Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Devlin came on against Hearts, he looked mobile enough and wasn't holding back from getting stuck in. It would be hard to see how he could be sufficiently fucked to warrant signing Ash Taylor, even if it is just based on those 20 minutes.

When Devlin came on against Hearts, he looked mobile enough and wasn't holding back from getting stuck in. It would be hard to see how he could be sufficiently fucked to warrant signing Ash Taylor, even if it is just based on those 20 minutes.

Just find it very strange that he couldn't displace Considine from the team since supposedly returning to fitness after the injury sustained whilst away with Scotland (did we ever get a satisfactory explanation of what the exact nature of the problem?)

And when he did start (other CH's injured or suspended) he generally couldn't play the full 90 minutes. There's just something not sitting right with me about this one. Gash is no world beater (to put it mildly) but at this stage of his career he isn't going to sign for anyone to be a back up option. Nor would have Shaughnessy.

Retard going with the Gash story. Says he does have other options.

More interestingly. they reckon we want Lowe for another years loan (no shit) but that if it doesn't come off we will target Nathan Ralph from the caravan dwellers (nope me neither...)

Photo doing the rounds of Ashton at what is apparently Dyce airport.

This is also in BBC gossip today.

Aberdeen have begun their summer recruitment drive by agreeing to sign out-of-contract striker Curtis Main from Motherwell and holding talks with former Dons defender Ash Taylor, who is available on a free. (Daily Express, print edition)

Taylor was far from the worst defender we have ever had and at times could look very good, but him re-signing doesn't fill me with much optimism.

Curtis Main though really gives me feeling of dread and has to be a wind up.

I actually thought Main looked quite useful against us last time they played up here, having previously thought he was a lot worse. He wasn't the donkey I'd thought he was. That's not a compliment, just an observation, being "not as shite as I first though" shouldn't be our signing benchmark. We can't retain May and Main though, that would be mental.

Taylor was strong/tall, a good tackler and his pace got him out of several of the problems he created. However, his Ifil-level of ball-kicking is a huge issue when we need our defenders to be taking the ball out of defence in the majority of our games. His positioning and general game-intelligence was seriously lacking. I don't think he offers anything we don't already have. Shug, for example, is a significantly better footballer as is Henry at the tim and the Livi boy that Hearts have signed. I'm not sure the purpose in this type of signing other than being a known quantity and so relatively low risk. Whether we like it or not, low risk is very important in this window because of the volume of transfers required (Main fits into this bracket too).

Neither Taylor or Main are the type of player that is going to help us on progress to be become a  "Challenger club" or whatever corporate pish they released last week.

Main is not even the best player at 8th placed Motherwell and Taylor was a fucking bombscare when he was with us before. If this is the level of player we are looking at then I can see me regretting the purchase of a season ticket before the season has even started.

The signing of main surprises me, I cant see how he offers anything more upfront than what we currently have.

Taylor I am more relaxed on. I think he would make an ok squad player.

Taylor would not be a squad player, that's the issue.

Neither Taylor or Main are the type of player that is going to help us on progress to be become a  "Challenger club" or whatever corporate pish they released last week.

Main is not even the best player at 8th placed Motherwell and Taylor was a fucking bombscare when he was with us before. If this is the level of player we are looking at then I can see me regretting the purchase of a season ticket before the season has even started.

This. Although when I read it, I noticed it was The Express running the story so I figured once Prince Phillip has admitted to arranging the murder of Diana, Maddie McCann has been rescued from a foreign paedo ring and we have 10 foot snowdrifts in August, we can expect to see Taylor and Main at the Dons.

Says who? He's just been released by a team that finished 15th in League Two - he's in no position to be demanding big money or a guaranteed starting spot. Sounds more like McInnes is doing him a favour by securing him a contract for next season.

We were short in defence this season. As much as I'm not a fan of Taylor, having him around for the last two months of the season would have been handy.

I think we'll still sign another CB even if and when Taylor signs. Think the club are still interested in Hoban. No idea what the story is with Shaughnessy - has he signed a new St Johnstone deal or gone elsewhere? The talks with Aberdeen have dragged on since January.....though maybe he's actually the CB we're on the verge of announcing and not Taylor.

Anyway, back to Taylor. I'm fairly relaxed about it as long as it's not taking too much out of the budget. A fully fit Devlin is still a better player than him. Bit of competition for places can't hurt though.

The signing of main surprises me, I cant see how he offers anything more upfront than what we currently have.

Taylor I am more relaxed on. I think he would make an ok squad player.

Main I'm pretty "meh" about, but he has caused Aberdeen problems in the past.

My main concern is that McInnes appears to be becoming more committed to his hoof ball tactics and this signing, and Taylor too if you like due to his penchant for going forward as an auxiliary striker, kinda fits in with that.

Says who? He's just been released by a team that finished 15th in League Two - he's in no position to be demanding big money or a guaranteed starting spot. Sounds more like McInnes is doing him a favour by securing him a contract for next season.

We were short in defence this season. As much as I'm not a fan of Taylor, having him around for the last two months of the season would have been handy.

I think we'll still sign another CB even if and when Taylor signs. Think the club are still interested in Hoban. No idea what the story is with Shaughnessy - has he signed a new St Johnstone deal or gone elsewhere? The talks with Aberdeen have dragged on since January.....though maybe he's actually the CB we're on the verge of announcing and not Taylor.

Anyway, back to Taylor. I'm fairly relaxed about it as long as it's not taking too much out of the budget. A fully fit Devlin is still a better player than him. Bit of competition for places can't hurt though.

You could be right, however the bit in bold was what I based my assumptions on. That he'd be far too expensive for a squad player. Put it this way, I think that we could get far cheaper squad players (like Devlin, who I expect would be on less than Taylor).

Think Taylor would be on less than Devlin. Former accies captain is young and was very highly rated pre injury. Taylor just left a lower level league two team ffs.

I see Taylor in the same light as Considine in that we’ll get good performances from him, some goals, but at any time I expect a major fuck up that will cost us a goal and a game. Really disappointed if this is the best we can do, with Main too. Serious questions asked about our scouting or lack of yet again.

I think he would be an ok back up, probably on par or even slightly better than Considine to be honest.

A concern would be is that we again seem to be basing a lot of our player searching based on a players decent performance from about 2-3 seasons previous. I thought we may have learned our lesson about that.

Taylor won't have left us to join Northampton on even the same pay he got from us. He will now be demanding a pay that if he joins will put him in our top 5 earners. And as Ive said before....he wont be wanting to join up as a squad player.

Devlin would have been the highest paid player at Accies as captain. But they pay peanuts....I doubt he is getting much more than somewhere around our average pay which would leave him as one of the worst paid first teamers. And rightly so having had his knee reconstructed twice. He was a gamble when we signed him

Taylor won't have left us to join Northampton on even the same pay he got from us. He will now be demanding a pay that if he joins will put him in our top 5 earners. And as Ive said before....he wont be wanting to join up as a squad player.

Devlin would have been the highest paid player at Accies as captain. But they pay peanuts....I doubt he is getting much more than somewhere around our average pay which would leave him as one of the worst paid first teamers. And rightly so having had his knee reconstructed twice. He was a gamble when we signed him

I have absolutely no idea like, but those were certainly my assumptions too.

Can't think Northampton were paying him much, so can't have been on a great deal here first time round. Their top earners would be taking home nowhere near what ours do.

Unless they were gambling on wages at that time which may be true as think they signed Billy Waters from Cheltenham by paying more than they could. Might explain why both are now being let go.