Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Summer Transfer chat

manc_don

Both can link play and assist others to score. Rooney couldn't.....ergo he's been punted

Saw very little evidence of that last season. Cosgrove has looked every inch a player who could not score in the conference north and that has not changed in preseason games I have seen this year. May provided some assists mainly to Rooney.

Surely the main purpose of a striker is to score goals. Most teams would kill for a striker who only scores tap ins.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw very little evidence of that last season. Cosgrove has looked every inch a player who could not score in the conference north and that has not changed in preseason games I have seen this year. May provided some assists mainly to Rooney.

Surely the main purpose of a striker is to score goals. Most teams would kill for a striker who only scores tap ins.

Drivel.

Cosgrove only really played post split, was very handy at Parkhead as a target man (something Rooney isn't) and in the Hearts home game (where he linked well with May, something Rooney couldn't do). Need to give people a chance rather than whinge constantly.

You can go so far with a striker who only scores tap ins, but a striker who is perhaps more complete and can do other things too is what we're now after.

May has had his chance he was pish last year, Cosgrove aint the answer , our scouting and signing continues to be poor

It's funny how Cosgrove played a big part in the successful run in last season, including a good performance at Parkhead, yet you're dismissing him. Especially since the tap in king was nowhere to be seen.

Anyway on a different tack......and this one might get me a wheen o' Durrants. We know we need cover for Logan but left back is also a big problem, DM steadfastly refuses to play Shinnie there except in dire emergency and we all know Consi just isnt up to the job when facing anyone with a modicum of pace.

Now sevco have 4 left backs vying for one spot. Looks like the wife beater Flanagan will be 1st choice. Lee Wallace is persona non grata around Ibrokes these days probably considered 4th choice behind Hodson. Honestly thought Fartz would make a move to try to get him in but theyve signed everyone else in the world but him it seems.

Should we make a move? Even a year on loan initially we could prob afford to pay 50% of his wages and sure sevco would be glad to get him out the door.

Cosgrove was good after the split, he put himself about, he just lacked a goal. I don't mind having him in and around the squad, he will be handy in certain games.

May, well the jury is still out. He needs a run of 15 or so games, in where he getting opportunities in front of goal, to see if he can rediscover form or not.

What cannot be denied though, is that we can't go into a new season with Stevie May and Sam Cosgrove as our only 2 Strikers, McInnes has confirmed today we are looking at signing another forward and right sided defender, let's just hope they are here and ready for the season starting.

Anyway on a different tack......and this one might get me a wheen o' Durrants. We know we need cover for Logan but left back is also a big problem, DM steadfastly refuses to play Shinnie there except in dire emergency and we all know Consi just isnt up to the job when facing anyone with a modicum of pace.

Now sevco have 4 left backs vying for one spot. Looks like the wife beater Flanagan will be 1st choice. Lee Wallace is persona non grata around Ibrokes these days probably considered 4th choice behind Hodson. Honestly thought Fartz would make a move to try to get him in but theyve signed everyone else in the world but him it seems.

Should we make a move? Even a year on loan initially we could prob afford to pay 50% of his wages and sure sevco would be glad to get him out the door.

If we  borrowed a player from the Hun then I would burn (melt) my season ticket.

Drivel.

Cosgrove only really played post split, was very handy at Parkhead as a target man (something Rooney isn't) and in the Hearts home game (where he linked well with May, something Rooney couldn't do). Need to give people a chance rather than whinge constantly.

You can go so far with a striker who only scores tap ins, but a striker who is perhaps more complete and can do other things too is what we're now after.

So how many goals came from this great partnership post split. I mean they must have got one between them for it to have been such a great partnership.

So how many goals came from this great partnership post split. I mean they must have got one between them for it to have been such a great partnership.

Linked well I said. Shows signs of promise, rather than our whole attacking play being geared towards putting the ball in front of a declining striker in the six yard box.

I would like to think that over the last 5 years or so that we have evolved from being a team that has a striker in the starting 11 on the basis that he “puts himself about” and “holds the ball up well”.

I haven’t seen anything from Cosgrove that suggests his role should be anything more than taking over the “we’re out of ideas, let’s thump the ball up to the big man for the last 10 minutes” role that Ash Taylor previously occupied.

