Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Summer Transfer chat

manc_don

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a deadline for registering players for the Europa League? Seem to remember this being mentioned last season or the season before?

If so, we are obviously nearing that & I am not convinced we are where we should be in terms of a first 11.

A lot of panic doing the rounds on Social Media that McInnes has failed to land his primary targets and now other's are not so keen to join, not sure anyone could know that for definite, probably just folks being impatient. Nowak is allegedly being announced today, but he'll clearly be back up.

May not mean much to most of you, but I live in LA and watched an interview with Magic Johnston and Rob Pelinka last night, the two guys who run the LA Lakers basketball team and just signed Lebron James. They talked about their recruiting plan for when free agency (transfer window) opened July 1. They talked about plan A and the dominos that would fall if they signed the players they wanted and who else they signed from there, but also plan B, C, D etc. They explained this took months of planning and research to get the players they wanted, but that they'd numerous charts/lists on their walls depending on every direction free agency/transfers went. It sounded like they had planned for EVERYTHING.

It got me thinking as I watched, what does Aberdeen do? I always get the feeling we've got two or three guys we want and if we don't get them we tend to be fucked. Last summer we pretty much got who we wanted but this summer, what the fuck is going on?

First team regulars out - 7 - OConnor, Arneson, McLean, Ball, Stewart, Christie (Maynard) - That's 6 or 7 guys if you include Maynard that need replaced. That's experience.

We've replaced McLean and Christie with Gleeson and Forrester. We're gambling on Devlin fully recovering, and the only other signing, while looking good so far, is 18. I guess you include Cosgrove in there but so far that's a forward who looks incapable of scoring.

Surely we have detailed strategy and planning for summer signings????

Trying to figure out what we have so far, feel free to add the youngsters that appear to be first team squad now -

GK - Lewis, Rogers

Right back - Logan

Right central defender - Devlin

Left Central defender - McKenna, Reynolds, (Considine)

Left back - Considine, (Shinnie)

Right mid - McGinn, Frank Ross

Central mid - Gleeson, Shinnie, Campbell, Ferguson

Attacking mid - Forrester

Left mid - GMS, Wright

Forward - May, Rooney, Cosgrove

That's a squad of 19. Paper thin, good if we have no injuries and players are on form. Asking a lot from McGinn and GMS this year, two of our most inconsistent players. We complain about youngsters not being given a chance but this definitely means we're relying on youth. At the very least we need 3 - right/central defender, an attacking mid like Christie who can play right/left/center, and a forward who actually worries an opponent. I wouldn't be surprised to see another loan deal from Celtic once they get one or two more signings in, maybe Morgan or Allan. I'd take Ball back as cover. Stewart too if we're stuck. Shitty situation here, hopefully DM pulls out some surprises but this is a really thin squad and the Burnley games aren't far away.

That's a rather strange one, we are short of numbers as it is, Rogers is good enough to be back up to Lewis, and now means we'll be looking to use more of the budget on a good enough back up now, I would imagine anyway. Where's Freddie Woodman away too?

From memory McInnes said the Woodman deal was pretty expensive if he was not playing so cannot see us going back for him just to be a back up. Cannot see Newcastle agreeing to send him out as back up either. They will want him to be playing. Very odd move from Dons at a time when we need to be concentrating on other areas of the field that need strengthening.

From memory McInnes said the Woodman deal was pretty expensive if he was not playing so cannot see us going back for him just to be a back up. Cannot see Newcastle agreeing to send him out as back up either. They will want him to be playing. Very odd move from Dons at a time when we need to be concentrating on other areas of the field that need strengthening.

Taken from the BBC Sport article....

Aberdeen say Rogers is "regarded as a future number one" and can recall the player outside transfer windows, should they wish to do so.

So we can recall him at any time? Might just go with with one of the development lads as back up on the bench then,and recall Rogers should Lewis pick up any knocks, probably unlikely, but never know.

Seems sensible to me. Did well at Dumbarton, not so well at Falkirk. Now he’s a couple of years older, a whole season playing in the SPL will either show him up as not being good enough or cement his position as the successor to Lewis.

If he is to be our future first choice keeper then we need him to get as many top league games under his belt as we can until the time comes for him to take over. He’s not going to progress sitting on the bench for another season.

God I hope this is the calm before the storm and we have a bunch of new guys coming in and we live happily ever after. Hibs have two boys I’d have happily signed and they scored 5 of their 6 yesterday. Notice Jason Cumming just signed a loan deal with Peterborough, another I’d have considered.

Anything positive or optimistic on the transfer front right now??

Totally surprised Rogers is away on loan again, especially to a club in the same league :dunno:

Presume that means he cant play against us ?  I also presume we already have another keeper in mind ?

Got to say our lack of transfer activity is quite alarming :o

Assuming he’s going as their number one I think it’s a really good thing. Gets top league experience but won’t play against us, and can get recalled. I’m still baffled as to why, if we regard him so highly, that he didn’t take over as #1 when Lewis was injured.

Assuming he’s going as their number one I think it’s a really good thing. Gets top league experience but won’t play against us, and can get recalled. I’m still baffled as to why, if we regard him so highly, that he didn’t take over as #1 when Lewis was injured.

Cos he is the cheap option. Really cannot see him ever becoming our first choice keeper, presume we put an U20 on the bench this season and recall him should Joe get injured. St Boo I'd imagine are covering 100% of his wages in the meantime.

If/when Joe leaves we will try to get Danny Ward or Woodman in permanently

Cos he is the cheap option. Really cannot see him ever becoming our first choice keeper, presume we put an U20 on the bench this season and recall him should Joe get injured. St Boo I'd imagine are covering 100% of his wages in the meantime.

If/when Joe leaves we will try to get Danny Ward or Woodman in permanently

That doesn’t make sense to me. If we didn’t rate Rogers we’d have released him. As for Ward or Woodman permanently, what are you smoking? That will never happen. Both are regarded highly enough to play at a higher level and earn way more than we can offer. We couldn’t even attract McGeough or Marquis!

Both are considered 3rd choice at their respective clubs ( though we will see if what dons8321 says regarding Ward actually happens). Woodman is still young enough to wait for his chance but Ward is now of an age where he has to become a number one choice, I think Liverpool will buy a new 'keeper shortly and Ward will at best be back up.

There's no great hurry for us to do anything but I do suspect Joe will get a better offer than we can match when his contract expires, probably from a mid level Championship side. By then it will be clear about both Ward and Woodman as to how their careers are likely to pan out. If we were willing to pay 10k a week to McGeouch we could certainly do so for one of them, though i suspect Woodman is on nowhere near that at present.

We won't find out the answer to this one for a good while but I stick to my assertation.....Rodgers will never be our first choice keeper (and I'll deliver a big "told you so" when I'm proved right  :thumbsup:)

5th Tier in English Football, crazy. But he'd be a fantastic signing for them, managed by Graham Alexander.

Would it mean we are after 2 strikers then, given that we're after one now, or has this been in the making for a few weeks now? Would definitely be sad to see him go, but I think his limits are preventing us pushing on in terms of what's required.

Cosgrove is decent enough at holding the ball up, Rooney is a decent goalscorer, and not quite sure what May is yet. But in reality, we're losing ( IF he goes ) our only natural finisher, unless May reverts to form this season.