Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

According to Robert Grieve, James Wilson will be announced on a 2-year contract tomorrow ( After midnight now, so technically today )

Apparently it was between us and Sunderland, who apparently offered him a bumper deal, so I respect his decision if this turns out to be true, a very rare thing that, choosing Football over Money.

Fair play to him if that is true.  I hope it's the guy we saw in the last few games rather than for the majority of the season.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Surely Shankland must be worth a punt if he is considering a move to United.  Scored more goals last season than Wilson will get in his entire career.

He was very shite for most of last season. Disinterested and unable to play as part of a team. "He could turn out to be amazing/there's a player in there somewhere" is a very risky strategy for what would be a high earner in such a vital position for us. It might work, but I have a feeling that it won't. In the two half decent - and that's all they were - games he had for us toward the end of the season, he still very much looked like a player that didn't know his position and didn't know his teammates. That could just be through lack of game time towards the end of the season, but it didn't look that way - he just didn't look like a particularly intelligent footballer. The biggest problem is that even with Cosgrove and Main, I still think we're short of a good striker. We've already got wastage in that area with May, we really can't afford more. I'd have been far happier we took a punt on someone else as I don't think Wilson improves our first 11 - at best he'll be a useful addition from the bench in 1 in 5 games. He got a lot of game time last season and was generally less useful than Stevie May. Imagine we'd just had Stevie May on loan last season and we were now trying to get him on a permanent deal. That's about the right level of underwhelming.

Surely Shankland must be worth a punt if he is considering a move to United.  Scored more goals last season than Wilson will get in his entire career.

Is he not just another in the long line of Dennis Wyness's? That's the impression I've always had. Nae quite good enough in the top league, but ace in the second.

No

He's found his level. The way we play we need every player to be able to contribute to the team effort. Shankland is like Rooney (but not as good)...an out and out finisher who would contribute very little else. If the likes of St Mirren or Motherwell aren't interested then we certainly shouldn't be either

He was very shite for most of last season. Disinterested and unable to play as part of a team. "He could turn out to be amazing/there's a player in there somewhere" is a very risky strategy for what would be a high earner in such a vital position for us. It might work, but I have a feeling that it won't. In the two half decent - and that's all they were - games he had for us toward the end of the season, he still very much looked like a player that didn't know his position and didn't know his teammates. That could just be through lack of game time towards the end of the season, but it didn't look that way - he just didn't look like a particularly intelligent footballer. The biggest problem is that even with Cosgrove and Main, I still think we're short of a good striker. We've already got wastage in that area with May, we really can't afford more. I'd have been far happier we took a punt on someone else as I don't think Wilson improves our first 11 - at best he'll be a useful addition from the bench in 1 in 5 games. He got a lot of game time last season and was generally less useful than Stevie May. Imagine we'd just had Stevie May on loan last season and we were now trying to get him on a permanent deal. That's about the right level of underwhelming.

Cosgrove, Main, May, Wilson. You just know that there's going to be players stuck out in wide positions that don't fit their style of play just to accommodate them (Ref: Stewart, Aberdeen).

I've always felt that a striker needs to play, you're never going to get the best out of a forward if they only ever see the arse end of 15 minutes a game.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Is he not just another in the long line of Dennis Wyness's? That's the impression I've always had. Nae quite good enough in the top league, but ace in the second.

Never felt he got a proper crack at things first time around.  He played 17 games if you believe Wikipedia, starting just 2.  Plus he was just a youngster then, he was only 21 when he left.  We are throwing a load of cash at someone like Wilson who really has done nothing having had a full season in our first team.

Never felt he got a proper crack at things first time around.  He played 17 games if you believe Wikipedia, starting just 2.  Plus he was just a youngster then, he was only 21 when he left.  We are throwing a load of cash at someone like Wilson who really has done nothing having had a full season in our first team.

It's a reasonable argument, but I'm not sure that Shankland v Wilson is a useful comparison. That's like saying that you don't like Boris Johnson so Jeremy Hunt would be a useful prime minister. In reality, both aren't good enough based on their current showings and attributes. I'd argue that Wilson has more untapped potential than Shankland - who I think has little room for improvement - but that doesn't mean that anyone will ever see it.

Cosgrove, Main, May, Wilson. You just know that there's going to be players stuck out in wide positions that don't fit their style of play just to accommodate them (Ref: Stewart, Aberdeen).

Given that we generally play a 4-2-3-1 and we only have Hedges, McGinn, Wright and McLennan to fill the wide areas (and at least two of those are actually better through the middle) I think that you could be right. I don't think we need May and Main, so I would get rid of May. That'd leave Cosgrove and Wilson fighting for the main striker role and Main to do the May position of filling in just behind/alongside dependent on the opposition. With Anderson as the first sub with a view to him getting more game time and hopefully more goals.