I think there's a player in Cosgrove and there is defo a player in May.  I'm wondering if Dm is thinking about Anderson getting more game time this season or giving mcginn a more centrap role and putting wright out wide.  Don't get me wrong I  would like to see a new striker come in though.  Re wallace?  No.  Just no.  Fucking hun issues aside he's too injury prone and is 30 now.  Would love to see a new lb more than any other position in all honesty.

I would like to think that over the last 5 years or so that we have evolved from being a team that has a striker in the starting 11 on the basis that he “puts himself about” and “holds the ball up well”.

I haven’t seen anything from Cosgrove that suggests his role should be anything more than taking over the “we’re out of ideas, let’s thump the ball up to the big man for the last 10 minutes” role that Ash Taylor previously occupied.

You don't think things like pressing and holding the ball up are important attributes for a striker to have, especially in a where we won't likely have the majority of the ball?

The salient point here isn't that Cosgrove and May have been incredible because they haven't been yet, it's that physically Rooney cannot press or hold the ball up.

The importance of those attributes is diluted somewhat when that is a striker’s only attributes.

Hence why McInnes is perhaps looking for a more complete striker as his top man upfront, rather than a number of individuasl who can only hold it up/score tap ins/run about but contribute little else.

I think there's a player in Cosgrove and there is defo a player in May.  I'm wondering if Dm is thinking about Anderson getting more game time this season or giving mcginn a more centrap role and putting wright out wide.  Don't get me wrong I  would like to see a new striker come in though.  Re wallace?  No.  Just no.  Fucking hun issues aside he's too injury prone and is 30 now.  Would love to see a new lb more than any other position in all honesty.

Agree with most of that.Only thing I'm not sure about is whether Cosgrove has a strikers instinct in him waiting to be teased out,or that it isnt atcually there in the first place.Half the problem I think has been the lack of supply to the strikers,with an inconsistent GMS and Stewart (who wasnt a natural winger),and therefore unfair to be over critical.Would also be keen to see what McGinn could do as a partner to May or Cosgrove,with possibly Wright out wide or AN other

Convincing Shinnie we need him at left back(not his favoured position),....and assuming the new midfield are upto the task,eg Ball and Gleeson sitting,with Forrester further forward?,...curious to see what that line up does with an addition or 2 here and there

Do you really see rangers doing business with McInnes/Aberdeen given what happened with DM?

Gutted Rooneys left, awful business by the club. All this all he does is scores tap ins and penalties.... :hammer: :hammer: goal scorers score fuckin goals. Now we don’t have any goal scorers. What  the fuck is all that about? Unless McLnnes has this covered it’s a big fuck up by the club.

Gutted Rooneys left, awful business by the club. All this all he does is scores tap ins and penalties.... :hammer: :hammer: goal scorers score fuckin goals. Now we don’t have any goal scorers. What  the fuck is all that about? Unless McLnnes has this covered it’s a big fuck up by the club.

We've arguably lost our 3 best/most influential players in the last 12 months in Hayes, McLean, and Rooney. For all Rooney's flaws he scored goals and it's no coincidence last year was more of a struggle in attack - we scored 18 less goals in the league with no Hayes and Rooney playing less (not the only reason but significant.)

GMS is not as good as Hayes, no clue if Ferguson or Forrester will be as influential as McLean, and Rooney's goals have to come from somewhere - May and/or Cosgrove do not look like the answer so far. The club's wage bill must be SIGNIFICANTLY less with all the players gone, surely we should expect more than a forward and right sided defender to come in?

I know silence and no news kills us all but this is not good stuff right now, especially with Burnley NEXT WEEK!

Do you really see rangers doing business with McInnes/Aberdeen given what happened with DM?

I think they'd do business with anyone to get Wallace out the door. Perhaps you have missed what happened with Miller and Wallace at the back end of last season but there seems to be no way back for him at Mordor and I believe they are both taking legal action over the club fines sevco imposed.

And that’s the shite I don’t want to hear. He’s our player and we don’t sell until it’s suits us. That didn’t appear to happen.....unless we were offered a good transfer see but ‘good’ is certainly subjective.

That is the tactic that brought about the Bosman ruling.

If Rooney was unhappy and wanted to leave then even with several years on a contract he was going to go. Agents, and if necessary lawyers will find a way out of any contract

Now if someone can find evidence of Rooney being 'pushed out' against his wishes then I will jump on the bandwagon of club bashing.

This is hardly the Dodds/ Winters betrayal.

Stevie May to find form and 21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Down South Rooney to start enjoing his football again

Aberdeen fans to continue in their quest to be the most negative in the country if not europe.