Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Jonny Hayes

SeeBass

1 minute ago, BigAl said:

Hayes has officially left the club to pursue a professional coaching role elsewhere (presumably The Victims) 

Thanks for the memories Johnny 

I'm quite surprised at how sad I am he's not sticking around.  Maybe his family are still down in the central belt 

Shame he's not sticking around, big heart and no one can forget what he did for the club / fans during Covid. It does irk me that he's likely joining them, but it won't tarnish my image of him. I've no doubt he'll be a good coach.

So what's the thoughts with this - praise him for his contribution up until he takes a job at Celtic, then disown him for ditching us for them for a second time?

Only fair I reckon.

For now I'd say he walks into a Dons XI for the past 10 years, and quite possibly 25 years too. A fantastic player at his peak and we got the best of him. And even when the legs got old you could never criticise his work rate.

I actually have no problem with him moving on if the offer he has from elsewhere (even from the Victims) is more what he sees as what he wants to do. 

Would definitely get into best post Fergie  team for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Hands down. And as I said, it doesn’t make me think less of him. He’s always been a Tim, but never stopped him from putting his all in for the team.

On 07/06/2024 at 07:50, Jute said:

On 07/06/2024 at 09:16, manc_don said:

Hands down. 

Interesting debate. What would the post-Ferguson team be? 

Snelders

McNaughton Anderson McKenna Robertson

Mason Bett Jess

Nicholas Shearer Gillhaus

Can’t remember much about Brian Irvine other than the cup final penalty so possibly him ahead of McKenna.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Snelders

McNaughton Anderson McKenna Robertson

Mason Bett Jess

Nicholas Shearer Gillhaus

Can’t remember much about Brian Irvine other than the cup final penalty so possibly him ahead of McKenna.

Hard one to pick 11. I’d also argue the lineup above is more like 5 forwards, jess and mason being forwards.

We’ve had talent too, some have just stayed with us longer. Does this come with the requirement of being in a good team?? Or with us x years?

Was Shay Logan in his prime better than Kev? McKimmie was with us post Ferguson and arguably our best ever right back.

Irvine was a die hard but limited player, not unlike considine. Not a top 11 player but certainly a top don. McKenna is a better player. Although I always thought arnason was an excellent central defender. Anderson was also pretty shit early on.

Seve was excellent for us, injury limited his career. Was mcginn or Hayes in their prime better than mason?
zero probably compares to gilhaus?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hold on, what's the rules here, because Miller & McLeish both played post-Fergie. Or is it only players who never played under Fergie?

Option One (with Fergie players)

Snelders

McKimmie W.Miller McLeish Robertson

J.Miller Jess Bett Richardson Weir

Gillhaus 

Option two (without Fergie players)

Snelders

McNaughton Anderson Severin Robertson 

J.Miller* Jess Bisconti Richardson Glass/Hayes**

Gillhaus 

*Technically he signed a second time in 1993 so this is Joe Miller #2. He was my favourite player growing up and 12 year old me wouldn't allow his exclusion. 

**Actually hard to pick between the two 

Edited by Panda

Never understood the love for Bisconti. Absolute dickhead of a man too, I think it was a Rangers game at Pittodrie where he pretended to be injured so he could come off. Ramadani was better than him.

I loved Zerouali but he wasn’t anywhere close to being on the same level as Gillhaus. Gillhaus was probably in the top 50 strikers in the world when we bought him.

Didn’t realise Bett played under Fergie, I’ll swap Severin in for him then.

Snelders 

McNaugton Anderson McKenna Robertson

Jess Severin Mason Hayes

Shearer Gilhuas

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I am still not sure about Shearer ahead of Charlie and must have changed midfield 3 or 4 times. I was thinking of sticking in 5 subs but found that list kept growing.

Probably come back and edit this at some point. 

55 minutes ago, Jute said:

Snelders 

McNaugton Anderson McKenna Robertson

Jess Severin Mason Hayes

Shearer Gilhuas

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I am still not sure about Shearer ahead of Charlie and must have changed midfield 3 or 4 times. I was thinking of sticking in 5 subs but found that list kept growing.

Probably come back and edit this at some point. 

Hayes in his prime over mcginn in his prime? Tough to split them!

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

Hayes in his prime over mcginn in his prime? Tough to split them!

McGinn was played on the opposite side when Hayes was with us so for me it was more an argument over McGinn and Jess. As I said I was surprised at how many positions I actually ended up with more than choice for. 

3 hours ago, Jute said:

See I had forgotten about him. 

Wright was a super player, according to Wikipedia he played 150 games and 5 seasons for us, didn’t realize it was that much. Also thought we had more than one season with wright and Robertson at full backs together, arguably the two best fullbacks in Scotland at the time.

i was crushed when Robertson went to rangers, an Aberdeen lad who knew the hatred we had for rangers. I think wright was a bellshill lad and a rangers fan, a little different…..but not much!

still dont see mason as a midfielder, especially not a central midfielder, he was a forward. Id be inclined to go with Seve and Peter Nicholas. Dont recall why he only played one season for us, but quality. Then again, he left us for Chelsea, not a bad move. Tough to ignore Lee Richardson, he didn’t get a fair deal up here, what I wouldn’t give for a player like him today.

7 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Joe miller???? You been day drinking?

to be fair it has to be players who never played for Ferguson.

Loved watching him play. An old fashioned winger who was great at taking players on.

He was, you could argue, similar to Hayes.

7 minutes ago, Panda said:

Loved watching him play. An old fashioned winger who was great at taking players on.

I remember him and Paul wright being good in the tenants sixes. Plus he never aged, always looked 12….

18 minutes ago, Panda said:

Both great players on their day but could either hold a candle to Haraldur Ingolfsson?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

If, by similar, you mean much shitter.

Behave yourself otherwise I'll get Rico bumped from everyone's teams.

Or worse, I'll pick him but play him as a holding midfielder.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 1