I've always felt that a striker needs to play, you're never going to get the best out of a forward if they only ever see the arse end of 15 minutes a game.

Not necessarily true. Some strikers thrive on being a sub and some have useful attributes that can see them changing a game when they come on. Guys like Magennis for instance generally confused the shite out of defenders with his battering ram style. I could see Main being useful in that regard. In terms of Wilson though, I agree, he doesn't really have anything worth bringing off a bench. He's neither clever enough to fit straight in to an attack (Cosgrove is, because he has a very defined role) nor relentless enough to force a tired opponent to make mistakes.

There may well have been issues with Wilson last season that we never saw the best of him. I would imagine that we were not the only club to offer him something and he will be on nothing like his Man Ure salary, so he must like it up here and see it as a chance to get his career back on track.

From a skill and technique point of view he is head and shoulders above any of our players in my opinion, but whether we can get that from him every week is another matter, but I am happy he has come here hopefully with a point to prove.

From a skill and technique point of view he is head and shoulders above any of our players in my opinion

Nine times out of ten, that "technique" ended in him launching a shot 6 miles over the crossbar because he clearly hadn't perfected it in any match setting. He tried to do the modern style kicking under the ball technique on numerous occasions and was only succesful once (he had a great connection against Killie in the final game against them but it was too close to the keeper). It's really not that useful unless it's consistent and isn't done at the expense of all other parts of his game (which it was). Goodwillie also had great technique. Ferguson is just as good, technically, as Wilson in my opinion but backs it up by playing the game with his teammates in mind.

So far, senior players only........

OUT - Graeme Shinnie, Gary Mackay-Steven, Mark Reynolds, Greg Halford, Greg Stewart, Dominic Ball & Max Lowe

IN - Curtis Main, James Wilson, Ryan Hedges, Ash Taylor, Craig Bryson, Greg Leigh & Jon Gallagher

Allegedly, Stephen Gleeson is in talks with a couple of Clubs in England, not sure what to make of that given McInnes said he's actually injured, but could be true ( Easy does it Rico ) and we also apparently agreed terms with Sunderland regarding McGeouch, but failed to agree personal terms with him. Midfielder being the main target before Friday, just won't be McGeouch.

James Wilson confirmed. 2 Year Contract right enough.

Midfielder, McGeough ahead of Friday ?

Few players out on loan before end of August

Maybe a couple of loans in and we're good to go.

Only problem with timing of Wilson he is already a couple of weeks behind in terms of pre season.

Agree, we’ve managed to get business done early. Hopefully a permanent deal central midfielder then pad out the squad with another loan signing or two. I think Wilson is quite a coup, I’m sure he had options for a lot more money. Obviously divided opinions but there is a player there, maybe the reality check of not being at Man U will be the needed kick up the arse.

Read somewhere DM sees Wilson as a wide player but with Wilson we have enough forwards and wide players now. Maybe a back up Ball type player (not in ability but a player who can play multiple positions) but I think we have quite a balanced squad.

McGeouch coming to us we would need to at very least match his Sunderland wages of £8k/wk. Whilst I'm certain we could and would do that for the correct player......I'm not certain McGeouch is that right player.

Indeed I'd love to know how much we are spunking on Wilson. I really hope it works out....if he shines we might make a nice profit on him come January or next summer. But if he matches last season's performance then it's money down the toilet.

McGeouch coming to us we would need to at very least match his Sunderland wages of £8k/wk. Whilst I'm certain we could and would do that for the correct player......I'm not certain McGeouch is that right player.

Indeed I'd love to know how much we are spunking on Wilson. I really hope it works out....if he shines we might make a nice profit on him come January or next summer. But if he matches last season's performance then it's money down the toilet.

Purely just a guestimate TC, but i would imagine we are paying Wilson somewhere around  the £5/6 k a week mark, which is still big money for us .

Credit where its due, this has been a really good window for us imo.  Even more so if we get mcgeoch.  I'm starting to feel very confident about the new season.

Especially when you see who our closest competitors are signing, not a lot to worry about in my honest opinion. Still need to get it right come match day of course, and there's still a long way to go until the window closes, but I feel cautiously optimistic ( tm Craig Brown ) heading into this season. Would love us to reach the group stages in the Europa League this time.

Not one of the teams purportedly interested in May could get anywhere near paying him what we are. He certainly won't be moving anywhere to make less than what he would here over the 2 years left on his contract. So I'd imagine we are going to give him either a minimum of 1 years wages as a lump sum (£4k/wk = £200k approx.) or agree to subsidise his wages for the 2 years to the tune of around 50%-65%.

Either way it's a bit of a bitter pill just to get him out the door