be bring forced to blood more youngsters. Wouldn't be averse to signing up the best of young Scottish talent, and allowing a season or so of mid table mediocrity as long as we could see some signs of progress.

Whether they would be allowed the time am not sure , going by some of the pant wetting across  the forums

We've all been crying out for McInnes to blood the youngsters.

It's really the only way forward for a club like Aberdeen.

This has the feeling of desperation though.

I certainly hope that we have the new Simpson, Cooper, Hewitt, Black, McLeish etc. just waiting for their chance.

We seem to be working within a small pool of buyable players of a decent standard. Only upside might be bring forced to blood more youngsters. Wouldn't be averse to signing up the best of young Scottish talent, and allowing a season or so of mid table mediocrity as long as we could see some signs of progress.

Whether they would be allowed the time am not sure , going by some of the pant wetting across  the forums

Sensible post, but the self entitled whingers would never allow it.

I'd love to agree with this but can envisage that we get these young players in on 2-3 year contracts, suffer 7th or worse place finishes but see definite progress and just when we are about to flourish, these young players fuck off to English Championship/League 1 teams for twice the wages we can offer and leaving us back where we started.

I'd love to agree with this but can envisage that we get these young players in on 2-3 year contracts, suffer 7th or worse place finishes but see definite progress and just when we are about to flourish, these young players fuck off to English Championship/League 1 teams for twice the wages we can offer and leaving us back where we started.

Possibly, but it's  only one, slightly pessimistic, angle.Firstly,we lose players all the time, Inc during fergies time, but i f we did look like we were a young team on the up, players would be more reluctant to leave. If we became seen as a team that bloods young players it would be easier to attract more,and I think the fans could relate more to that type of team.

Youth isn't Dereks strong point but a change of strategy might be a shot in the arm for him and us.

I’m not concerned about the actuality of Rooney leaving, it’s the fact that it’s another experienced player leaving and our season starts next week. We’ve lost/punted Stewart, OConnor, Arneson, McLean, Christie, Rooney, Rogers, and Maynard, six of those playing regularly. We’ve added Devlin who hasn’t played in a year and who is already carrying an injury, Forrester and Gleeson who I think will do well, and an 18 year old Ferguson. Of the recruits last year GMS is greatly inconsistent and a step or two down from Hayes, and May has so far failed to produce his St Johnstone form. Add Cosgrove to that, a youngster who doesn’t look like ever scoring. Fuck knows what happened to Tansey.

Please share specifics of what we should be optimistic about. We have three big games coming up, multiple injuries in a tiny squad, and losing Rooney just makes our squad even lighter.

I agree that the squad is a little light at the moment, but lets look at who we actually lost

Stewart  - League appearances 16 starts, 12 as a sub

OConnor - League appearances 37 starts, 1 as a sub

Arneson - League appearances 16 starts, 5 as a sub

McLean - League appearances 37 starts, 0 as a sub

Christie  - League appearances 28 starts, 4 as a sub

Rooney - League appearances 16 starts, 19 as a sub

Rogers - League appearances 2 starts, 1 as a sub

Maynard - League appearances 2 starts, 18 as a sub

Only 3 of those players were actually playing with any regularity. Let's not forget Nwakali who was absolute shite and managed 3 league starts and 2 sub appearances and Tansey who has burned his bridges and had 8 starts.

In terms of ability we lost 2 decent players, McLean and Christie. I'm not saying that we are in a decent place in terms of the squad at the moment and we need some squad players to make up for what's been lost, but the main areas where most fans thought needed strengthened last season still need strengthened, left back, squad player for right back cover and a goalscorer. 

I agree that the squad is a little light at the moment, but lets look at who we actually lost

Only 3 of those players were actually playing with any regularity. Let's not forget Nwakali who was absolute shite and managed 3 league starts and 2 sub appearances and Tansey who has burned his bridges and had 8 starts.

In terms of ability we lost 2 decent players, McLean and Christie. I'm not saying that we are in a decent place in terms of the squad at the moment and we need some squad players to make up for what's been lost, but the main areas where most fans thought needed strengthened last season still need strengthened, left back, squad player for right back cover and a goalscorer.

Wow, O'Connor played in every league game last season? Didn't realise that.

On the basis of your list, Devlin replaces O'Connor, Gleeson and Ferguson replace McLean and Forrester replaces Christie. We're definitely light squad-wise but the first team isn't exactly a disaster and there are still six weeks left in the window.

