Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours of another "big announcement" at the AGM tonight. But when I read that it was "McInnes resigning" it confirmed that it was nonsense. Scotland will vote Yes before he walks away from this job. He's well aware he'll never have a better one.

He's got an easy ride, why rock the boat.  Only thing would be if Cormack et al don't agree with him.

Heard so many supporters say things will have changed for Mcinnes now Cormack is in charge. Some claiming that he is no fan of DM like Wiggy was. How naïve of them to think that Cormack wasn't involved in signing off on Deek's new contract in the summer.

We are stuck with him for the foreseeable

Heard so many supporters say things will have changed for Mcinnes now Cormack is in charge. Some claiming that he is no fan of DM like Wiggy was. How naïve of them to think that Cormack wasn't involved in signing off on Deek's new contract in the summer.

We are stuck with him for the foreseeable

I think that would have been the case given his position in the club at the time. It would be a bit crazy to think he wasn't. I think the important question is whether Cormack will give him a free ride or not and I suspect he won't (in the same way as Milne would). Will he put in the type of performance measurements that really challenge McInnes in terms of his return in the transfer market and his style of play and so on? The good thing is that there are clear areas for improvement that should be obvious to anyone with any footballing knowledge and a business head. I'd expect Cormack to address that and if that can't be achieved with McInnes then we move on with clear and obvious objectives for both doing so and moving forward.

That's important. The ridiculous simplicity with which we discuss "McInnes resigning" mid season (at this point specifically) is difficult for me to understand. From a footballing perspective, it would make little sense and from a business perspective it would be idiotic. There's a strong chance that McInnes will get us to finish third. That's fine in league terms, and to be expected from a squad of our strength. If McInnes left right now, then we'd collapse. There'd be a munity, and the players would - rightly - see it as a slight on them as well as the manager. We'd slide down the table pretty quickly, with the press joining in with the "reckless" accusations. It would be a fairly stupid move. Unless there was significant January investment to back it up of course, to allow a decent clearout and new signings. Even then, the timing would be fairly high risk.

The summer, however, is a different story. There is the time to plan for succession, the time to sign - and availability of - new players. The time to put a good structure in place that takes the onus off the importance of the manager and onto the strategy of the club. The time to explain to both the players and fans the plan going forward and the reasons for not having McInnes as part of that. That can all start now (or next year!) of course so that if a decision does need to be made then it's not a surprise.

As a club, we need to be very very clear as to the reasons we'd get rid of McInnes and the way forward as a club and the type of manager required to replace him. Getting rid of JC was the correct decision, but it was blatantly obvious it occurred on a whim with no obvious strategy for succession (not just for JC, but for all managers, as Brown was a knee-jerk too). Because of this, there were a significant minority of supporters and media folks who weren't onboard with it despite the atrocious run of 10-15 games without a good win. I don't believe Cormack will yet be in a position to make a decision as key as this and I think it'd be stupid to do anything this season unless there is justification through league position (sitting 5-6th in March). That, to me, would be the most pragmatic approach and best business decision.

No surprise to anyone, but DM has confirmed that Gleeson will be away in January and would have been away in the summer if not for the injury he picked up.

A very bad signing for us and I would imagine that both he a Forrester combined must have cost us a fair bit of our budgets.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/gleeson-set-to-exit-pittodrie/

mcinnes or gleeson ? seems family issues now too ... horrendous waste of money

I don't know about the family issues but I saw an interview this morning with Theo Snelders which a mate of mine put up on Twitter. He was attending a club dinner - maybe for "Legends" - and he was standing with Willem van der Ark. What struck me was his fondness for our city. It was where he and his wife's children were born, he proudly said to Richard Gordon.

It reminded me that McInnes made a big mistake not relocating his family seven years ago. Not only must it be exhausting living apart from his wife and kids, both physically and mentally, by choosing to not induct himself into our region and way of life, he's created a division or at the very least a handicap to his own integration.

