Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Andy Murray

K-9

• 1 month later...

I hope there is but he has shat it in 2 finals so far, horrendous nose bleeds and he has a flimsy temperament to say the least.

That's unfair.  He was simply beaten by a better player in the US Open and Australian Open finals.  If Federer plays anything like his best he will always blow Murray away... which is exactly what he did.  I watched those matches and Federer was absolutely breath-taking.  The tears at the end of the match in Australia I feel were born out of frustration.  In the US Open I'm not sure he believed he'd beat Federer.  However, his game reached a new level last year - he was playing the best Tennis of his career, but he found out against Federer that was not enough.  Federer is better than Murray - a lot better.  Probably that was the first time in his career he realised that he might not be good enough to ever win a grand slam - because contrary to what other people say, I believe he has great self-belief, so that will have been a huge psychological blow.  I think he went into that match last year expecting to win.  He was untouchable prior to the final - but he met his match.

I watch him a lot and his temperament has improved over the past few years.  I can't remember the last time he self destructed on court, which he obviously was prone to doing when he was a teenager - unfortunately he'll always have this reputation.

If Murray is good enough, he'll win a Slam.  The issue for me is his serve.  It's inconsistent and against Federer and Nadal it will be exposed.  He needs to serve a high percentage of first serves to have a chance - if he doesn't, he lose.  For the next few years he'll always have a chance at Flushing Meadows and Melbourne... however I don't think he has a chance at Wimbledon or Roland Garros - if he comes against a flat hitter, with a big forehand he'll always lose on those surfaces.

I was at his match against against Marchenko on Friday and he looks in great shape.  His destruction of Melzer today was as good as I've ever seen him play.  His return of service was amazing.  It's the best in Tennis - Melzer has big serve, but he just couldn't hold against Murray - at one point Murray was returning 90% of his serves - thats incredible.  There was just no respite.  Melzer is the world number 10, or he will be on Monday, but Murray made him look weak there.  It was also the most aggressive I've ever seen him play - his forehand was big and deep.

This qualifier he plays in the next round is obviously a danger, in the same way that Tsonga was a couple of years ago, but if he plays the way he did today, then we'll have another great occassion on Friday.

That's unfair.  He was simply beaten by a better player in the US Open and Australian Open finals.  If Federer plays anything like his best he will always blow Murray away... which is exactly what he did.  I watched those matches and Federer was absolutely breath-taking.  The tears at the end of the match in Australia I feel were born out of frustration.  In the US Open I'm not sure he believed he'd beat Federer.  However, his game reached a new level last year - he was playing the best Tennis of his career, but he found out against Federer that was not enough.  Federer is better than Murray - a lot better.  Probably that was the first time in his career he realised that he might not be good enough to ever win a grand slam - because contrary to what other people say, I believe he has great self-belief, so that will have been a huge psychological blow.  I think he went into that match last year expecting to win.  He was untouchable prior to the final - but he met his match.

I watch him a lot and his temperament has improved over the past few years.  I can't remember the last time he self destructed on court, which he obviously was prone to doing when he was a teenager - unfortunately he'll always have this reputation.

If Murray is good enough, he'll win a Slam.  The issue for me is his serve.  It's inconsistent and against Federer and Nadal it will be exposed.  He needs to serve a high percentage of first serves to have a chance - if he doesn't, he lose.  For the next few years he'll always have a chance at Flushing Meadows and Melbourne... however I don't think he has a chance at Wimbledon or Roland Garros - if he comes against a flat hitter, with a big forehand he'll always lose on those surfaces.

I was at his match against against Marchenko on Friday and he looks in great shape.  His destruction of Melzer today was as good as I've ever seen him play.  His return of service was amazing.  It's the best in Tennis - Melzer has big serve, but he just couldn't hold against Murray - at one point Murray was returning 90% of his serves - thats incredible.  There was just no respite.  Melzer is the world number 10, or he will be on Monday, but Murray made him look weak there.  It was also the most aggressive I've ever seen him play - his forehand was big and deep.

This qualifier he plays in the next round is obviously a danger, in the same way that Tsonga was a couple of years ago, but if he plays the way he did today, then we'll have another great occassion on Friday.

Very good  post.

Sounds like another humping last night, and Soderling was knocked out so he has a slightly easier quarter final.  Could really do with Nadal getting punted out though!

Very good  post.

Sounds like another humping last night, and Soderling was knocked out so he has a slightly easier quarter final.  Could really do with Nadal getting punted out though!

This is Nadals first proper test.  We'll find out tonight if he's completely over his virus.  Cilic is a good player who has the weapons to beat the top guys.  Cilic beat Del Potro as last years Australian Open while he was reigning US Open Champ and he beat Murray in the 2009 US Open.  I like him a lot and if he can be more consistent he'll make the top 5 one day.