Given that Christie only played anything worth a fuck in the first half of the season and McLean the second, we are actually only one player down on last season.

So in actual fact, we are up already.

Bring on the new season.

Former Aberdeen star Adam Rooney caught in middle of bitter row between Gary Neville and Accrington owner Andy Holt over Salford move

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2957509/adam-rooney-gary-neville-andy-holt-salford-aberdeen-accrington/

The wages that a team in the fifth-tier of English football can pay out is beyond belief. Can not blame Rooney for moving for £5K a week.

That's an interesting spin on it but starter or sub it doesn't matter. It's time on the field that needs to be taken by someone else. Here's my take -

You are 100% right, we need a right back to compete with, push, even replace Shay. He has peaked and is getting worse. We need a left back, Considine is ahead of Shay in terms of decline and is a back up central defender/left back at best. And yes, we obviously need a striker. So that's 3.

Stewart  - 28 appearances - replaced by youth (Ross?)

OConnor - 38 appearances - replaced by existing (Ball/Reynolds/Campbell/right back signing)

Arneson - 21 appearances - replaced by Devlin

McLean - 37 appearances - replaced by Gleeson

Christie  - 32 appearances - replaced by Forrester

Rooney - 35 appearances - SIGNING NEEDED

Rogers - 3 appearances - replaced by youth (Craddock?)

Maynard - 20 appearances - replaced by youth (Anderson)

Stockley/Storey - x appearances - replaced by Cosgrove

Tansey/Nwakali - x appearances - replaced by Ferguson (although I'd keep Tansey as back up)

I'd see Wright playing more as back up and to push GMS and McGinn, although ideally if we signed players I'd send Wright out on loan to get regular minutes. Saying that I still think all 3 are too inconsistent and a signing would help. I'd also like Campbell to get the experience backing up in central midfield.

That, to me, is a balance of youth and experience. To be a solid team expected to do well in league and cups, we are 4-5 good players short.

My prediction about Danny Ward is about to go up in smoke.........apparently about to sign for Leicester for £12million......

Woodman it is then.....

Haha, though of you this morning but didn't say anything. Sadly I see Woodman costing a similar amount in the future. What's shitty about the market is that Lewis is as good or better than both in my eyes but would we ever get that amount of money...

Haha, though of you this morning but didn't say anything. Sadly I see Woodman costing a similar amount in the future. What's shitty about the market is that Lewis is as good or better than both in my eyes but would we ever get that amount of money...

Ward & Woodman both have time on their side though. Lewis, whilst not old, wouldn't command a fee that substantial due to his performances at previous clubs in where he failed to really take himself to the next level. For what it's worth, I think he'd do a job at a mid table premier league club no bother.

And to be even more of a snide prick lads, I must pick both of you up on your spelling of Arnason, not Arneson, sorry  :( ( Yes, I'm a cunt )

I would also add that as good as joe is he has a mistake in him from time to time.  Ward never really put a foot wrong and I think he will go on to be a very successful goalie.  Woodman I have no idea, didn't see enough of him to make a real judgement. 

Re Wright from an earlier post I think he has to be given a real chance this season and touch wood he will take it. Hopefully the competition will spur gms on too. I was pondering whilst walking the dog earlier that perhaps McKenna's successful introduction to thw squad and the manner of his introduction (after the 3-0 qf horsing to mwell) has given DM a bit more confidence in giving youth a chance.

I would also add that as good as joe is he has a mistake in him from time to time.  Ward never really put a foot wrong and I think he will go on to be a very successful goalie.  Woodman I have no idea, didn't see enough of him to make a real judgement. 

Re Wright from an earlier post I think he has to be given a real chance this season and touch wood he will take it. Hopefully the competition will spur gms on too. I was pondering whilst walking the dog earlier that perhaps McKenna's successful introduction to thw squad and the manner of his introduction (after the 3-0 qf horsing to mwell) has given DM a bit more confidence in giving youth a chance.

I think we lucked out with McKenna. He wasn’t strong at Ayr and was thrown in at the deep end here after being horsed by Motherwell. For the first x games he never put a foot wrong and the rest is history. Wright needs to do likewise. Between form or a lack of and injury he’ll get his chance this year. I’m curious to what happens with McGinn, turned 31 and is he as good or in decline too? Regardless, if he’s not sent on loan, this is the year for Wright or he becomes the next Peter Pawlett.