Of course we all know why he chose not to move his family here. He wasn't expecting to be here this long. He thought he was bigger and better than us. Time has since proved that he's not as good as he thought he was and some of us recognised him for what he is from day one, a loser midget charlatan. Because he was at least was semi-coherent in the media and won the diddy cup (in the worst final ever seen in Scotland, having beaten nobody to get there) our former chairman wanted him for the duration in order to have some stability on the "football side" and pursue his own interests.

I presume we are paying Gleeson to fuck off early? Cos there sure as hell won't be anyone wanting to sign him given he's at least 10kg overweight.

I had high hopes for him too. Has an excellent football brain but has never been remotely in good enough condition in his time with us.

I don't know about the family issues but I saw an interview this morning with Theo Snelders which a mate of mine put up on Twitter. He was attending a club dinner - maybe for "Legends" - and he was standing with Willem van der Ark. What struck me was his fondness for our city. It was where he and his wife's children were born, he proudly said to Richard Gordon.

It reminded me that McInnes made a big mistake not relocating his family seven years ago. Not only must it be exhausting living apart from his wife and kids, both physically and mentally, by choosing to not induct himself into our region and way of life, he's created a division or at the very least a handicap to his own integration.

Of course we all know why he chose not to move his family here. He wasn't expecting to be here this long. He thought he was bigger and better than us. Time has since proved that he's not as good as he thought he was and some of us recognised him for what he is from day one, a loser midget charlatan. Because he was at least was semi-coherent in the media and won the diddy cup (in the worst final ever seen in Scotland, having beaten nobody to get there) our former chairman wanted him for the duration in order to have some stability on the "football side" and pursue his own interests.

You’re a fuckin charlatan. Or was that a different Rocket Scientist on AFC Chat that was positively gushing in his praise of McInnes in the aftermath of winning the League Cup in 2014 ?

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Theo was pretty keen to join Rangers when he got the chance.  McInnes on the other hand chose to stay with the Dons instead of moving to Ibrox (despite his failure to "integrate")  :rofl:

You’re a fuckin charlatan. Or was that a different Rocket Scientist on AFC Chat that was positively gushing in his praise of McInnes in the aftermath of winning the League Cup in 2014 ?

Much as I and the majority of my family loved Red Parkhead, I've never gushed over McInnes. I might have praised him over the grit, determination and work rate the team showed very occasionally over the years to grind out an unexpected win but you're misrepresenting the truth here. So go fuck yourself.

Theo was pretty keen to join Rangers when he got the chance.  McInnes on the other hand chose to stay with the Dons instead of moving to Ibrox (despite his failure to "integrate")  :rofl:

Theo going to Rangers for 2, 3 or 4 times his wages doesn't invalidate that he was genuinely fond of his time in Aberdeen. McInnes not going to Rangers was a bullet dodged by them, as EVERY hun knows. The reasons that he did not go to Ibrox were various including Tony Docherty, the basket case uncertainty of their finances and most of all, Milne threw the chequebook at him.

What exactly are you disputing? What's your point? Do you have the intelligence to use the English language to say what you mean? I suspect not given your lack of imagination to say anything interesting or worthwhile, ever.

Re theo, he wasn't getting a game because Aitken was a bellend who thought stillie or watt was a better choice.

^^^^^ This

He had been with us long enough though to understand EXACTLY how pissed off the fans would be at him joining them. And going as Goram's understudy (he was actually 3rd choice for a good portion of his time there). I've sort of forgiven him now but can't deny at the time it totally sickened me

Is correct TLG

Don't think he would have gone if still what he should have been i.e first choice

The story I heard was that his wife was heavily pregnant and ready to drop. Snelders asked Aitken to miss 1, possibly 2 games  at most so as he could be with her during the birth and Aitken had went apeshit. Instead of playing Watt for a game or two he told Snelders he would never play for the club again but wouldn't be difficult to deal with if he could get himself hooked up with another club. Oldco then came in with £300k which was a lot more than Aitken was expecting (Aitken assumed he would head back to Holland or Belgium) and the board accepted it on the basis that they were getting back what they paid for him.